what's in a brush pant?

ptwysocki

12 minutes ago, UplandHntr said:

What material resists these buggers? Ive been picking these things off my pants, shirts and dogs for 3 days. I dont know what they are but we picked them up in a Pheasants Forever managed piece of land. Hope its good for the birds cause it sucks for us. 

3A3D2422-D1A5-4E11-9EFB-E334FBF14EFA.jpeg

7181F242-C6D4-440F-ACD0-8A8EA65F1B8B.jpeg

I find those every once in a while and simply use a knife to slide along the fabric will I'm still wearing the clothes.  Easy Peasy.  They easily come off with the blade.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swampy 16

• chilly460

• ScenicRoute

• Dave Erickson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really like Dan upland bibs. They also make pants. the bibs are great for me as they can be worn alone over shorts when hot, or over jeans if its cold or really nasty briars. Also easy to take on an

My wife just bought these for Christmas for me. Briar proof right up to the belt.  She ordered them in early December. They confirmed availability and gave a shipping date. Christmas week she hadn’t

I don't like heavy brush pants so I just wear regular pants and stop at a hospital for a blood transfusion on the way home each day.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

I have some of that stuff and it’s very loud when pushing through brush. 

Unless it is very late season, I don't worry too much about noise when bird hunting. I don't hunt deer, so no issues there.

24 minutes ago, UplandHntr said:

What material resists these buggers? Ive been picking these things off my pants, shirts and dogs for 3 days. I dont know what they are but we picked them up in a Pheasants Forever managed piece of land. Hope its good for the birds cause it sucks for us. 

3A3D2422-D1A5-4E11-9EFB-E334FBF14EFA.jpeg

7181F242-C6D4-440F-ACD0-8A8EA65F1B8B.jpeg

We call them beggar ticks.  They stick to just about everything, especially fleece.  I threw an almost new fleece jacket away once because it had so many on it.  They were stuck tight and the jacket was covered with them.  Out you you find them in fence rows and along creeks and as far as I know, nothing eats them.

25 minutes ago, Tom Avent said:

Unless it is very late season, I don't worry too much about noise when bird hunting. I don't hunt deer, so no issues there.

I like to be stealthy while grouse hunting because I don’t use a dog. I need to get as close as possible before the pull their trigger. This way I get to pull my trigger. Grouse are just too spooky.

2 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

I like to be stealthy while grouse hunting because I don’t use a dog. I need to get as close as possible before the pull their trigger. This way I get to pull my trigger. Grouse are just too spooky.

Ghillie suit. 

48 minutes ago, airmedic1 said:

We call them beggar ticks.  They stick to just about everything, especially fleece.  I threw an almost new fleece jacket away once because it had so many on it.  They were stuck tight and the jacket was covered with them.  Out you you find them in fence rows and along creeks and as far as I know, nothing eats them.

ive found begger lice , that's what we call what's in the bottom pic and quail eat them. I've found them in there craw.  I used to hate that stuff but now I like to find it because I know birds will eat it.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:43 AM, chilly460 said:

A favorite topic.  As far as I can tell, none of them are as good as advertised.  

I have Orvis Pro LTs, they are extremely light and flexible, but may as well be wearing linen pants...zero thorn protection.  Light cover only.  

I have Carhartt Rugged Flex as linked above.  Nice and light, and flexible.  They do NOT turn medium to heavy briars, and they'll tear if you have to push a briar patch.  

Dan's gear.  I haven't actually worn this in the field, I want to buy some but I try some on in the store and I'm hot within 45sec, I'd sweat to death in that stuff.  

Full Cordura faced old school - Brand nobody will know, bought at Gander about 8 yrs ago.  VERY briar proof, and by now they're comfortable, but god help you if they get wet they weigh 15lbs.  

I have hope in the Beretta ThornProofs I picked up on Swamp's suggestion, they do appear to check a lot of boxes but we shall see.  And of course they were $$.  

Have you worn the Beretta’s yet?

2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Wore mine again today. They’re awesome.  Still not nearly as comfortable as some claim.  But wgaf 

On 9/21/2020 at 12:18 PM, ptwysocki said:

spent my newbie upland career in basic cabelas type briar pants.  stiff, hot and were literally duck taped by years end.

deciding to upgrade on pants and boots this year.   Got the old man a pair of Firstlite sawbuck brush pants, and might gift myself a pair as well.

for the sake of trying another pair since he'll have the sawbucks for me to run with as well, figured I'd see what anyone else would recommend?  We hunt NE pheasant so it's usually pretty chilly and requires always a base layer (Whether it be a lightweight or cold weather one).

I was checking out the first lite corrugate pant, but didn't know how it would hold up to brush/briars.  I do like the elastic waist band...seems just more comfortable and flexible as you're layering/moving throughout the day.

Originally was leaning towards the orvis stuff, but they're just too tight.  Again with layering, and we're bigger set...they just are too restrictive for me.  

Also really like the Pyke Tioga pants...and normally could care less about looks over function -- but then i realized i met my limit are the dark blacked out grey they use..

ANYONE HAVE SOME TECHNICAL UPLAND PANTS THAT HAVE BEEN FIELD/BRIAR TESTED?  LIGHTWEIGHT ISN'T AN ISSUE, AS I'VE FOUND I CAN LAYER AS NEEDED.

I have two pair of the corrugate pants. They work great in open prairie, chukar, hun and most pheasant habitat. I wear them mule deer, bear  and elk hunting too. But not great when busting brush, thorns, cattails. Too soft. Need different gear for different conditions.

5 hours ago, ScenicRoute said:

Wore mine again today. They’re awesome.  Still not nearly as comfortable as some claim.  But wgaf 

I’m surprised ! Maybe it’s the fit?

2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

I’m surprised ! Maybe it’s the fit?

No the fit is fine.  The material is just not as comfortable.  I have two pairs each through a season so they’re “broken-in” 

11 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Hell, we're still in shorts weather in VA!!  Actually, did break out my Orvis Pro Lites for training last week because they're super light, so haven't gotten to the Beretta's yet.  Cooler this weekend so I'll break them out when I go training, bird season still a ways off down here so no "real" testing.  Well, the real test will be cramming my fat ass in them after Covid weight gain :)

Kansas Bound
9 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

Anyone have an opinion on the Orvis Softshell pants? 

I have a pair.  They do have a lot of features but I seem to wear the Orvis Missouri pants more often.