Passing on deer...

My Dad used to say, “Don’t pass on the first day what you would be happy to shoot on the last day.” He was talking about mostly being on a guided hunt out west or up north, but the idea stuck with me. I think every deer I put in the freezer is a trophy. I love to eat venison and don’t really like tag soup. I ate it last year when I couldn’t bow hunt due to shoulder surgery, and I never saw a legal buck during rifle season or muzzle loader season. I also bow hunted all of October this year and never got a shot at a buck. Saw lots of does, but they are not legal in the western UP. Thankfully my wife got a nice buck last year so we had a little meat to tide us over. Today my two year dry spell ended when this beauty of an 8 point walked in front of my stand. He was looking for does and gave me a walking 90 yard shot. By many people’s standards he is just a basket buck, but for me he is a great trophy and I couldn’t be happier. He tipped the scale at 212 pounds, so not exactly a yearling. 

95EA9F66-D175-4B72-9367-A2D5AA802B3A.jpeg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auto-5

• MAArcher

• Brad Eden

• Clueless1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am fortunate to live where there are big deer.  Not the Canadian monsters that we see huge body weights from but rather a "hybrid" mixture. Deer in Illinois were gone until the IL DNR reintroduced a

I was thinking about this thread tonight when my son and I were hunkered down in an old irrigation ditch in the woods and a small 4x4 whitetail walked 30 yards in front of us. When we first saw him I

My approach is like many here, and that's if you want meat, shoot a doe. I also think a doe is usually better to eat than an older buck. Whacking a good buck is always exciting, but I like to let them

Posted Images

Now that there’s a nice deer I don’t care who you are.  I’ve resolved  to be patient this year and have let 3 basket rack  bucks walk, a first for me but I’m hunting new property and the guy is into taking big bigger deer and he is wanting to cull some does. Of course all I’m seeing are these smaller bucks. If I see a deer that I think would  go 200 lbs I’m not sure I could let that much chili  walk away.  Good job

Yesterday I involuntarily passed on what would have been my second biggest buck.   I tried to "Thread the needle".  But a sapling about as thick as your thumb just jumped out of nowhere to sacrifice itself for the buck.   Kind of surprised that was enough to cause a miss, but that appears to be the case.   This is going to haunt me for a while.  He just materialized out of nowhere.  I looked up and he was standing there like Bambi's dad, The Great Prince of the Forest.  40 yards away and staring right at me.  I thought for sure I had a clear line to his vitals.    

So I'm not going to admit I missed.  I'm calling it an involuntary pass.   

This year was a bit different for me as my usual hunting buddy was out of commission. I did get to hunt another venue but it was a new farm and they mainly were trying to manage the doe population on their new place. As karma would have it I mostly saw bucks there.  Most were  basket racks but there was one decent 7 pt that I let walk. I collected a nice doe which will fill my chili requirements and I came away with a new outlook on passing on deer.

• 2 weeks later...

I had every intention on passing on small deer this past weekend; but it was my first time out with my new Ravin R10 crossbow and apparently I've lost all self control.  I had not sooner hauled the new xbow up to me in my climber when a little button buck walked up behind me.  I figured it was destiny and zapped him at 40 yards, right through the heart.   He probably only weighed 60 lbs, which would make him my smallest to date.   I think he qualifies me for the Spoon & Crockpot Club record books.  Killin' tomorrows trophies today.

Sometimes you just gotta try out a new toy so don’t be too hard on yourself😉.  Like I tell my younger buddy when he’s all up about trophy’s and how much did this one or that one score , or not getting any big ones  on his trail cams.  “They are just deer, don’t loose sight of enjoying the time in the woods and besides they pretty much all taste the same in the chili pot.“

I’ve shot a couple button bucks with compound bow at last light. Thought they were does. No regrets since they were likely the tastiest deer I ever killed.

16 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I’ve shot a couple button bucks with compound bow at last light. Thought they were does. No regrets since they were likely the tastiest deer I ever killed.

I shot a button a few years ago on a deer drive.  Bunch of deer came out and the lead doe was taking the entire bunch across a field thru pretty good brush.  I saw an opening and waited for her to pop out.  Saw a head and bang.  Button buck had decided to jump in front the doe and met the bullet head on as they say.  I grumbled and apologized to the owner (who was doing the deer drive) and he said don't worry about it.  It became the camp meat for the rest of the week.  Probably weighed 60 lbs and my goodness was it tasty.   Backstraps dusted and fried in butter melted in your mouth.  Nothing eats better then a 6 month old deer when you get right down to it. 

17 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

1 hour ago, tut said:

I shot a button a few years ago on a deer drive.  Bunch of deer came out and the lead doe was taking the entire bunch across a field thru pretty good brush.  I saw an opening and waited for her to pop out.  Saw a head and bang.  Button buck had decided to jump in front the doe and met the bullet head on as they say.  I grumbled and apologized to the owner (who was doing the deer drive) and he said don't worry about it.  It became the camp meat for the rest of the week.  Probably weighed 60 lbs and my goodness was it tasty.   Backstraps dusted and fried in butter melted in your mouth.  Nothing eats better then a 6 month old deer when you get right down to it. 

I just remembered. I put down a “road kill” deer last winter up the road. Pop behind the ear with my .25 semiauto pistol. Had permission from a warden I had called. It was a button buck. Warden came by the next day and tagged it and I processed it. Only lost one front quarter. We have one package of rear quarter steaks left. It was an outstanding tasting and tender road kill deer.

37 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I just remembered. I put down a “road kill” deer last winter up the road. Pop behind the ear with my .25 semiauto pistol. Had permission from a warden I had called. It was a button buck. Warden came by the next day and tagged it and I processed it. Only lost one front quarter. We have one package of rear quarter steaks left. It was an outstanding tasting and tender road kill deer.

Did you take the cannoli as well?