PA GROUSE AND WOODCOCK OPENS 10/17/2020...........

Upland_Hunter

Heading back to the state game land tomorrow and hoping to flush some woodcock. From what I am reading it looks like they are on their migration. Tomorrow is also the opening day of pheasant here in PA and I am hoping to hook up with a couple of gentleman that I usually hunt with and their German shorthairs. If they do not plan to go tomorrow then I am going to hit the pheasant fields without a dog and hit the side brush areas where the birds usually run to after the other hunters move through with their dogs and push the birds into the heave cover. Will be going back to the old over grown access roads in the pine trees, where i put the bird up last Saturday, to see if  there are anymore in the area. Also, going to tray a couple of areas for grouse that I have not hunted in a couple of years.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boon hogganbeck

• Upland_Hunter

• Swampy 16

• ryanr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally knocked one down over my pup!  He made a nice track & retrieve.  These PA birds are a challenge...  Missed another bird on a wild flush.  Hot dry woods made for tough conditions but I'm gl

Starting to find some woodcock. Fortunately, some held tight!

Last year In the one state game land where I do most of my grouse hunting I did not have my first flush until the third week of the season. It was on an old over grown access road in a former strip mi

Posted Images

Was out for the Pheasant Opener today and got my limit early so turned my efforts on grouse ! We flushed two after about three hours but we all agreed not to take any in this area, but was great to see em!

boon hogganbeck

Think I’m gonna check out a local woodcock spot tomorrow AM & see if anything’s trickling through...

Upland_Hunter

Was out this past Saturday and saw no woodcock but did have three flushes on grouse and it nice to see that they are there. I was on an old over grown access roads in some pine trees that led into a hollow and one grouse flushed behind me and I did not see it and the second bird flushed about 30 yards in front of me and I got a brief glimpse of it. As I made my way up the hollow I heard the second bird flush again and did not see it. I went to another part of the game land and had my third flush of the day and ended getting two shots off and thought that I might have got it. I searched the entire radius from where I fired from for about an hour and could not find it so I will assume that it got away. It was around 4:30PM and I went into the pheasant fields and walked and stopped on the edge cover of the fields and had no flushes. Overall not a bad day!! Looking forward to making it out this weekend.

boon hogganbeck

Went to a rumored woodcock spot this a.m. but no dice. Slipped out through the pheasant area—my young dog bumped 1 rooster but I couldn’t get a shot & couldn’t relocate the bird.  Stopped at a grouse spot on the way home, hunted an hour and change, no flushes. (Blanked on three species—would you call this a reverse trifecta?) Will go north on Saturday I reckon. 

Upland_Hunter

Heading back to the state game land tomorrow and hoping to flush some woodcock this time around and will be hitting the usual places along the creek bottom. Going  back to the old over grown access roads in the pine trees, where I put the two grouse bird last Saturday, and hope to maybe find more  Going to head to another part of the game land that I have not hunted in over almost two years and see if there are any grouse there this year. Will also be going to the pheasant fields and will walk and stopped on the edge cover to see if I can get any flushes on pheasants.

I usually hunt with a friend of mine and his German shorthair during the PA pheasant season. I found out last week that my friend injured his knee and must have surgery next week and will be missing this year’s hunting season. So, since I do not have a bird dog of my own this leaves me without an opportunity to hunt with someone with a dog. Is there anyone on here from Western Pennsylvania with a bird dog that would be willing to let me hunt with them in the coming Saturdays? Please send a PM if anyone is interested.

boon hogganbeck

Tried targeting a different sort of cover & it payed off today. Went to a county in the grouse zone & hit three new covers with my 9-month-old setter.   No hero shots as I went 0 for 3 on shooting.

Had 6 flushes on grouse today. 5 were wild, but my young dog did get a solid point on one of them, his first point on a wild bird. I actually didn't see the point, but as he was circling back to me through a good spot (couple pines surrounded by dense young birch forest), his bell stopped. I thought, "He's on point." A few seconds later the bird got up.  I missed the shot (to my surprise, it flew right at me at a weird angle) but I probably should have gotten it.

I missed a couple other birds but they were hail mary shots to the treetops so I wasn't surprised to miss them. 

Felt good to take some shots for the 1st time on wild bird & get the dog jazzed up. I was pleased with how my 9-month-old dog did... He runs pretty rough-shod through the cover, but I'll keep exposing him & hope he figures out to be a bit sneakier in the grouse woods. 

1 hour ago, boon hogganbeck said:

I probably should have gotten it.

I say that very thing about fifty times a season!!

You dog sounds like he's doing just fine!

Upland_Hunter

I usually hunt with a friend of mine and his German shorthair during the PA pheasant season. I found out last week that my friend injured his knee and must have surgery next week and will be missing this year’s hunting season. So, since I do not have the opportunity this year to hunt with someone with a dog. Is there anyone on here from Western Pennsylvania with a bird dog that would be willing to let me hunt with them in the coming Saturdays? Please send a PM if anyone is interested.

boon hogganbeck
1 hour ago, ryanr said:

Boon, that's great. Good luck with your pup.

Thanks. I hope I can knock something down for him this year, just to fire him up. I do okay on clays but I tend to miss birds... I just kinda point & shoot (I’m not shy about giving them both barrels), but maybe I’m not following through enough with my swing. Gun is choked IC/Mod but I might have the Mod opened up to Skeet in the off season. 

5 hours ago, boon hogganbeck said:

Thanks. I hope I can knock something down for him this year, just to fire him up. I do okay on clays but I tend to miss birds... I just kinda point & shoot (I’m not shy about giving them both barrels), but maybe I’m not following through enough with my swing. Gun is choked IC/Mod but I might have the Mod opened up to Skeet in the off season. 

Swing past your shot and most importantly, slow down. They’re fast but remember, your shot charge is going 1200 FPS or so, and they’re not that fast. It’s very very hard to remember that on the flush but you will kill more birds. Thai is coming from someone who misses a lot of birds so take it with a grain of salt. The ones I do kill however I notice are shots I swung on. Poke shots are usually misses. 

6 hours ago, Upland_Hunter said:

I usually hunt with a friend of mine and his German shorthair during the PA pheasant season. I found out last week that my friend injured his knee and must have surgery next week and will be missing this year’s hunting season. So, since I do not have the opportunity this year to hunt with someone with a dog. Is there anyone on here from Western Pennsylvania with a bird dog that would be willing to let me hunt with them in the coming Saturdays? Please send a PM if anyone is interested.

It’s hard when you get used to hunting with a dog. I was feeling that way today out there alone but moved 7 birds after wanting to give up after the first hour. I’ve been hunting with a friend with two brits and I can’t let it keep me out of the woods if he’s not available. I can always meet you some where in the middle of the state and we can bust brush dogless if you want.