Where to retire?

Hi. New member here.  New to upland hunting also. Work and family have limited my leisure time yet a love of the outdoors has led me to become an avid  striped bass fisherman. I have recently fell in love with walking the woods with a shotgun and have been able to draw some parallels between bird hunting and striper fishing. Habitat, bait, migration etc   Needless to say I’m hooked.  Our sons while still dependent on us demand less of our time which has allowed me spend some time in the Catskills hunting birds and whitetail, this spring I intend to devote some time to trout. 
The wife and I will be eligible to retire in the next few years and we are looking to get out of nyc. Most of our friends and family tend to move south of the Mason-Dixon Line.  We love the change of seasons  and  are open to just about anywhere in the the U.S. My pursuit of striped bass has taken me up and down the northeast coast from Maine to Virginia and I will admit the mountains and their proximity to the sea has made Maine one of my favorite places even though I’ve never been there for more than a long weekend at a time.  I’m hoping I’ve got enough energy and money left for a clean start on a couple idyllic acres in a peaceful valley somewhere near some fine upland hunting,   someq uncrowded trout streams and within a reasonable drive to the ocean  would be ideal. Access  to excellent healthcare would also be necessary.

Im sure towns that check off these boxes are well kept secrets but if you care to share I’d love to here from you.  
thanks and thanks for this great resource

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chipnice

• Speaks

• Mike da Carpenter

• 1971snipe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope you find a great place to retire but when you do find that perfect place remember why you chose it. Do not try to immediately change that perfect retirement place into the place you came from.

One thing I will point out to you fellows that are “a few years away” is don’t forget to live in the present. Really that pertains to all of us.  My wife and I worked right up to our early 60s and she

So.........here's the real deal on retiring/relocating to enjoy your sport.  You can can only hunt and fish so much.  Then what?  I've killed more grouse so far this year than I had in all the past 5

Posted Images

I can tell you SC is not the answer for having good bird hunting. No migrating stripes either. Trout in nc mountains but not as plentiful as up north and it can get pretty crowded depending on how far off the beaten path you want to hike.  

I cant imagine retiring anywhere other than northern MN. We dont have much in the way of stripers but do have excellent fishing. The twin cities has world class health care and you can live not that far north of the metro and be in bird country. 

7 minutes ago, Speaks said:

I cant imagine retiring anywhere other than northern MN. We dont have much in the way of stripers but do have excellent fishing. The twin cities has world class health care and you can live not that far north of the metro and be in bird country. 

I love the saltwater but Ive never been to Minnesota I’m sure it’s gorgeous

29 minutes ago, Speaks said:

You mean like International Falls north? Aka Frostbite Falls or The Icebox of the Country? Ive bear hunted the area and loved it but Im not so sure I could convince my wife of that move. 🤪

Traverse City, MI or Alpena if you like sunrises.  Have to replace the stripers with salmon and steelhead.

mister grouse

Don't come to Tennessee .  There are virtually no house for sale here .  Realtors complaining there is no inventory.

The ones that are for sale in the $250,000-$500,000 range generally are selling for 10-15 % premiums over asking /listing price first day offered on MLS,  and have maybe ten bidders. Many never  get listed on MLS, as neighbors tell friends and the bidding begins. Something about no state  income tax, four seasons,   lots of lake and stream fishing , and decent big game I guess. NO BIRDS.

When you talk about stripers are you talking about saltwater or freshwater?  Quite a few southern impoundments offer stripers. If you are talking about saltwater stripers , I might offer a suggestion to look into the Sandhills region of North Carolina. I always thought it was a nice area , more of a 3 season area w/o hard winters. You are within striking distance of the coast yet pretty close to good deer hunting and southern quail regions in South Carolina, and Georgia. If you Are happy with freshwater stripers you might think about West central Kentucky and Tennessee. Good striper lakes and rivers, great deer hunting, waterfowl and good striking distance to Midwest bird hunting in Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas

1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

You mean like International Falls north? Aka Frostbite Falls or The Icebox of the Country? Ive bear hunted the area and loved it but Im not so sure I could convince my wife of that move. 🤪

I keep inching my wifre further north with each move. Currently I am about an hour north of the twin cities and can be in good birds within an hour drive any where to the north or east. There are 5 or 6 boat launches within 5 minutes of my door. The northwest corner of Washington county and most of Chisago county are a sweet spot for access to a mayor metro area and good hunting not too far off. One day I will likely relocate to somewhere within an hour of Duluth, prime hunting an fishing out my front door, beautyfull area, reasonable healthcare in Duluth and first class a couple hours away in the twin cities. 

1 hour ago, Chipnice said:

I love the saltwater but Ive never been to Minnesota I’m sure it’s gorgeous

There are many gorgeous places, I travel a lot and have seen most of the US. I work remote when not traveling and can live anywhere I want and this is where I settled on, though is also where I grew up. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would have a big acerage right here, have my current cabin in NW WI but renovated a bit, have a cabin on a lake in the arrow heard region of northern MN, and a motor home in case I got restless. If I had to pick one spot it would be around grand rapids MN. 

I hope you find a great place to retire but when you do find that perfect place remember why you chose it. Do not try to immediately change that perfect retirement place into the place you came from.

1 hour ago, Auto-5 said:

When you talk about stripers are you talking about saltwater or freshwater?  Quite a few southern impoundments offer stripers. If you are talking about saltwater stripers , I might offer a suggestion to look into the Sandhills region of North Carolina. I always thought it was a nice area , more of a 3 season area w/o hard winters. You are within striking distance of the coast yet pretty close to good deer hunting and southern quail regions in South Carolina, and Georgia. If you Are happy with freshwater stripers you might think about West central Kentucky and Tennessee. Good striper lakes and rivers, great deer hunting, waterfowl and good striking distance to Midwest bird hunting in Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas

Thanks  saltwater stripers  but I feel I’ve learned enough about them that I could manage a few trips to the coast each year and do pretty well   I’m open to North Carolinian I have friends in swansboro I’ll look into the Sandhills 

1 hour ago, Brdhntr47 said:

I’m aware of how overrun the Hudson valley and the catskills are getting these days with people fleeing the city. We’ve been living in a small beach town just outside  it’s a great kept secret where nearly every home flies the flag and neighbors take care of each other but since hurricane sandy the word is out and the surrounding area is being “discovered” by hipsters and worse. We are being surrounded  We’ve been here for generations and I’ll always have a place here but this city is getting to be too much   I worry for our kids 

21 minutes ago, Snipeaholic said:

Not Florida. Come visit but not to live

If anyone else moves to Florida the entire state will sink .