Sign in to follow this  
watermen

Chinkapin

SelbyLowndes

Those acorns in the OP look like live oak to me...SelbyLowndes

Huntschool
2 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Those acorns in the OP look like live oak to me...SelbyLowndes

Selby: Yea they are small like live oaks and quail love em.....

4setters

In the Missouri and Arkansas areas there are two potential native tree species that can have the name chinquapin associated with it.  They are the Ozark Chinquapin (Castanea ozarkensis) and the Chinkapin Oak (Quercus meihlenbergii).  The first was reduced to disease infested root sprouts for most of the last 50-60 years, but the oak species is common today.  The "OC Look Alikes" selection at the bottom of the Ozark chinquapin home page goes right to the oak species (https://ozarkchinquapinmembership.org/look-alikes/) so a ready comparison can be made.  The leaves are shaped similarly.  Chinquapin nutlets look very much like acorns, with minor differences.  I remember kids bring chinquapins to grade school in north Arkansas in the 60s to eat, but that pretty much ended by the 70s.  In the mid 80s I found a few trees, that even though affected by blight, produced a few nuts.  Haven't seen any in many years that do that, and most of the old "skeltons" of dead trees that were commonly seen in the woods years ago are mostly gone now.

vabirddog

Chinquapins are woody shrubs. They used to be quite plentiful. The nuts form in a small burrs just like chestnuts. I know where 1 bush is right now but it has only produced 1 or 2 burrs in the last couple years. Sure hope it lasts, and fruits again soon so I can start some.