Prescribed Burns and Appalachian Grouse

In many of the areas I hunt the feral/wild pig population is out of hand.  My gut tells me that there are very few things a pig would rather snack on than a nest full of eggs, and pigs certainly have nose and the smarts to find them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceinVA

• vabirddog

• Cooter Brown

• mister grouse

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the predator non believers:   Let me review quickly what I believe  is the history of ruffed grouse in southern app for last 150 years .  Grouse were NOT plentiful way back there in virgin fo

I have been patient for now the better part of a lifetime. Fire wont cut it in the east.  Never has. Reality is the mountains were homes , farms, timberlands before the forests were created. The edge

9000+ acre fire in my area ive seen 0 benefit after 3-4 years. Clear/ regeneration cutting is the only method I have seen any real change from. It must start there. 

Posted Images

On 10/12/2020 at 11:38 AM, UplandVirginia said:

Thanks for the information, everyone. Let’s see if I can put it to good use this weekend for the WV opener!

How did it go?

Allen McCallie

I camped out this past weekend in the NC mountains and hunted for about three hours in one of my favorite haunts, where 20-plus years ago I had 17 grouse contacts on one afternoon and killed three. I should have retired then.

This time I had no bird contacts; not really a surprise.

What I did have were coyote contacts. In our tent on Saturday night we were treated to a coyote chorus from 2:30 AM until just after sunrise. From 360 degrees of the compass and from every elevation of the surrounding mountains. Must have been many many dozens of 'yotes out there.  While I love this sound, it is relatively new in these mountains, and I cannot imagine a ground-nesting bird has any chance. 

UplandVirginia
7 hours ago, GraceinVA said:

How did it go?

Walked around 3 miles in it with 0 action. Left and went to a 10 year old clear cut. 2 woodcock flushes and still no grouse. Heard plenty of them drumming though just to taunt me, I think. 

mister grouse
On 10/7/2020 at 12:44 PM, quailguy said:

What about volunteer help I asked, DU,

Not sure I understand your issue , as DU has zero goals in terms of clear cutting and burns and timbering on national forest??

• 4 weeks later...
boon hogganbeck

PS. For those interested in this topic, an 86,000 acre timber project is being proposed in WV’s northern Monongahela National Forest. If done right, it could produce some much-needed grouse habitat. Comments are being solicited here: https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public//CommentInput?Project=58364