NoDak posting

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

meaning 1,5% posted or continued to allow access? By your closing comment I'm assuming (hoping) the former, but just checking...

One and half % signed up for the automatic posted data base. The majority remainder decided to stick with what they had previous years, open or physical signs.

Pheasant and deer hunting is a huge economic benefit to the state of North Dakota. Access to decent hunting land drives a lot of tourist hunting income in the state. However, abuse of the right of trespass does happen - I don't know any ranchers that don't have a horror story about slob hunters and their disrespect.

Montana has the best solution - Block Management Areas. The hunters get access, the land owner gets compensation and the knowledge of who is on their land and when, the state gets tourist dollars and data on game taken.  I think that this is a win-win for everyone EXCEPT for 'pay-to-play' hunting operations. Even on private. non-BMA land in Montana I can't recall any landowner refusing to allow me to hunt if I identify myself and ask politely.

mister grouse
6 hours ago, Chukarman said:

. Even on private non-BMA land in Montana I can't recall any landowner refusing to allow me to hunt if I identify myself and ask politely.

I have had the same experience about everywhere in the west.

Take your hat off, introduce yourself and chances are you  will be granted permission. Some folks do  "save the birds for family" etc, but most are very open and generous about letting BIRD hunters have access.  Big game is a completely different issue and access is difficult I understand.  

Dave in Maine

start sussing out the lease and guiding operations these people have and then publicize it.  Especially the prices.  Ditto the amounts of government subsidies they get - that should be public record.  Post copies of it on the community bulletin boards in the cafe`s where they eat breakfast or lunch.  (Make lots of copies b/c they'll be torn down.)

ARKBRDHUNTER

The internet is such a wonderful place. It allows people from afar to post their opinions on topics that many times do not impact them. I am not immune to doing this so not really casting stones since I am a quail hunter that follows a predominantly grouse and woodcock hunting site. 

On 9/27/2020 at 8:13 AM, Remo said:

Bingo. The push to change our ND trespass law is coming primarily from the pay to play operations in ND's pheasant country and the duck belt. Those commercial operations view open land as competition. The same farm group that shoved it through in Idaho a few years back wants to do it here. The ND Senate Bill 2315 was killed on the state House floor by 4 votes last time. They will bring it up again and sportsmen will have to kill it again. Just power politics. 

Agreed, and one thing that often isn't noted is the high percentage of farmland that exists in a  tangled web of ownership and rental agreements.  If a family farm is in a trust that includes six kids who have all moved away, and the land is rented by three different farmers, who actually has the right to grant permission to hunt the land?  Even if there's a legally correct answer to that question, the chances that someone in the web of control ends up getting all steamed over a group of hunters is pretty high.  

I've also seen situations where an absentee landowner from Chicago or Denver shows up to hunt his land, only to be accosted by a local group with permission from the leasee who have now decided it's their job to patrol "their" hunting spot.

Way better to either post it or not.  It heads off so much drama and heartburn.

I agree that the only people likely to benefit from making access scarce are guiding and leasing operations.