GPS and a dog with Dementia

WI Outdoor Nut
5 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

I agree that's there's a good chance the deafness is the main cause.  I had an old dog exhibit very similar behavior--almost identical, really--and he was deaf as a post.  I didn't observe what I would call signs of dementia in his off-hunting behavior.  The GPS collar bought another season with a great old dog who was still putting birds in the bag.  I would never have hunted him without it.

Regardless of the true cause, I think you're handling it as well as you can.

Thanks Cooter - I would tend to agree with you, but when he saw me about 100 yards away, and then went directly away from me, which appeared to be a frantic search for me, I thought maybe something more.  I will keep your thoughts on my next hunts to see his responses. 

4 hours ago, bill said:

Hate that reference your dog,  I have 3 setters 10 yrs old  litter mates started them on eye drops supposed help with controlling cataracts. I had ole setter the granddaddy of other 3 lost him one time this was before tracking collars he had went deaf he was 13 lost him one evening lucky went about 5 miles and folks called me lucky loves didin,t get him. Thats when realized  dog went deaf. Yes we all get old if we survive. Gun dogs that that have been shot over a lot seem go deaf sooner than hounds and house dogs,

Let an easy going away shot go last week at a gray phase grouse because it was a low bird, and was right over my 5 yo vizsla who was pointing it because I was worried about blasting her ears.  I know in my younger years, I would have shot.  Even now, when hunting with others, I aske they approached the dog from the side, one, so the dog sees you, and 2, don't blast the dogs ears. 

6 hours ago, Scott Who said:

Just a thought wear a bell on you he would learn the that the sound is where you are (I'm thinking that would be easier than wearing the tracking collar and giving the dog the controller) ? If he cannot hear the bell wear something with your scent on it or Old Spice after shave pour some on a sponge wear on your hat? Your true buddies will not make fun of you I'm sure. Might be worth a shot for a few more hunts.

Good luck!

Gosh - I hate bells to start with.  Can't imagine having one on me.  I like the idea, just not one I can use.  And I think he is too deaf to hear it.  Like mentioned before, I believe he goes more off of my scent than anything else. 

20 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Everything I saw was for humans.  Did you use this on a dog in the past?

Just started  small dosage, I also use meloxcam in small dosages when  dog gets stiff limped up from hard day of hunting,it helps. I keep my dogs in good shape during off season exercise them 3  or four times a week. Not much u can do for deafness far as bells I only use a small bell use run beepers went away from them Using GSP collar  Garmin pro and some places just the GPS collar. Plus they sleep in house at night not out in kennel during cold or wet weather they last longer like that get couple more yrs out of them just my opinion .  Meloxcam is for humans aches& pains ref injuries need script for it which i have it helps them . Prevagen I hope it helps my dogs last a little longer in field.

This all sounds so familiar.  Willow, our last remaining Britt. is 11 1/2.  She has some hearing loss, but more alarming is her mental confusion and tendency to wander.  Three times this past summer she has just wandered away from our isolated rural yard and then the search is on to find her.  She is never outside unsupervised, but it is remarkable how quickly that little dog can just creep away into the slough or adjacent crops.  The last time she did this it was hot and muggy with very little wind, and it took us an hour to locate her.   She was overheated, confused and looking a little shaky.  She could hear me, but couldn't tell the direction of the sound.  I found her looking around to try to locate where I was.  After that day, she wore the Astro a lot more even around the yard.                                                                                                                                                                                        She is ok hunting between two gunners, and we only run her in cover where she will be visible.  Last weekend, we had four guns up and she spread her search to work it perfectly.  It's so hard to see her expertise bloom and her body and mind fail, but we will take joy in every day and treasure her successes.  We give her meloxicam for pain if she needs it, but I never have thought of meds for improving her congnitive abilities.  Time to have a chat with the vet.  Thanks for this discussion.

Our Brit Shelby had dementia later in her life...was pretty obvious around the house...indiscriminate urination as noted...if she somehow found herself facing an interior corner in the house she would bark until rescued as she couldn't figure out how to back out or turnaround...found her in the bathtub more than once barking and not sure how/why she would get in there in the first place as she was weak by then and not a big fan of baths her whole life though she loved to swim in the lake all day long.

As for deafness...our last setter Java had an inner ear tumor that caused her to go deaf in that ear and eventually worsened...had to retire her from hunting as she couldn't locate me to check back in and a few times got so confused by wind and direction of my whistle that she just kept running away or in larger circles...fortunately the Astro helped in locating her but it was stressful given we were in the big woods of Northern NH...worse at home if she ran off given local traffic nearby.

Good luck...sounds more like deafness to me based on my own limited experiences.

J4B 

WI Outdoor Nut

Could be deafness - that is certainly an issue.  Just got off of a 4 day hunt with him, and not 1 time did he lose us.  I watched him like a hawk, both in person and the astro.  But I think the biggest difference, I ran him alone which appeared  to help him keep track of me.  He is 12, and if there is anyway I can help get a season or two out of him yet, that is just a bonus.