REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Setter58

What do you carry for getting "unstuck"?

Setter58

Looking for a hi-lift jack or "come along" to carry in the truck and help me get unstuck if ever needed.  If I am reading right, I need GWVR x 1.5 for safe working load.  If this is correct then I am having trouble find a hi-lift jack or come long that would fit the bill for my f150 which i think is 7400 gvwr.  

What do you guys carry in the truck for when you get stuck?  Thanks

SEPAlander

Alone or with another car? Kinetic ropes have gotten more than 1 thing unstuck on my dad’s farm, but you need another vehicle to attach to, then run out and build up energy in the line.

WPG Gizmo

12K Smittybilt 

Windrider

8k warn winch + PullPal or 8’ length of chain with 5 pieces or rebar driven through it.

Out...I gets it.

bigjohnsd

Cell Phone/Credit Card/Tow Strap

Ruger1

I carry a tow strap, a small folding shovel and a 12"x 12" piece of steel plate to put under the jack to keep the jack from sinking in sand, mud etc. Having said that I haven't been stuck for going onto 15 years or so. I learned the hard way - even with 4-wheel drive  - that it's better to spend an extra 20 minutes or so walking than three hours digging out.

Ruger 1

Natty Bumpo

The way I heard it was "Use 2 WD to go in, and then 4WD to get you out" ............

MAArcher

What kind of stuck?  Stuck in mud? Or stuck in a ditch?  Slid off a soft shoulder and wedged between trees?  Dead end two track that's too far to go back and reverse but no place to turn around?  Stuck in a snow drift?

I've gotten the 4 wheeler stuck a bit fooling around but I haven't got the Excursion stuck much since I error on the side of caution as to where I drive when far from civilization.  But if I was going to try and be a little better prepared and had some spare cash, I'd have a front receiver hitch put on and then have a relatively inexpensive 12k lb Harbor Freight electric winch with synthetic line on a receiver mount so I could move it front to back.  Cable scares me.  Synthetic is safer than chain or cable and a lot lighter and easier to work with.  Probably a $1k set up.    A recovery kit with some snatch blocks and extra line would make it even more versatile and probably get me unstuck 99% of the time.  Other helpful items most already have would be a come along, shovel and chainsaw.   Good tires go along way toward avoiding getting stuck in the first place.  Knowledge is helpful.  Like if there's no trees where you need one to hook up too, you can dig a hole, hook up to a piece of log or rock and bury it to make a sort of earth anchor.   Lots of youtube videos on winching and recovery techniques.   

MAArcher
6 minutes ago, Natty Bumpo said:

The way I heard it was "Use 2 WD to go in, and then 4WD to get you out" ............

I have a friend who will never put his ATV into 4wd until he's stuck.  Drives me crazy.  I prefer not getting stuck in the first place.  We spend some time getting him unstuck because he dug himself in with 2wd and switching to 4wd doesn't always get him out; but if he had been in 4wd pre-emptively, he wouldn't have been stuck in the first place.   I think he just likes the attention. 

Setter58
2 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

What kind of stuck?  Stuck in mud? Or stuck in a ditch?  Slid off a soft shoulder and wedged between trees?  Dead end two track that's too far to go back and reverse but no place to turn around?  Stuck in a snow drift?

I've gotten the 4 wheeler stuck a bit fooling around but I haven't got the Excursion stuck much since I error on the side of caution as to where I drive when far from civilization.  But if I was going to try and be a little better prepared and had some spare cash, I'd have a front receiver hitch put on and then have a relatively inexpensive 12k lb Harbor Freight electric winch with synthetic line on a receiver mount so I could move it front to back.  Cable scares me.  Synthetic is safer than chain or cable and a lot lighter and easier to work with.  Probably a $1k set up.    A recovery kit with some snatch blocks and extra line would make it even more versatile and probably get me unstuck 99% of the time.  Other helpful items most already have would be a come along, shovel and chainsaw.   Good tires go along way toward avoiding getting stuck in the first place.  Knowledge is helpful.  Like if there's no trees where you need one to hook up too, you can dig a hole, hook up to a piece of log or rock and bury it to make a sort of earth anchor.   Lots of youtube videos on winching and recovery techniques.   

Thanks, realize its a general question.  I do not have a set scenario like "snow, mud etc".. Was hoping to buy a few things to keep in my current truck, and future trucks to help me get out of a bind if ever in one.

Does anyone know if I what I read is right?  Your winch needs to have working load of 1.5x the GVWR of your truck to be safe?

I was thinking a hi lift jack and some strong recovery straps could be a good thing to always have in the bed.  There are youtube videos of people using it as a winch in a pinch to get offroad jeeps unstuck etc and could help you get stuff under a tire if you stuck in mud and can help drive out.  Unfortunately the working load of the jack i saw on amazon for 90 bucks was 5000 lbs which if following the rule above would not be enough for my truck.

Just trying to think outloud for things that could help without going the route of a 1k winch setup

browndrake

I carry large tow strap and shackles, large chain, jacks, shovel and come a long.  However,I have found that what works best are the many years of experience I have getting stuck.. They help me bnoy get stuck as much now and find the best way out when I do get stuck

Setter58
45 minutes ago, browndrake said:

I carry large tow strap and shackles, large chain, jacks, shovel and come a long.  However,I have found that what works best are the many years of experience I have getting stuck.. They help me but get stuck as much now and snubs the best way out when I do get stuck

do you know what brand/model come along?

Chukarman

My  F350 has a Warn 15K winch, strap, and tire chains. Landcruiser has a Warn 8K winch, strap, etc.

MAArcher
1 minute ago, Setter58 said:

Does anyone know if I what I read is right?  Your winch needs to have working load of 1.5x the GVWR of your truck to be safe?

Where'd you read that?   It doesn't sound practical. 

Swampy 16

A Jeep ! In all seriousness there are these blocks that strap to your tire through the rim that look like they work real well. I’m gonna order a pair soon. I didn’t read any replies so someone may have mentioned them.