Dog knee brace

Is this a total gimmick? I mean, I know its a gimmick but is a TOTAL gimmick? Anything scientific behind it at all that it may help prevent blown ccl’s?

Knee Brace

I don't know about this specific item, but 10 years ago when my then 7-year-old lab, Pete, blew out his ACL one of the treatment measures proposed was to do nothing but provide him with a brace.  As I remember the brace was a rigid device that prevented the joint from moving.

We opted for TPLO surgery instead and Pete hunted until he was 12 or 13.  Surgery then was $2k all in so it amounted to $300 per year of hunting.

Well worth it not to watch him hobble around for the final 8 years of his life.

If those braces actually help.........cheap insurance

Actually now that I read this closer it says not for knees. Its for ankles. Says it could help with acl or ccl. Is there a ccl in the ankle too? 

I’m skeptical. I wonder what the UJ vets have to say. Looks more like a Sleeve than a Brace. Doesn’t appear to be anything solid built into it. I’m a human and had knee surgery/scoping a little over a year ago and still slip on a knee sleeve if doing anything strenuous or walking a lot while hunting, climbing in and out of tree stands etc. etc. I’m convinced it’s more mental than actual physical support. It feels good and feels more secure to have that compression on the knee. I don’t know, this could be another gimmick the pet industry is using to separate us from our money. Or not.

It's difficult to stabilize the canine knee because of the shape and taper of the leg and the loss of muscle mass that happens post injury.

The Orthopets product seems the best design and execution of what's available. I don't have personal experience with them. They're not inexpensive and really only an option where surgery's not IMO.

That hock wrap wouldn't help with a knee injury.

https://orthopets.com/products/dog-knee-brace/