what's in a brush pant?

ptwysocki

17 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

They're a little stiff but that's to be expected, but that's just walking around the house, I'm sure they'll break in.  Not even as bad as new Carhartts, as a comparison.  Still can't believe how small they run, but it's a known issue.  

That goes with most of their clothes. The reviewers said the jacket runs small and I’m between XL and XXL so I ordered the XXL and it’s perfect. Sleeves seem a bit long but I’ve only put it on once. It should get its first hunt test this week.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swampy 16

• chilly460

• ScenicRoute

• Dave Erickson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really like Dan upland bibs. They also make pants. the bibs are great for me as they can be worn alone over shorts when hot, or over jeans if its cold or really nasty briars. Also easy to take on an

My wife just bought these for Christmas for me. Briar proof right up to the belt.  She ordered them in early December. They confirmed availability and gave a shipping date. Christmas week she hadn’t

I don't like heavy brush pants so I just wear regular pants and stop at a hospital for a blood transfusion on the way home each day.

Posted Images

I see that the thorn proof pants are no longer made and replaced with thorn resistance.

Any difference? I understand the difference between proof and resistant. Are the new ones less of a brush pant?

I've got a 20 year old pair of Cabelas briar pants that are somehow still in one piece (mostly).  They have been repaired a number of times.  I did buy a backup pair a few years ago.  I've decided to start wearing them this year and retire my old pair.  

14 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

I see that the thorn proof pants are no longer made and replaced with thorn resistance.

Any difference? I understand the difference between proof and resistant. Are the new ones less of a brush pant?

Nothing is proof.  But the ones currently available are the ones to get.  

2 hours ago, grouse28 said:

What ScenicRoute said. I’ve never seen the Briar Proof pant, only the jacket. I was going to get that jacket but picked the Breakaway because the hood folds into the collar.

20 hours ago, ptwysocki said:

Originally was leaning towards the orvis stuff, but they're just too tight.  Again with layering, and we're bigger set...they just are too restrictive for me.  

Also really like the Pyke Tioga pants...and normally could care less about looks over function -- but then i realized i met my limit are the dark blacked out grey they use..

FWIW, Both Orvis and Pyke Gear are UJ Ad Sponsors so I’m glad to see them get some ink. Did you mean the Pyke Kiowa pant? Pyke  just came out with a new Upland pant called the Tongass Hybrid Upland Pant: Pyke Tongass Hybrid Upland Pant

I used to hunt in light filson chaps and bluejeans or whatever pants.  Now I just wear snake gaiters or knee high snake boots.  Cold isn't a factor in the South until it is; then I stay home because it is usually wet as well...SelbyLowndes

6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

FWIW, Both Orvis and Pyke Gear are UJ Ad Sponsors so I’m glad to see them get some ink. Did you mean the Pyke Kiowa pant? Pyke  just came out with a new Upland pant called the Tongass Hybrid Upland Pant: Pyke Tongass Hybrid Upland Pant

sorry about that i actually meant the Tongass pant.  Looks great...wonder how well it turns thorns and briars with the breathability it's known for.  I hope they come out with other colors.

LL Bean with “tick cuff” . I have used them several years in New England, having the tick cuff is added protection from those little SOB’s. 627

I really think lower body protection goes to where you are hunting.  I am/was a chaps guy.  Our weather here in Southernmost IL is more Southern then Northern and we dont have a supply of grouse (like none) so we are much less likely to encounter the "roughness" of northern haunts.  Sure, we have briars and thorny stuff but back when we had ample quail most were pointed along cultivated fields or open woods in proximity to same.  Our woodcock hunting is done in our typical habitat which consists of wet areas mixed with some overstory.  Not really that rough.

I chose chaps after spending a number of years wearing those old Red Head double faced canvas pants.  They worked great but, as others have said,  I sure wanted out of them as soon as we got back to the truck.  So I went to chaps worn over blue jeans.  

I currently have three kinds of chaps in the truck.  One pair looks like Filson but I can remember if they are or aren't.  The second pair my wife made for me when we were in the canvass business and they are double thickness up the front and halfway up the back of the leg.  They breath a bit better then the first ones so I use them a good bit.  The third were made for me by and outfit out of Texas as "Snake Proof" and I believe them.  These things weigh a ton and will stand in the corner by themselves.  I have only ever been hit once with these chaps on and I think the snake (pretty good sized diamondback in Texas)  was embarrassed after the hit and just before my shot.  Both fangs were broke off in the primary layer of Nylon fabric.  

Chaps for me.  Not pants  

I wear Filson Single Tin waxed finish pants in thick brush and cooler temps and single tin dry finish pants out west in warmer temps. They have worked for me since 1995. But they wear out at the knees above the tops of my knee high boots. 
They have greatly increased in price from $79 at first to over $200 now. Filson has replaced them a couple of times for free. 

What material resists these buggers? Ive been picking these things off my pants, shirts and dogs for 3 days. I dont know what they are but we picked them up in a Pheasants Forever managed piece of land. Hope its good for the birds cause it sucks for us. 

3A3D2422-D1A5-4E11-9EFB-E334FBF14EFA.jpeg

7181F242-C6D4-440F-ACD0-8A8EA65F1B8B.jpeg

6 minutes ago, UplandHntr said:

What material resists these buggers? Ive been picking these things off my pants, shirts and dogs for 3 days. I dont know what they are but we picked them up in a Pheasants Forever managed piece of land. Hope its good for the birds cause it sucks for us. 

3A3D2422-D1A5-4E11-9EFB-E334FBF14EFA.jpeg

7181F242-C6D4-440F-ACD0-8A8EA65F1B8B.jpeg

They won’t stick to the Beretta Thornproof, Thorn Resistant Pant, or Breakaway GTX. I never pick them up when wearing them. I’ve seen these and picked them off me many times. It’s called Showy Tick-Trefoil.

FWIW, I will be making a purchase of the Dan's bibs this year. Reasonable price and I love their chaps. Have been holding off because I thought they would be too hot, but what the heck. 

2 minutes ago, Tom Avent said:

FWIW, I will be making a purchase of the Dan's bibs this year. Reasonable price and I love their chaps. Have been holding off because I thought they would be too hot, but what the heck. 

I have some of that stuff and it’s very loud when pushing through brush.