PA GROUSE AND WOODCOCK OPENS 10/17/2020...........

Upland_Hunter

The Pennsylvania ruffed grouse and woodcock season starts in two weeks on Saturday, 10/18/2020. i cannot wait to get out and will be organizing all of my hunting stuff this weekend for the upcoming season. Pheasant comes in the following Saturday, 10/24/202, and i am looking forward to hunting with a couple of people that i know with their German shorthair pointers.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boon hogganbeck

• Upland_Hunter

• Swampy 16

• ryanr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally knocked one down over my pup!  He made a nice track & retrieve.  These PA birds are a challenge...  Missed another bird on a wild flush.  Hot dry woods made for tough conditions but I'm gl

Starting to find some woodcock. Fortunately, some held tight!

Last year In the one state game land where I do most of my grouse hunting I did not have my first flush until the third week of the season. It was on an old over grown access road in a former strip mi

Posted Images

Getting stuff ready is a fun endeavor in and of itself! Take the time to enjoy it! Part of me misses Autumn in Pennsylvania.

Upland_Hunter
37 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Getting stuff ready is a fun endeavor in and of itself! Take the time to enjoy it! Part of me misses Autumn in Pennsylvania.

I know getting things ready gives a lot of excitement and anticipation before the opening day of the season. Almost like the last 5 days before Christmas!! 

In PA, the getting ready part is ALL the fun of the hunt for grouse.

Bird numbers in my covers have dropped below huntable numbers or at least my comfort level for taking a bird.

Good luck, wish you well.

Upland_Hunter
1 hour ago, grouse28 said:

Bird numbers in my covers have dropped below huntable numbers or at least my comfort level for taking a bird.

Last year In the one state game land where I do most of my grouse hunting I did not have my first flush until the third week of the season. It was on an old over grown access road in a former strip mine area and a clear open shot and I let the bird go. It was just nice to see that there was a grouse in the area. The following week I went back to the same place and ended up flushing four grouse of which i just saw one of them  and just heard the other three.  This was a thrill and made me feel good that there were more grouse in the area. The next week in another area of the game land I flushed three grouse and this time just heard them flush far out in front of me with never getting a glimpse of them. So, hopefully the population has risen a little bit this year.

Upland_Hunter
47 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Hopefully there will be a nice flight of woodcock!

Yes - - - I am hoping to catch them on the migration and maybe have some shooting. There is no issue with hunting the woodcock in the areas that i hunt.

Last year was my highest flushes per hour, granted this is my 6th year hunting, I think.  Quite a few days with 10 plus grouse flushes and I am expecting more of the same this year.  Hitting Michigan next Saturday to Friday then home for opening day.  Can't wait!!

5 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Just search new areas. There’s a few around. I had bad year in PA last year but the year before was spectacular. We had our highest flush day ever in PA on opening day.

Upland_Hunter
Just now, Swampy 16 said:

Just search new areas. There’s a few around. I had bad year in PA last year but the year before was spectacular. We had our highest flush day ever in PA on opening day.

Yes - - I have some new areas in mind and getting excited about exploring them.

Normally with PA I’ll only hunt an area once a year. There are a handful of spots that guys hit several times a week. A local told me about him. He drives a Jeep Wrangler. Empty shell casings all over the place. I haven’t gone back since. The birds became so spooky you couldn’t get near them. Hunting new areas is half the fun.

Upland_Hunter

Has anyone hard any reports on the status of the ruffed grouse population in the state of Pennsylvania for this year?

They migrated with the woodcock last time through. They say they’re all in Kentucky right now. Little bastards fly at night. 

boon hogganbeck

I’ll be out & about. Couldn’t scout this month like I wanted to for various reasons, so I’ll just throw darts at timber cuts & go. 

boon hogganbeck

Finally got out today (I was stuck inside for days in quarantine waiting for a Covid test to come back, negative, thankfully, though I had reason to worry), found a really nice higher-altitude cover, acres of nasty stuff. Not in the best PA grouse territory but on the cusp of it.  Didn't find birds but we didn't have time to be thorough about it and had to break off as the temps rose.  Will take the dog back when the leaves are down. I think we'll find something there.