Where to retire?

On 10/15/2020 at 7:50 PM, Chipnice said:
On 10/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, Pub Scout said:

What is this retirement you all are speaking of?

I watched my dad and uncles men whom I respected greatly fall apart in retirement

They each lacked a purpose a reason to get up and go each day

im hoping that the responsibility of small farm with a  few chickens and maybe a few litters of bird dogs to train will keep me busy enough to never stop moving and hopefully fend off the pub and the television / internet 

While I completely agree with your take on this after watching my grandfather and father fall to pieces in retirement, my comment was more tongue in cheek.  I meant that I would never get there, at least on this side of the daisies.  I'm in my mid-40s  and looking at 20+ years before it is even a consideration.  My wife on the other hand will be looking for new arm candy as she has been teaching for 25 years and has 9 years to go before she max's out her pension.  🤔Maybe I shouldn't have taken out that huge life insurance policy...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chipnice

• Speaks

• Mike da Carpenter

• 1971snipe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope you find a great place to retire but when you do find that perfect place remember why you chose it. Do not try to immediately change that perfect retirement place into the place you came from.

One thing I will point out to you fellows that are “a few years away” is don’t forget to live in the present. Really that pertains to all of us.  My wife and I worked right up to our early 60s and she

So.........here's the real deal on retiring/relocating to enjoy your sport.  You can can only hunt and fish so much.  Then what?  I've killed more grouse so far this year than I had in all the past 5

Posted Images

One thing I will point out to you fellows that are “a few years away” is don’t forget to live in the present. Really that pertains to all of us.  My wife and I worked right up to our early 60s and she was diagnosed with cancer which took her life a couple of years later. It was a rough 5 years and my life changed in ways that I never envisioned when I dreamed what our retirement was going to be.  I’m not saying this to be a  downer as I have just celebrated our first anniversary with my wonderful wife, relocated and even purchased a 2nd retirement home . As to hunting I ve come to realize that my hunting and shooting is more about my friends than just collecting game so I realize that their health and abilities will have a big influence on my outdoor future.  My point is enjoy your hunting now and If it is that important to you don’t wait to get to that dream spot if you can possibly make it work. 

On 10/18/2020 at 8:49 AM, Auto-5 said:

One thing I will point out to you fellows that are “a few years away” is don’t forget to live in the present. Really that pertains to all of us.  My wife and I worked right up to our early 60s and she was diagnosed with cancer which took her life a couple of years later. It was a rough 5 years and my life changed in ways that I never envisioned when I dreamed what our retirement was going to be.  I’m not saying this to be a  downer as I have just celebrated our first anniversary with my wonderful wife, relocated and even purchased a 2nd retirement home . As to hunting I ve come to realize that my hunting and shooting is more about my friends than just collecting game so I realize that their health and abilities will have a big influence on my outdoor future.  My point is enjoy your hunting now and If it is that important to you don’t wait to get to that dream spot if you can possibly make it work. 

This, I watched my father work his entire life and while he still hunted some and shot competition a lot he always worked to retire where he could shoot year ronund and be close to birds to hunt. He didn't make it, diagnosed with cancer at 54 and passed 6 months later. I inherited some money, a lot of tools and even more guns. Used the money to pay for my a big part of my daughters college, still have not shot all of the guns working on it. As much as I cherish the things he left I would trade them all if he had gotten to enjoy his retirement plans. 

stwilgefortis
On 10/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, mister grouse said:

Don't come to Tennessee .  There are virtually no house for sale here .  Realtors complaining there is no inventory.

The ones that are for sale in the $250,000-$500,000 range generally are selling for 10-15 % premiums over asking /listing price first day offered on MLS,  and have maybe ten bidders. Many never  get listed on MLS, as neighbors tell friends and the bidding begins. Something about no state  income tax, four seasons,   lots of lake and stream fishing , and decent big game I guess. NO BIRDS.

And lots and lots of deer and turkey hunting!

On 10/13/2020 at 10:26 AM, bigjohnsd said:

Winters are like Denver, we are at 3500 ft. We get snow, usually less than a foot at a time, it melts, we get more snow, it melts. 

In the 25 years I've lived here we've been able to golf at least once each month almost every year. Some times the ground is frozen and the pins are frozen in the cups but the snow is gone and the sun out and it is 50F plus.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sxsrf=ALeKk039j7Pyw9PWBDAWBPHVpewxNGvecA%3A1602602541230&ei=LcaFX4LJDcqb_Qar_4WgAw&q=average+winter+temperature+in+spearfish+sd&oq=average+temperature+in++spear+sd&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIICAAQCBAHEB4yBQgAEM0CMgUIABDNAjoECAAQRzoHCCMQsAIQJzoECAAQDToGCAAQBxAeOgIIAFDKe1ipswFgxr0BaABwAXgAgAGgAogBuRKSAQYwLjExLjOYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

The temperature will dip below 0F for a few daysat least once almost every winter.  

We've had a few significant Blizzards in the 25 years.

And then you get your odd winter.  Tonight the low is forecast to be 2F, my wife reports she and my daughter just cleared a foot of snow off the driveway. With the La Nina this may be one of those years when this October snow melts in May.  Welcome to South Dakota, if you don't like the weather wait ten minutes,  it is sure to change.

Maine, is awesome except from December to about mid April....March being the absolute worst Month, because you see spring everywhere else on the news but you are still in the depths of winter.  The weather toys with you...it gives a glimpse of spring and some hope and then it snatches it away from you.

I could retire now but I still work. I like the dough. 

I plan on retiring here, even with the taxes, because without a doubt from Aug 15th to Oct 15th I cannot think of better place or the best two months to live anywhere else. Extending back into summer is pretty nice too, as is up to about Thanksgiving in Nov. Even December is bearable because you very often do get a White Christmas and that is kinda cool get a little snow...but then winter hits, and it is cold and dark, and it really kinda blows...That is hwy we don't have a very large population...winters suck....

I just have to finagle a way to live in a warmer spot for those crappy months.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's I had a small place in Mexico and at that time I thought I would retire there but the drug cartels have kinda wrecked that country.

For now, my wife and I who were born and raised in WI will remain here until wife's mother age 97 passes on. There's a 50/50 chance we'll stay in place and have been looking at Sioux Falls as possible re-lo given its central location to the activities I indulge in. SF is clearly the better option for retired folks living on a fixed income. We'll downsize from our current home when we do move.

1 hour ago, Spiller said:

Maine, is awesome except from December to about mid April....March being the absolute worst Month, because you see spring everywhere else on the news but you are still in the depths of winter.  The weather toys with you...it gives a glimpse of spring and some hope and then it snatches it away from you.

I could retire now but I still work. I like the dough. 

I plan on retiring here, even with the taxes, because without a doubt from Aug 15th to Oct 15th I cannot think of better place or the best two months to live anywhere else. Extending back into summer is pretty nice too, as is up to about Thanksgiving in Nov. Even December is bearable because you very often do get a White Christmas and that is kinda cool get a little snow...but then winter hits, and it is cold and dark, and it really kinda blows...That is hwy we don't have a very large population...winters suck....

I just have to finagle a way to live in a warmer spot for those crappy months.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's I had a small place in Mexico and at that time I thought I would retire there but the drug cartels have kinda wrecked that country.

You need to think ice fishing, snowmobiles, crosscountry skiing and ATVs.

Perk

2 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Perk

Think walking on the beach, hunting ducks, fishing in the bay for specs and reds, driftwood fires and the Gulf Coast. YOU can have all of my snow, ice and zero degree weather.  Now if could just convince the better half....

4 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Think walking on the beach, hunting ducks, fishing in the bay for specs and reds, driftwood fires and the Gulf Coast. YOU can have all of my snow, ice and zero degree weather.  Now if could just convince the better half....

You want to go back home.  Nothing wrong with that.  Nothing wrong with a really comfy ice fishing shanty....a cabin on the ice where you might spend weeks at a time and I do.  Combine that with a four-stroke snowmobile with heated grips, heated seat, plug-in defogger on helmets and ducted heat to the operator....not your father's sled (Maine terminology for snowmobile).  Super quiet engine and air suspension add to the enjoyment.  A group of us rode from Maine to Minnesota partially through Canada a few years back.  I had zero problems with my sled.  The trip was fantastic and I hope to do it again.

Perk

17 minutes ago, quailguy said:

I will be expecting an invite after you get there....please.

Perk

2 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Perk

No worries,  I'm all into that stuff. You have to,  to survive the bleak Maine winters. 

In fact, a bluebird day ice fishing, if the sun comes out and the weather warms up a bit, is for me an all time "finest kind" of a Maine day. Especially when you load up on the panfish that is wormy in summer but succulent during ice fishing season, and the flags are flying all day. There are fewer of them days however, than the less better weather window we live with....

Between me and my kids we have three "permies" that we move around. I get it...I've lived here long enough.   

BTW, I do cross country ski, but a snow machine once you get one and getting a little older changes your views on that stuff...I'm all in....but I could see that I might enjoy before I started to push up daisies, a little bonefish and snook flyfishing and my toes in the sand as being a nice alternative....

stephen brown
On 10/11/2020 at 8:52 AM, Chipnice said:

The wife and I will be eligible to retire in the next few years and we are looking to get out of nyc. Most of our friends and family tend to move south of the Mason-Dixon Line.  

Interesting. Most NYorkers I've met are moving 2hrs or so from Manhattan. Something about staying close to friends and family.