what's in a brush pant?

ptwysocki

Dave Erickson
9 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

I have a pair.  They do have a lot of features but I seem to wear the Orvis Missouri pants more often.  

Which of the two keep you cooler? The softshell pants look comfortable, but I fount their softshell jacket didn't breathe enough for this sweat hog.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swampy 16

• chilly460

• ScenicRoute

• Dave Erickson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really like Dan upland bibs. They also make pants. the bibs are great for me as they can be worn alone over shorts when hot, or over jeans if its cold or really nasty briars. Also easy to take on an

My wife just bought these for Christmas for me. Briar proof right up to the belt.  She ordered them in early December. They confirmed availability and gave a shipping date. Christmas week she hadn’t

I don't like heavy brush pants so I just wear regular pants and stop at a hospital for a blood transfusion on the way home each day.

Posted Images

Kansas Bound
2 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

Which of the two keep you cooler? The softshell pants look comfortable, but I fount their softshell jacket didn't breathe enough for this sweat hog.

Good question, personally I don't notice a difference.  The Missouri pants are more a softer traditional type fabric that I find comfortable.  The softshell is a new fabric that makes the famous swishing loud sound.  

Disclaimer: The Missouri pants got a fresh makeover for this year so it might be slightly different from my experiences.  

3 hours ago, Dave Erickson said:

Anyone have an opinion on the Orvis Softshell pants? 

I have the jacket and it’s incredible. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the pants if I needed them.

The orvis Missouri breaks are like a glorified khaki.  Offer almost zero briar protection.   They are comfy but not functional. 

Orvis tough shell chaps are some of the best money ive ever spent. Would assume the same of the pants

5 hours ago, Speaks said:

Orvis tough shell chaps are some of the best money ive ever spent. Would assume the same of the pants

I had a pair sent to the house and though well made I couldn’t see walking any distance in them. They fit me well but had zero flex and little to no maneuverability.

10 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

I had a pair sent to the house and though well made I couldn’t see walking any distance in them. They fit me well but had zero flex and little to no maneuverability.

That surprises me, I have the chaps not the pants but they were surprisingly flexible. Night and day difference compared to my filsons but that is likely not a fair comparison. I could see where it could be different with full pants though. 

4 hours ago, Speaks said:

That surprises me, I have the chaps not the pants but they were surprisingly flexible. Night and day difference compared to my filsons but that is likely not a fair comparison. I could see where it could be different with full pants though. 

I rabbit hunted for years in Double Tins. They are not built for speed, lol.

I prefer a pair of Filson pants with a single tin front facing. Think the pair I have was called a dry finish tin cloth with oil finish single tin face.  Also have a pair of the green/tan, Double tin hunting pants. Filson pants fit me very well, crotch does not sag (no comments please) and the legs are a little narrow so they don't drag through cover. Nothing seems to penetrate the facing. The dry finish portion will pick up burrs, the oiled tin does not. Have had the pants for a number of years and refresh the oil finish every couple years.

I gave up on brush pants when my last pair wore out.  I now wear Riggs ripstop work pants with chaps when needed. They are much more comfortable, practical and cost less to boot.

I don't like heavy brush pants so I just wear regular pants and stop at a hospital for a blood transfusion on the way home each day.

Have had the old Carhartt briar pants for 25 yrs.  Can't wear them out, but can't break them in, either!  All kidding aside, they've lasted forever, but man they are stiff.

I use whatever, but I do like the Mountain Khakis with the double front like the Carrharts...and then if it is really rough I pull out the Wick's bibs.

This is my all around choice link; https://www.wrangler.com/shop/wrangler-riggs-workwear-utility-jean-3W030.html

They breath pretty well and are very comfortable for me. I do understand that t5hey don't provide quite as much protection from sharp, long spined

prickly stuff but for north central grouse hunting and pounding local cover for pheasants they serve admirably.