Where to retire?

The three states with the most migration since the pandemic started are TX, TN, and Florida.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chipnice

• Speaks

• Mike da Carpenter

• 1971snipe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope you find a great place to retire but when you do find that perfect place remember why you chose it. Do not try to immediately change that perfect retirement place into the place you came from.

One thing I will point out to you fellows that are “a few years away” is don’t forget to live in the present. Really that pertains to all of us.  My wife and I worked right up to our early 60s and she

So.........here's the real deal on retiring/relocating to enjoy your sport.  You can can only hunt and fish so much.  Then what?  I've killed more grouse so far this year than I had in all the past 5

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Brdhntr47 said:

I hope you find a great place to retire but when you do find that perfect place remember why you chose it. Do not try to immediately change that perfect retirement place into the place you came from.

Sage advice

Northwest. Oregon has stripers, salmon, steelhead and albacore tuna in the salt, trout, bass and steelhead in the rivers, ruffed grouse, blue grouse, quail, band tail pigeons, Huns & chukar. Deer and elk, and bear. Lots of people retire to Oregon... maybe too many?

PS: Oregon also has some excellent waterfowling on the coast and inland.

17 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Sage advice

Yep it is a shame the number of once good hunting, fishing, outdoors states are being ruined now or already have been ruined due to urban migration . I moved out of Washington last year because of this

3 hours ago, Chukarman said:

Northwest. Oregon has stripers, salmon, steelhead and albacore tuna in the salt, trout, bass and steelhead in the rivers, ruffed grouse, blue grouse, quail, band tail pigeons, Huns & chukar. Deer and elk, and bear. Lots of people retire to Oregon... maybe too many?

PS: Oregon also has some excellent waterfowling on the coast and inland.

A lot of my friends are moving out of Oregon to Idaho, Wy and Montana because of the negative changes. Portland and Seattle are high crime dumps now. I used to live and work in both cities. Never going back

Like hurricanes, floods and refinery explosions?  Mosquitoes, humidity, dense fog and heat on Christmas Day?  Come to SE Texas.   

5 hours ago, Brdhntr47 said:

If I’m understanding you right I agree.  That’s part of our problem around here. People from up north come down here and try to change the way things are around here.  The locals don’t like it at all. Nor do they appreciate it 

Stripers, Grouse, and Woodcock....Maine is with out question the best place to be.

Also, world-class healthcare in Portland.

5 hours ago, Auto-5 said:

When you talk about stripers are you talking about saltwater or freshwater?  Quite a few southern impoundments offer stripers. If you are talking about saltwater stripers , I might offer a suggestion to look into the Sandhills region of North Carolina. I always thought it was a nice area , more of a 3 season area w/o hard winters. You are within striking distance of the coast yet pretty close to good deer hunting and southern quail regions in South Carolina, and Georgia. If you Are happy with freshwater stripers you might think about West central Kentucky and Tennessee. Good striper lakes and rivers, great deer hunting, waterfowl and good striking distance to Midwest bird hunting in Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas

Yes here in sc the salt water fishing is great along with fresh water lake fishing which several are loaded with stripers  we have a recovering deer population but like I originally said.  The quail are all but a thing of the past unless you have very good managed private.  We have a few on public .  That’s why I drive to Texas 3-4 times a year to ge my quail fix.   I’ve been trying to move out of this birdless state for quite a while. Maybe one day.  

10 minutes ago, mccuha said:

If I’m understanding you right I agree.  That’s part of our problem around here. People from up north come down here and try to change the way things are around here.  The locals don’t like it at all. Nor do they appreciate it 

You are understanding correctly.

2 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

Like hurricanes, floods and refinery explosions?  Mosquitoes, humidity, dense fog and heat on Christmas Day?  Come to SE Texas.   

Don’t forget 10+ days of 100-105 degree highs and 80 degree lows at 85%+ humidity.

🤮

7 hours ago, Big Al said:

Traverse City, MI or Alpena if you like sunrises.  Have to replace the stripers with salmon and steelhead.

TC sucks.  I just moved out because everyone else was moving in.  What was a nice place at one time is now an over crowded waste land.  

50 minutes ago, Ken E Bago said:

Stripers, Grouse, and Woodcock....Maine is with out question the best place to be.

Also, world-class healthcare in Portland.

That’s what’s up

For you guys out west, where in WY, MT, ID do you recommend for retirement and why? I'm curiously looking at this now with a 2-4 yr time horizon.