Where to retire?

17 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

So.........here's the real deal on retiring/relocating to enjoy your sport.  You can can only hunt and fish so much.  Then what?  I've killed more grouse so far this year than I had in all the past 5 years combined.  I caught 9 Musky and a ton of bass over the summer.  Yeah?  Now what?  Fishing is done for the year and I have maybe 3 weeks of bird hunting left.  Then what? Deer season?  Sitting in a little hut guarding a bait pile?  What fun! Not.   It will be a very long winter and I don't ice fish or snow mobile.  I do travel a fair amount and if it weren't for that, living in the north would be brutal.  

Folks need to see at the big picture and remember life is 365 days a year.   Home is where you are most comfortable at.  Find that and live well.  You can always travel to the places you want to be.  

This is where we got to in our search.  We are targeting someplace fairly temperate, but located where we can get where we want to go at the times of year we want to go there.  For us that generally means a climate band of MO, KY, NC and parts of TN, IN, OH for full time residence. The bird hunting is fantastic up north, but there’s a risk of trading too hot to go outside for months at a time to it being too cold to go outside for months at a time.  (Remember, I can count my lifetime number of days below 15 degrees on one hand.)

You can only tie so many flies and load so many shotgun shells.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chipnice

• Speaks

• Mike da Carpenter

• 1971snipe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope you find a great place to retire but when you do find that perfect place remember why you chose it. Do not try to immediately change that perfect retirement place into the place you came from.

One thing I will point out to you fellows that are “a few years away” is don’t forget to live in the present. Really that pertains to all of us.  My wife and I worked right up to our early 60s and she

So.........here's the real deal on retiring/relocating to enjoy your sport.  You can can only hunt and fish so much.  Then what?  I've killed more grouse so far this year than I had in all the past 5

Posted Images

I went through all this 25 years ago.  

Happy we chose South Dakota, specifically the Black Hills.

Ruffled Grouses in the Black Hills

Sharptails/Prairie Chickens less than two hours away

Pheasants two hours away

Trout in the Black Hills

World-Class Walleye 20 minutes to three hours.

Whitetail/Mule Deer in the Black Hills'

Elk in the Black Hills

Antelope in 30 minutes

Airport - Rapid City, 50 miles - 40 minutes

Good Healthcare network

Plenty of cultural things to do

Shopping - all you need in Rapid City

No Income Tax

Alaskan Swamp Collie
11 hours ago, Chipnice said:

We spent a couple weeks fishing last summer near homer.  I loved it tough sell for the wife though.

Removed a couple feeder kings from Homer yesterday along with a cooler of Tanner crabs. My wife likes it just fine here. Less than 3 hours to Anchorage and a short hop to Seattle if you really need a city.

If your primary interest is fishing and hunting you might want to think about the length of the seasons. I love October and November in the north but my deer hunting can end in the amount of time it takes an arrow to travel 20 yards. For me that leaves a too short small game season. I plan to retire in the south where I can fish year around, and will travel north for a few weeks during the peak seasons. 

I recommend spending a couple short vacation trips (1 - 2 weeks) with your spouse in each of your potential locations prior to making any big investments unless you’ve already jumped this hurdle.

We started out by first purchasing acreage with a small cabin and then incrementally added square footage, outbuildings, and other features after we had determined this where we both wanted to live.  I’ve had several friends that bypassed this step and ended up moving to another location because they each had different expectations.

One of the problems of living in the North is what do you do in January - March if you’re not really into winter activities (snowmobiles, ice fishing, cross country skiing, etc.).  We’re fortunate to be able to snow bird in the South during this period of time.  There are no “perfect” locations - we’ve lived all over and each has its own +/-.

11 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

A few years ago, my wife interviewed for a job in Rapid City.  I hadn't been there since I was a kid, but we left feeling like it could be a pretty great place to live.  I distinctly recall sitting on a restaurant patio in downtown in January, which, coming from Minnesota, was... nice.

The list of places I would consider outside of Minnesota is pretty short, but also includes Bend, Oregon and Santa Fe, New Mexico.  As much as I love our forests and lakes and subzero, lower humidity, fewer bugs, and a milder version of real winter has its attractions.

Mike da Carpenter
11 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

Pheasants two hours away

Trout in the Black Hills

Elk in the Black Hills

Antelope in 30 minutes

Good Healthcare network

No Income Tax

What are the winters like on average?  I thoroughly enjoyed the Black Hills each time we have been there and bonus is my wife really liked the area too.

1 hour ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

What are the winters like on average?  I thoroughly enjoyed the Black Hills each time we have been there and bonus is my wife really liked the area too.

Winters are like Denver, we are at 3500 ft. We get snow, usually less than a foot at a time, it melts, we get more snow, it melts. 

In the 25 years I've lived here we've been able to golf at least once each month almost every year. Some times the ground is frozen and the pins are frozen in the cups but the snow is gone and the sun out and it is 50F plus.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sxsrf=ALeKk039j7Pyw9PWBDAWBPHVpewxNGvecA%3A1602602541230&ei=LcaFX4LJDcqb_Qar_4WgAw&q=average+winter+temperature+in+spearfish+sd&oq=average+temperature+in++spear+sd&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIICAAQCBAHEB4yBQgAEM0CMgUIABDNAjoECAAQRzoHCCMQsAIQJzoECAAQDToGCAAQBxAeOgIIAFDKe1ipswFgxr0BaABwAXgAgAGgAogBuRKSAQYwLjExLjOYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

The temperature will dip below 0F for a few daysat least once almost every winter.  

We've had a few significant Blizzards in the 25 years.

You forgot all the turkeys and prairie dogs. 😊  If you like the outdoors SD is the place and where you are at isn't bad.  I saw an impressive blizzard and 107 deg. in August while there.  Not many ice storms which would be nice.  The hills are definitely one of the sweet spots.

14 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

Pheasants two hours away

Trout in the Black Hills

Elk in the Black Hills

Antelope in 30 minutes

Good Healthcare network

No Income Tax

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, bigjohnsd said:

Winters are like Denver, we are at 3500 ft. We get snow, usually less than a foot at a time, it melts, we get more snow, it melts. 

In the 25 years I've lived here we've been able to golf at least once each month almost every year. Some times the ground is frozen and the pins are frozen in the cups but the snow is gone and the sun out and it is 50F plus.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sxsrf=ALeKk039j7Pyw9PWBDAWBPHVpewxNGvecA%3A1602602541230&ei=LcaFX4LJDcqb_Qar_4WgAw&q=average+winter+temperature+in+spearfish+sd&oq=average+temperature+in++spear+sd&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIICAAQCBAHEB4yBQgAEM0CMgUIABDNAjoECAAQRzoHCCMQsAIQJzoECAAQDToGCAAQBxAeOgIIAFDKe1ipswFgxr0BaABwAXgAgAGgAogBuRKSAQYwLjExLjOYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

The temperature will dip below 0F for a few daysat least once almost every winter.  

We've had a few significant Blizzards in the 25 years.

How’s the summer in Spearfish? You’ve peeked my interest as I love the Black Hills, just never thought to retire there.  If you have a SD bird license and want to hunt late season birds (early-mid December) shoot me a PM.  It’s a 3 hour drive, but worth every second of it.

If we could get our oldest to take a CO position out west, we will be moving that direction.  Our youngest is fortunate in that he will be able to work from anywhere in his chosen Career path.

New Mexico from Mid December until end of April. May through November in Maine. We are working on something like this. 

Keith E. Carlson

We did this exercise 40 years ago.

I was 41, wife 38, kids 14 and 9- one Brittany.

We were stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif, so for practical reasons we limited our search to the Western US

Our research was done at the library, since there was no "google" yet.

We took two, two week long family trips wandering around looking at different places.

We developed a list of what we wanted and what we did not want- that list is still good today.

A couple of rules that worked for us:

1.   Remember that you will live there 24/7 and for the rest of your life perhaps.

2.   If you buy the property of your dreams out of town it may be a long way to the beer store.

3.   It was important to us that we live in a community that feels like it "fits".

4.   In the West, the difference between a community and a "cowboy" or "logger" town is a community college or near by University.

5.   As one ages, medical facilities become more important- a couple of hour ambulance ride may not make it.

6.   As your kids and grandkids go out on their own, transportation may be important - many communities in the West are a two day flight to get anywhere.

Two items that I insisted upon:

No more that 1/2 day drive from really good fly fishing and bird hunting.

I would now add this:   if the local TV station has an "eye in the sky" or a traffic reporter the place is too big and is disqualified.

4 minutes ago, Keith E. Carlson said:

We did this exercise 40 years ago.

I was 41, wife 38, kids 14 and 9- one Brittany.

We were stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif, so for practical reasons we limited our search to the Western US

Our research was done at the library, since there was no "google" yet.

We took two, two week long family trips wandering around looking at different places.

We developed a list of what we wanted and what we did not want- that list is still good today.

A couple of rules that worked for us:

1.   Remember that you will live there 24/7 and for the rest of your life perhaps.

2.   If you buy the property of your dreams out of town it may be a long way to the beer store.

3.   It was important to us that we live in a community that feels like it "fits".

4.   In the West, the difference between a community and a "cowboy" or "logger" town is a community college or near by University.

5.   As one ages, medical facilities become more important- a couple of hour ambulance ride may not make it.

6.   As your kids and grandkids go out on their own, transportation may be important - many communities in the West are a two day flight to get anywhere.

Two items that I insisted upon:

No more that 1/2 day drive from really good fly fishing and bird hunting.

I would now add this:   if the local TV station has an "eye in the sky" or a traffic reporter the place is too big and is disqualified.

This is a good set of rules. One of the reasons I like my general area is it feels very rural but am within an hour of the Minneapolis airport and very good medical care. Also ok hunting right here while still being close to farm country and the north woods for even better hunting. Great fishing, not much in trout fishing right here but driftless area is not far away. 

My next house will likely be close to here though more than likely another 15 or 20 min farther from the cities and closer to my cabin. I think that will make a good compromise approach. 

I travel a ton for work and have found few places where I would be as satisfied with the compromise as I am here. Outside of Salt Lake City would not be bad though in many ways though I have not really dug into bird hunting there and fishing is not what I would like it to be. 

shoot-straight

I'm still "kinda" young at 45, but will have 30 years of civil service time at 52. No kids so we've been putting a lot away for later. I plan to retire at 52, wife gets upset when I talk about it Because she still "wants to work"???? 

I would like may-nov in northern Rockies, rest of year is my wife's choice. Declaring full time residency in a state like TN or other tax friendly haven has serious advantages. Maryland is the opposite. Will just have to see how things work out.