Where to retire?

Mike da Carpenter
51 minutes ago, SODAKer said:

For you guys out west, where in WY, MT, ID do you recommend for retirement and why? I'm curiously looking at this now with a 2-4 yr time horizon.  

I’m a big fan of the Bighorn Mountains.  Sheridan to the east side is not a far drive to MT, SD or ND for fantastic bird hunting.  Bighorns are filled with Mule deer (some years are better than others depending on winter snow as the deer migrate).  Pronghorn are pretty prevalent and the trout fishing is fantastic once you figure them out.  Elk hunting is good in quite a few of the zones and right now there are no grizzlies in the Bighorns as far as I know.

One word of caution...When you set up a tent camp and head out to not return for a few days, make sure you know how the ranchers will be moving their cattle.  Before I ever knew anything about this, I returned to a completely demolished camp done all by cattle.  I never wanted to put an arrow into something so bad.  To add insult to injury, the dang cows licked EVERY square inch of my truck.  How nothing got broken on the truck has me baffled to this day.

If I could handle the wind and the bitter cold winters, I would be there already.  With that said, I’m strongly considering WY for retirement though.  All depends on where our boys put down roots at.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chipnice

• Speaks

• Mike da Carpenter

• 1971snipe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope you find a great place to retire but when you do find that perfect place remember why you chose it. Do not try to immediately change that perfect retirement place into the place you came from.

One thing I will point out to you fellows that are “a few years away” is don’t forget to live in the present. Really that pertains to all of us.  My wife and I worked right up to our early 60s and she

So.........here's the real deal on retiring/relocating to enjoy your sport.  You can can only hunt and fish so much.  Then what?  I've killed more grouse so far this year than I had in all the past 5

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SODAKer said:

For you guys out west, where in WY, MT, ID do you recommend for retirement and why? I'm curiously looking at this now with a 2-4 yr time horizon.  

City or country?

Wife and I have talked about selling out and moving.  We have substantial real-estate that could be liquidated and would certainly provide us with an even stronger financial position but we have not "found" the place.  Wife is happy here and we have virtually no debt other then taxes and monthly costs.  We are secluded from the general public and have plenty of room to roam.  Hell, we have a rifle/pistol range in our "back yard" which we shoot from as we desire. Neither of us like Illinois politics and laws but they could be worse.  Although in the upcoming election there is a vote to change the State tax laws that proposes to lower taxes on everyone except the "millionaire class".  However, the passing of this would open the door for them to tax our current situation which does not tax our retirement income.....  You can guess what/who would be next.  

All that being said, we are comfortable at this time.  Based on the up coming election, many things could change.  We shall see.

Many of the folks that I grew up with in NJ have purchased properties in PA, ME and some down South  They wanted to have a safe haven so to speak to experience their retirement in places that were more attuned to their life styles. 

I guess, what I am saying here is do your homework.  Look at post retirement costs and maintenance of same as it relates to your retirement budget.  Unfortunately for both of us we are now somewhat deprived, via medical reasons, of being as active as we once were.  This is a big point for us.  I am one of those that should have retired sooner rather then later but I was still having fun in my job and did not think I would deteriorate as much as I have.  I dont want overly cold weather nor do I want overly hot weather.  Sooooo we are staying put for the moment.  Should the tax initiative I spoke of change our status I think we will be looking for a different home.

I do have several shooting friends that have gone to NC, SC, TN, and even KY.  They seem happy so far.  However as others have said these areas do not appreciate someone moving in and trying to change who they are or how they operate.

JMHO   

15 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

I’m a big fan of the Bighorn Mountains.  Sheridan to the east side is not a far drive to MT, SD or ND for fantastic bird hunting.  Bighorns are filled with Mule deer (some years are better than others depending on winter snow as the deer migrate).  Pronghorn are pretty prevalent and the trout fishing is fantastic once you figure them out.  Elk hunting is good in quite a few of the zones and right now there are no grizzlies in the Bighorns as far as I know.

One word of caution...When you set up a tent camp and head out to not return for a few days, make sure you know how the ranchers will be moving their cattle.  Before I ever knew anything about this, I returned to a completely demolished camp done all by cattle.  I never wanted to put an arrow into something so bad.  To add insult to injury, the dang cows licked EVERY square inch of my truck.  How nothing got broken on the truck has me baffled to this day.

If I could handle the wind and the bitter cold winters, I would be there already.  With that said, I’m strongly considering WY for retirement though.  All depends on where our boys put down roots at.

you must own a white truck

Mike da Carpenter
11 minutes ago, blanked said:

you must own a white truck

Always have owned white trucks (except when I made the mistake of buying a new black one).  Does a white truck look like a giant block of salt to them?

I’ve said many times. I want to move more westward but where I want to go is closer to where I hunt in tx but primarily it’s in much closer proximity to a bunch of other states I like to hunt and fish.  The more I think about it the more I think I’d be better of doing like kbd and have a camper and move to where I like any time I want. My “home base” would possibly be tx 

So.........here's the real deal on retiring/relocating to enjoy your sport.  You can can only hunt and fish so much.  Then what?  I've killed more grouse so far this year than I had in all the past 5 years combined.  I caught 9 Musky and a ton of bass over the summer.  Yeah?  Now what?  Fishing is done for the year and I have maybe 3 weeks of bird hunting left.  Then what? Deer season?  Sitting in a little hut guarding a bait pile?  What fun! Not.   It will be a very long winter and I don't ice fish or snow mobile.  I do travel a fair amount and if it weren't for that, living in the north would be brutal.  

Folks need to see at the big picture and remember life is 365 days a year.   Home is where you are most comfortable at.  Find that and live well.  You can always travel to the places you want to be.  

I love Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I live in Arizona because I do not like freezing weather. I can visit all the great places while living in a great place.

I can't recommend Arizona, though, there are rattlesnakes, scorpions, illegal aliens.

9 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Always have owned white trucks (except when I made the mistake of buying a new black one).  Does a white truck look like a giant block of salt to them?

ranchers use white trucks when they drop off some kind of supplement feed.  Herds of cattle come running when the ranchers white truck Drops off that feed

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, blanked said:

ranchers use white trucks when they drop off some kind of supplement feed.  Herds of cattle come running when the ranchers white truck Drops off that feed

HA!!  Since they didn’t find any food, I see why they destroyed the camp.

My wife and I have been struggling with the very same question.  Minnesota/Wisconsin are in the mix. So are Kansas/Nebraska.  New Mexico/Colorado could be but the shortage of water and abundance of people tend to rule them out, along with prices in the areas that most interest us.  

We need some acres, some bird hunting, some space.  Can't see being east of Wisconsin, or South of Iowa, unless western.  

4 hours ago, blanked said:

After so many generations of cattle, it's in their genetics now.  :)

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Interesting thoughts. Up until a couple of years ago I would have said AK was perfect, but than the price of oil dropped and our state is gonna have to change, in otherwords we will have to start paying to live here. Right now we still have no property tax on the first 350,000, no state taxes of any sort, some pittance in local sales taxes(30 max) and we got a dividend to live here.Throw in free car license, hunting and fishing licenses and you get the picture. Fishing is a fraction of what it was 30 years ago, but still this week I caught some kings, halibut and a whole mess of crabs. Tomorrow I'm going to go shoot grouse or ptarmigan. all within day trips from my house. But as was said no place is perfect, we have 4 months of darkness and as nasty of winter as anyone can imagine. Thought about moving south but there are just too many people and like was said the year is long and you can only hunt/fish so much. Oh and I cheat on health care, my wife is a physician and my big game hunting partner is also one.

55 minutes ago, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

Interesting thoughts. Up until a couple of years ago I would have said AK was perfect, but than the price of oil dropped and our state is gonna have to change, in otherwords we will have to start paying to live here. Right now we still have no property tax on the first 350,000, no state taxes of any sort, some pittance in local sales taxes(30 max) and we got a dividend to live here.Throw in free car license, hunting and fishing licenses and you get the picture. Fishing is a fraction of what it was 30 years ago, but still this week I caught some kings, halibut and a whole mess of crabs. Tomorrow I'm going to go shoot grouse or ptarmigan. all within day trips from my house. But as was said no place is perfect, we have 4 months of darkness and as nasty of winter as anyone can imagine. Thought about moving south but there are just too many people and like was said the year is long and you can only hunt/fish so much. Oh and I cheat on health care, my wife is a physician and my big game hunting partner is also one.

We spent a couple weeks fishing last summer near homer.  I loved it tough sell for the wife though.