Jump to content

Something New To Me From The Local Vet Clinics


Recommended Posts

My new relocation to Orofino, Idaho has brought me in contact with some very nice and welcoming people..Except for the local vet clinics. I was shocked upon moving here that neither of the two vet. clinics are accepting new clients. In fact one office acted with a bit of a smart *** attitude when I expressed my frustration. Several vet clinics in Lewiston, Idaho have adopted a similar policy in accepting new clients from Orofino. A local woman told a sad story of her family dog's death because neither Orofino vet.'s office would provide care.

I've lived in four other states in my lifetime and this kind of attitude/policy from a vet. clinic is a first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really uncommon around here. Just like doctors offices, vets get filled to their patient capacity and don't accept new patients for a time period. Hope you find a vet though, it's frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every vet clinic I have used is BUSY. I had not considered that they might turn new customers away,,but I could see that they might need to. After all, they deserve a life away from the office.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious if anyone has tried the vet clinics they have on weekends at Tractor Supply?   The one in Winchester has one just about every Sunday as does the one in Leesburg Va.  Also its damn cheap compared to a vet at a brick and mortar location. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tut said:

Curious if anyone has tried the vet clinics they have on weekends at Tractor Supply?   The one in Winchester has one just about every Sunday as does the one in Leesburg Va.  Also its damn cheap compared to a vet at a brick and mortar location. 

 

I have taken my dogs to one of those for rabies shots, which I cannot legally administer myself.  In, out, bing bang boom.   I don't need to go to a vet for much unless the dog is sick or injured.  

 

Just saw that one of our local Walmarts has a vet facility  now.    

 

Hope you find what you need.  I'd check a couple of large animal vets to see if they can accomodate your needs.   They actually make house calls.  

 

RayG 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do all of my shots that I can legally do now. I purchase and administer the 7-way booster, rattlesnake and bordetella. I purchase my heartworm prevention liquid from a cheaper, non- vet source and my flea and tic meds com from Walmart. I use rabies clinics which only charge cost of shot every 3 years. I ONLY use vets for emergencies my wife and I cannot handle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, congratulations on finding a reason to live in/near Orofino. It is practically paradise for somebody who both hunts and fishes.

 

Second, there are places in the state where vet clinics are full and don't accept new patients. There are a couple where I live southern idaho. Honestly, your best bet is to find a way to become friendly with the vet outside of his or her practice. Orofino isn't that big.

 

As a last ditch effort you might try Grangeville, there is more ag related business down there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up some meds from my vet for Cash’ sore paw a week ago. They still aren’t letting anyone in the clinic but are meeting people and pets outside etc., I find that strange at this point but it is what it is. I was able to speak with the vet, outside...and she was beat, looked like hell, had lost weight and expressed that things were nuts. The months of only taking on emergency cases created a huge backlog of regular visit animal patients. The vibe was stressed out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scrappy said:

First off, congratulations on finding a reason to live in/near Orofino. It is practically paradise for somebody who both hunts and fishes.

 

Second, there are places in the state where vet clinics are full and don't accept new patients. There are a couple where I live southern idaho. Honestly, your best bet is to find a way to become friendly with the vet outside of his or her practice. Orofino isn't that big.

 

As a last ditch effort you might try Grangeville, there is more ag related business down there. 

Yes, like Ferdinand ID which has an outstanding vet named Kim,and is just up the grade for Orofino..

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mister grouse said:

Yes, like Ferdinand ID which has an outstanding vet named Kim,and is just up the grade for Orofino..

 

Thank you; I'll check her out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 12:59 PM, bmeador said:

I do all of my shots that I can legally do now. I purchase and administer the 7-way booster, rattlesnake and bordetella. I purchase my heartworm prevention liquid from a cheaper, non- vet source and my flea and tic meds com from Walmart. I use rabies clinics which only charge cost of shot every 3 years. I ONLY use vets for emergencies my wife and I cannot handle.

Are you getting the rattlesnake shots from your vet or another source. Can't seem to find it on line anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our vet retired. Cant find a vet. None are accepting new patients. Only have the emergency vet. $120 office call.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...