what's in a brush pant?

ptwysocki

On 9/30/2020 at 8:12 PM, Swampy 16 said:

Have you worn the Beretta’s yet?

I did finally wear them today.  Work’s been awful so had to take some calls this morning which pushed dog training into the afternoon rains.  I wore the Berettas and they’re the real deal, pushed waist high heavy grass in the rain and my legs stayed bone dry.  My Outdoor Research light rain jacket lost the battle an hour in, so the Berettas performance is pretty impressive considering they had a much tougher job with all the wet grass. 

I will say again, not real happy with the fit, they’re cut like skinny jeans.  Plenty of room in the waist but they’re tight through the thighs and butt, going to be tough to lift my legs up and over slash in the woods.  My Orvis and Carharrtt brush pants fit better.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swampy 16

• chilly460

• ScenicRoute

• Dave Erickson

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really like Dan upland bibs. They also make pants. the bibs are great for me as they can be worn alone over shorts when hot, or over jeans if its cold or really nasty briars. Also easy to take on an

My wife just bought these for Christmas for me. Briar proof right up to the belt.  She ordered them in early December. They confirmed availability and gave a shipping date. Christmas week she hadn’t

I don't like heavy brush pants so I just wear regular pants and stop at a hospital for a blood transfusion on the way home each day.

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

I did finally wear them today.  Work’s been awful so had to take some calls this morning which pushed dog training into the afternoon rains.  I wore the Berettas and they’re the real deal, pushed waist high heavy grass in the rain and my legs stayed bone dry.  My Outdoor Research light rain jacket lost the battle an hour in, so the Berettas performance is pretty impressive considering they had a much tougher job with all the wet grass. 

I will say again, not real happy with the fit, they’re cut like skinny jeans.  Plenty of room in the waist but they’re tight through the thighs and butt, going to be tough to lift my legs up and over slash in the woods.  My Orvis and Carharrtt brush pants fit better.  

That’s a bummer about the fit. Mine fit perfect. I’ve worn the jacket a few times as well and I couldn’t be happier.

28 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

That’s a bummer about the fit. Mine fit perfect. I’ve worn the jacket a few times as well and I couldn’t be happier.

I’ll keep them as staying dry is worth it, they definitely seem to be very well made

9 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

I’ll keep them as staying dry is worth it, they definitely seem to be very well made

So far everything hunting garment wise I’ve seen from them has been spectacular. A guy I used to hunt with had them. So it’s not just what I own, I’ve seen others. He loved the stuff also. 

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Erickson

Upgraded some pants this year as a perk of selling off some also-ran guns. I have been wearing LL Bean brush pants for the last several years, the dark green ones with the tick guards and they were like wearing chainmail armor. Tough as nails, but wearing me down with the weight and bulkiness.

I went with a pair of the Pyke Kiowas and Orvis Softshells pants. The Pyke Kiowas are feather light and I wore them a couple times in the warmer temps. Haven't worn them enough to form a full opinion, but so far so good, especially for early season work. Can see where these would be wonderful for September on the prairies and any warm weather hunting. Nice product!

It's been consistently in the 30's to low 40's around here and I've been giving the Orvis Softshells a good workout. They have been fabulous. Not as whisper light as the Kiowas, but much lighter than anything I've ever had, super comfortable, agile,  and plenty tough on some gnarly cover including blackberry cane. I can see I'm going to live in these on my upcoming South Dakota trip and the remainder of the bird season in our tristate area. I was worried that they might be too warm for me, but not at all in the weather we're having. 

On 10/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, Swampy 16 said:

So far everything hunting garment wise I’ve seen from them has been spectacular. A guy I used to hunt with had them. So it’s not just what I own, I’ve seen others. He loved the stuff also. 

Final report, wore them in a steady rain today, guiding for a group of friends at a preserve and pushed a ton of very heavy tall grass that was completely saturated,  and my legs stayed bone dry for four hours.  Purposely walked through some briar as well and they turned them well.  These Beretta pants are the real deal, plus they’re lightweight to boot. 

83A71666-B2EB-4FA2-A974-B26165F24535.jpeg

4 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Finally report, wore them in a steady rain today, guiding for a group of friends at a preserve and pushed a ton of very heavy tall grass that was completely saturated,  and my legs stayed bone dry in four hours.  Purposely walked through some briar as well and they turned them well.  These Beretta pants are the real deal, plus they’re lightweight to boot. 

83A71666-B2EB-4FA2-A974-B26165F24535.jpeg

It’s all I’m wearing now. Have two pairs.  They’re available on beretta again....tempted to stock pile another pair or two. 

If you can’t get them the Laksen pant that Orvis sells is supposed to be excellent. I’ve been tempted for a couple years now to try a pair. They’re pretty spendy though. I spoke with a woman at Orvis while ordering another item and she said her husband is a die-hard grouse hunter and he uses them. She said they’re amazingly tuff and waterproof. Just a thought if you want waterproof.https://m.orvis.com/category/hunting-pants/2ZPC/

• 3 weeks later...

I gifted myself a pair of First Lite Sawbuck pants after working all weekend delivery a project from hell, they should arrive Friday.  If they fit as planned I'll break them in on a woodcock hunt on Saturday, the hope is to have pants with some stretch that are still good at turning briars.  I like my Carhartt Rugged Flex as they're very comfortable, but the don't hold up to heavy briars.  

I ordered a pair of sawbuck pants last season. I wore them 5 times last season and they are already showing wear on the backside of the pants. I’m not happy with how they are holding up. I don’t sit down when I hunt. I emailed first lite and they said that normal wear and tear isn’t covered under warranty. I understand that, I just don’t believe that this is normal wear and and tear, I think it’s poor quality. 
It’s upsetting because they are a comfortable pant, nice and light weight for AZ. 
I’m going to order another pair to see if maybe I got a bad piece of the fabric. I have pictures of the wear if anyone wants to see. 

if you buy a pair of these order a size bigger on the waist than you normally wear. They run small. 

After reading all the good reviews about the Beretta pants i was convinced to at least have a look at their website and was disappointed to find out the smallest size they come in is Medium and according to their sizing chart that is equivalent to 34 1/2"-36" waist. WTF,  They don't accommodate trim, athletic, physically fit individuals that live a healthy life style and eat a healthy diet and exercise LOL. I'm no midget but at 160 lbs. with a 32" waist I guess I'm s1#t out of luck with Beretta.

1 minute ago, sidelock said:

After reading all the good reviews about the Beretta pants i was convinced to at least have a look at their website and was disappointed to find out the smallest size they come in is Medium and according to their sizing chart that is equivalent to 34 1/2"-36" waist. WTF,  They don't accommodate trim, athletic, physically fit individuals that live a healthy life style and eat a healthy diet and exercise LOL. 

I’d try a medium.  I wear a large and have a 34 waist and they’re not loose at all.  No way a medium would fit a 36” waist.