what's in a brush pant?

chilly460
4 hours ago, sidelock said:

After reading all the good reviews about the Beretta pants i was convinced to at least have a look at their website and was disappointed to find out the smallest size they come in is Medium and according to their sizing chart that is equivalent to 34 1/2"-36" waist. WTF,  They don't accommodate trim, athletic, physically fit individuals that live a healthy life style and eat a healthy diet and exercise LOL. I'm no midget but at 160 lbs. with a 32" waist I guess I'm s1#t out of luck with Beretta.

It’s well known, the sizes are completely wrong, I had to go up two sizes to fit in a pair....must be cut for skinny Europeans

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swampy 16

• chilly460

• ScenicRoute

• mccuha

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really like Dan upland bibs. They also make pants. the bibs are great for me as they can be worn alone over shorts when hot, or over jeans if its cold or really nasty briars. Also easy to take on an

I don't like heavy brush pants so I just wear regular pants and stop at a hospital for a blood transfusion on the way home each day.

I’m a bluejean and Filson chaps kind of guy.  But dans and mule brand make some tough chaps as well. The thing about chaps is you can wear about any kind of pants you like to wear under the chaps.  Wh

Posted Images

chilly460

The First Lite Sawbucks came in today, and seems my curiosity is now answered.  I was curious if any of these high $$ "super pants" can really be all things.  Can they be lightweight, breathable, and stretchy but still turn briars?  Now, maybe a bit unfair to judge before I wear them, but if these pants hold up to appalachian thorns I'll be very surprised.  They're more or less the same material as my Carhartt Rugged Flex, super comfortable but they're an elasticized, somewhat loose weave...can't see any way they'll hold up from getting snagged or pulling, unless they're a super tough material that can be loose woven but stand up to the thorns hooking the material without pulling.  We shall see, saw so many reviews that said they wore very well that I was wondering if they'd hit on some mix of tough facing.  I wouldn't take it as a negative review as I think our requirements or somewhat specialized, I imagine they'll work well for vast majority of upland situations.  

Swampy 16
7 hours ago, chilly460 said:

The First Lite Sawbucks came in today, and seems my curiosity is now answered.  I was curious if any of these high $$ "super pants" can really be all things.  Can they be lightweight, breathable, and stretchy but still turn briars?  Now, maybe a bit unfair to judge before I wear them, but if these pants hold up to appalachian thorns I'll be very surprised.  They're more or less the same material as my Carhartt Rugged Flex, super comfortable but they're an elasticized, somewhat loose weave...can't see any way they'll hold up from getting snagged or pulling, unless they're a super tough material that can be loose woven but stand up to the thorns hooking the material without pulling.  We shall see, saw so many reviews that said they wore very well that I was wondering if they'd hit on some mix of tough facing.  I wouldn't take it as a negative review as I think our requirements or somewhat specialized, I imagine they'll work well for vast majority of upland situations.  

Chilly, how are the Beretta’s so far?

Call me frugal but I want a pair of brush pants or chaps to last longer than a season. A lot of these super tech very pricy pants would not last me a season. My chaps I just replaced last season lasted about 10 years and my brush pants I wear a good bit is on like year 10-15. If I hunted more out west say Kansas, brush pants or chaps would last an extremely long time. They just don’t have brush say like briars that tend to shred everything.  Now out west like that. The new high tech pants would last a few years. 

Matter of fact after seeing the thread about gaiters,I may try them this year in my west hunts. 

chilly460
On 11/13/2020 at 10:27 PM, Swampy 16 said:

Chilly, how are the Beretta’s so far?

They're great, best I've tried so far.  Beyond the waterproof, and the abrasion reinforcements, they're extremely light and have nice belt loops, and turn briars easily which lets you slip through thickets without snagging.  Only issue, and it is fairly impactful, is that unless you have a frog ass they just fit wierd.  Not enough volume in the ass/upper legs, so it's a fight to get up over downed logs and general woods trash.  The waist is already borderline loose on mine so not sure if I want to go up a size, but I think I'm going to order a pair and see if that helps fit and I'll just commit to wearing them with suspenders (I generally do wear suspenders while hunting as it helps pull the pants up for log crossings).  The fit is not a big deal when walking fields where you don't have to lift legs up/over so many obstacles.   

I know it's not brush pants but I may have found a shirt that works well in very thick cover with briars.  Yesterday I decided to go after some WC gunless( season doesn't open until Dec. 18) and I had one of my welding shirts on.  Man I'm really impressed how well it shed the briars.  The shirt is a wrangler button up western style shirt.  It's pretty stiff from being starched to shed sparks and such. You can get them at tractor supply.  They're like $29.    Some of you might want to give them a try.  They may not be as stylish as the Orvis stuff but are tuff.

chilly460
47 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I know it's not brush pants but I may have found a shirt that works well in very thick cover with briars.  Yesterday I decided to go after some WC gunless( season doesn't open until Dec. 18) and I had one of my welding shirts on.  Man I'm really impressed how well it shed the briars.  The shirt is a wrangler button up western style shirt.  It's pretty stiff from being starched to shed sparks and such. You can get them at tractor supply.  They're like $29.    Some of you might want to give them a try.  They may not be as stylish as the Orvis stuff but are tuff.

Yep, I have one and thought of using it, only holdup is it's not orange and I wear a strap vest with not much orange so prefer to wear my solid orange shirt during gun season here.  

Tom Avent

Anyone have any experience with the Ball and Buck brush pants?

1 hour ago, chilly460 said:

Yep, I have one and thought of using it, only holdup is it's not orange and I wear a strap vest with not much orange so prefer to wear my solid orange shirt during gun season here.  

I agree with the orange stuff.  Here in SC all we have to have is an orange cap. I do wear a vest that's orange and of course the orange hat.  Some states would require a lot more orange and that could be a problem with this shirt.

so I'm only halfway through the season...but have worn the sawbucks for every hunt so far (10-15 hunts).  In PA/NJ we have a ton of brush and briars to deal with.  I've been really happily surprised how well these pants have held up.  I get nervous when thorns/briars prick against the softshell part and not the nylon protective area...but they still seem to do fine. 

Time will tell, but I'll definitely be buying another pair when they wear out.

The other pair I'll be buying asap is the Pyke Tongass pants.  Never too warm here where the Kiowa would be needed.  But I have the Tongass/Kiowa shirts, and they're the real deal.  From 30-60...all I need is a light/mid/heavy base layer and the kiowa under the tongass shirt and im all set.  Breathes great, lightweight, cut perfect, and seems super durable.  Some really mild pilling, but that's from softshell areas literally ripping against thick multifloral thorns.  Short of wearing a thick duck/waxedcotton/tin cloth clothing (which ill never make the mistake of doing again), you'll always get shredded by those thorns.  I simply steer clear of them, and enjoy much lighter more comfortable clothing..

So after reading alI the good reviews and opinions about the Beretta Thorn Resistant pants here, I pulled the trigger on a pair and just received them today but I'm on the fence whether I should keep them or return them. I have a pair of the Orvis ToughShell pants that I've been wearing since the begining of the season and I'll try to make an unbias compareson between the two. Although I have only wore the Beretta around the house and haven't tested them in the field.

The material on both pants feels durable although the Beretta pants are much noisier and sound like a plastic tarp blowing in the wind when you walk in them, the Beretta also feel stiffer. The fit around the waist and buttoks area on the Medium size is somewhat similar but the Orvis pants are cut a little more generous around the legs and the cuffs, providing better movement and flexibility. The Orvis pants also have a gusseted crotch where as the Baretta have a plain crotch. The Beretta have mesh lining throught the pants unlke the Orvis which are unlined. The Orvis pants have one water proof zipped back pocket located on the right side and the Beretta don't have any rear pockets. The Orvis pants also have waterproof zippers on the sides from the hip down to the thighs for ventilation as well as zippers in the cuffs to accomodate putting on  boots  without havig to take the pants off,  the Beretta don't. The Orvis also offer more freedom of movement over the Beretta and are much quieter. All in all they both seem to be good quality products as one would expect for their price range but in my humbler opinion the Berettas are somewhat lacking considering the price range. Why any manufacture would eliminate rear pockets completely is beyond me not to mention a gusseted crotch, on the contrary, manufactures should seriously consider additional cargo pockets especially knowing hunters are generally gearheads and carry different gadgets whether by necessity or by habit.

Yes the Berettas have no rear pocket but my impression otherwise was the exact opposite. I ordered a pair of the Orvis and they were terribly uncomfortable. The Berettas will quiet down once you break them in. If you feel like you don’t have enough movement maybe try a larger pair. Mine are as comfortable as a pair of well broken in bluejeans. But, if you don’t feel 100% happy with them and you like the Orvis that much then send them back. You certainly don’t wanna spend that much and not be happy.

1 hour ago, Swampy 16 said:

Yes the Berettas have no rear pocket but my impression otherwise was the exact opposite. I ordered a pair of the Orvis and they were terribly uncomfortable. The Berettas will quiet down once you break them in. If you feel like you don’t have enough movement maybe try a larger pair. Mine are as comfortable as a pair of well broken in bluejeans. But, if you don’t feel 100% happy with them and you like the Orvis that much then send them back. You certainly don’t wanna spend that much and not be happy.

The Medium is already a half US size larger around the waist than I normally wear so going one size larger for comfort is out of the question. I wore them both around the house and the yard for compareson, walked around, squatted, kneeled, sat down and climbed over the fence and I found the Beretta somewhat restricting compared to the Orvis. I also have the Orvis Toughshell chaps you didn't like and like Speaks, I have no issue with them whatsoever for the little time I wore them in the field. I guess apart from personal preference, physique can have a big influence. I'm 5'9" weigh 160 lbs and wear a size 32" waist and although I'm older, I'm athletic and in excellent physical shape. Also forgot to mention in my compareson the Beretta have very shallow pockets, the type that loose change falls out when you sit unless they are zipped up. Wearing gaitors over the orvis pants is virtually impossible due to the cuff being wider and the addition of a tab with snaps and the zipper however the Beretta's slimmer cuff accomodates gaitors without any issues. These are all just my personal observations that others may not otherwise pay any attention to or even notice !