REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
DennisMcFeely

Favorite Fly Fishing magazine?

DennisMcFeely

I’m a novice fly fisherman and was thinking of subscribing to a magazine or two.  Any favorites?

MAArcher

Fly tyer

rufftrout
10 minutes ago, DennisMcFeely said:

I’m a novice fly fisherman and was thinking of subscribing to a magazine or two.  Any favorites?

The Drake     not a how to magazine   just awesome writing  about the essence of the sport.  Only Fly Fishing magazine I read any more     Fly Tyer is good for sure 

WyomingArt

https://www.flyfisherman.com/   Don't know if you would consider on line, though this link may be a good place to start. 

Chukarman

There are a couple good omes. The ones I like best are Fly Fishing the Southwest, Fly Fishing the Northwest and California Fly Fisher. IMO, the best way for. novice to learn to fly fish is to join a club.

FlyChamps
25 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

IMO, the best way for. novice to learn to fly fish is to join a club.

I'm in total agreement with joining a club where you can find someone to instruct you in casting and fishing.  It was the single best thing I did when I started fly fishing.

You may be able to find a casting instructor or local club on the Fly Fishers International website here.  By the way a member here, Pat Berry, is the president and CEO of FFI.

Welcome to another addiction. 

atticus

As mentioned, The Drake. It can be a bit ‘hipster’ sometimes but it’s good!

Grousehunter

The Drake and Fly Fusion

DennisMcFeely
1 hour ago, Chukarman said:IMO, the best way for. novice to learn to fly fish is to join a club.

I’m working on that too Mike, good advice. Recently I spent a day of on-stream instruction with Cathy and Barry Beck in PA as well.  

atticus

As an aside, I found the Orvis guide to fly fishing good And helpful videos to watch. There are 2 seasons on YouTube. Also Rosenbouer’s book on beginning fly fishing was terrific and a good resource. 

warning—- do not spend the cold months watching Spey casting videos—another addiction.  

flyfishing is a deep rabbit hole!

WyomingArt

If you need winter reading along with those hard copy or digital magazines, read fly fishing authors like Robert Traver, John Gierach, Howell Raines, Tom McGuane,  there's many others.

mister grouse

Trout .  The magazine of the Trout Unlimited organization.  IMO Every cold water  fly fisherman should be a member and get that magazine. 

Geoff Roznak

The question I forgot to ask is: What do you plan on fly fishing for?

I chase everything from trout to musky...so my approach tends to be pretty broad.
Panfish are a great fish to learn how to cast on, and you can use the same rod you'd use for trout.  Everything else adds layers...

Dave in Maine

Fly Rod & Reel.

Oh. Right.  They went out a couple years ago.