Do you use a tracking collar

6 hours ago, ScottGrush said:

Yes. 

Astro 430 and T5 mini collars in conjunction with a Garmin instinct watch....a MUST have. 

The watch is the game changer, it makes the whole package so much more less intrusive into the hunt. 

This. Although I have an older Fenix before the Instinct came out. Basically the same thing and agree, it is really is a game changer.

24802477597_528cfa56a2_b.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max2

• Mike da Carpenter

• mccuha

• Cold Iron

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG yes, once you've experience the sick feeling of a missing "family member" its an easy decision.

Yes.  Astro 430 and T5 mini collars in conjunction with a Garmin instinct watch....a MUST have.  The watch is the game changer, it makes the whole package so much more less intrusive into th

yep , I ordered a 550 pro plus from front range gun dog supply. Got it Friday had it on the dogs Saturday morning I can't see ever going back

Yes, alpha and viveoactive watch, always run a bell as well. A dog can disappear out of bell range real fast in a thick aspen cut. Last time I had a collar issue I didnt run the dog, no way am I going home without my setter, didnt even want to risk it. 

Always when the dog is out in the woods I never leave home without it Griffs blend into the woods really well with their Grey and Brown coats

Astro 430 2 Collars

Dogtra 2002 T&B

Instinct watch

I once lost a young big running setter on the N Dakota grasslands. I was mounted on a good horse and still could not keep up. He was gone several days. Lost another setter on the breaks of the Grande Ronde River in SE Washington - gone for 3-1/2 days. 

So, yeah, I run my dogs with a tracking collar.

Mike Connally

I lost a 6 month old pup in a Michigan swamp for 19 hours. Thank goodness the beeper lasted that long. 
I’ve run an Astro/DC30 ever since. 

Cooter Brown

I have ever since I lost a dog in the Georgia mountains.  It was only for a (long) day but it was enough to convince me to get an Astro.

An interesting poll would be "How many have used a GPS collar to recover a dog which they probably would have lost without it?"

I would answer a definite "Yes" to that question.

Ky setter man

Yes, Astro 30s. Had a very good friend put me on these several years ago . He sold me his older one so he could upgrade. Benefited him and me. Kept me from blowing whistle for him and now I knew where my dogs were for me. Also rarely have to use e collar now. Just when close to roadways. Great systems. 

The new Alpha shows the dog and the truck on the watch screen. I hope they can update that thru software on the older units, it would save me some risk in having to pull my astro out and look at the map screen when I need to find the truck. 

5 hours ago, ScottGrush said:

The new Alpha shows the dog and the truck on the watch screen. I hope they can update that thru software on the older units, it would save me some risk in having to pull my astro out and look at the map screen when I need to find the truck. 

New alpha?