Montana 2020 Elk Season

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

This is my typical turkey hunting stance...

If that's what elk hunting looks like, I'm in good shape for next month!

That's what it looks like around mid-day on nice warm afternoons.

I've got photos of him looking that way in the spring too. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hobbes

• Big Al

• Lurch

• idcut

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got this guy Thursday afternoon.  150 yards.  He was with ten cows, calves and a smaller bull.  5 x 7, the right side is defective.  I had to watch them come towards me for about 15 minutes before I g

I've been on a few bulls but they've beaten me thoroughly thus far.  I have three excuses, with the last being the most relevant:        My vacation week was hot, dry, and smokey.     

Opening weekend with my son.

Posted Images

I'll add to this thread as season progresses into the rifle season.  I'm probably about done bowhunting this year due to other commitments.

I'll also do a combo phez/antelope hunt and a phez/deer hunt.  I think my wife and possibly one of my boys will join me on those hunts.

You sir, are a lucky man.  Beautiful views there.  Good luck the rest of the way.  I'll be following along.

3 generations out there is just awesome! Congrats

If it were easy everyone would be doing it! Good luck the rest of the way

3 hours ago, mister grouse said:

looking at that terrain Id be hunting some blue grouse .....

I see a few blues, but mostly spruce.  There is one area not too far from here that I've seen a few more blues.  I wacked a couple there with a judo point a few years ago while elk hunting.

17 minutes ago, hobbes said:

I see a few blues, but mostly spruce.  There is one area not too far from here that I've seen a few more blues.  I wacked a couple there with a judo point a few years ago while elk hunting.

Randy Newberg would be proud!

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

Randy Newberg would be proud!

Yeah, he really likes the grouse.  My oldest son and I have shot a number of them through the years.  The spruce seem to be the dumbest of the mountain grouse, but we'll get a ruffed or blue occasionally.  I saw a lot of blues when I lived in Colorado.

I've quit carrying a judo so I don't have to deal with the grouse after I've killed it.

Not a peep this morning.  Elk had been there recently, but not today.  I found a set of boot tracks, so maybe they blew them out.

That will probably just about do it for archery.  It's in for a couple more weeks, but I've got projects to finish up this weekend before cold weather shows and will be hunting phez and antelope next weekend.  I'll look for them some with a rifle when it starts on the 24th.

IMG_20201002_084004593.jpg

IMG_20201002_090139413_HDR.jpg

Very nice photos and narrative!

One of my buddies here in ID was bow hunting hard for elk, as he usually does and complained about the same  issues....too much smoke and too hot. He bugled in a few bulls with the best opportunity at 21 yds, he said, but at a steep forward quartering shot, he didn't take it, which I don't blame him and it evidently smelled him in the squirrely wind and took off. The bow season closed on Wednesday and rifle opens the 10th.

On another note, the photo of the moose reminded me of the cow and calf I saw last week. On the drive home from my mom's house and just before entering the city limits of Coeur d'Alene, I looked at a house just off the hwy and spotted a cow and calf....now I drive that hwy quite often and didn't remember ever seeing a cow and calf yard art in the lawn. I did a double take and saw drool hanging from the cow's mouth and then realized it was a live cow with a calf. Always cool to see a cow and calf!