Jump to content

Garmin Instinct tracking


Recommended Posts

Ever since I got my Garmin Instinct and linked it up with my smart phone I feel like big brother is watching every move I make.  If I go to a store I get notices on my cell phone like "How did you like your trip to Home Depot", Walmart, Lowes, Walgreens, etc, you name the store and it asks how I liked it. 

I don't have anything to hide with my whereabouts but it does bother me that this thing is keeping track of everywhere I go.  Is there any way  to shut off this tracking mode or should I have spent the extra money and have gotten the Tactical Instinct where I could put it in stealth mode? 

 

Technology challenged Virgil 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a different complaint about my instinct.  I loved it for tracking the dogs at home.  However, since the real world of hunting includes busting thru brush, every time  I turn around I have bumped some button somewhere and its in crazy mode.   Is there a way you can lock down the screen so that stuff doesn't happen.  PS.  I just returned it to default settings because it was tracking every move I made via GPS and the battery life was dropping like a stone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tut said:

I have a different complaint about my instinct.  I loved it for tracking the dogs at home.  However, since the real world of hunting includes busting thru brush, every time  I turn around I have bumped some button somewhere and its in crazy mode.   Is there a way you can lock down the screen so that stuff doesn't happen.  PS.  I just returned it to default settings because it was tracking every move I made via GPS and the battery life was dropping like a stone.

I don't know about the tracking, but I think there might be a way to shut it off.  I'll poke around a bit.  Does default settings under "Track Me" do it?

 

As far as locking the buttons, hold down the "CTRL" button at 10 o'clock.  You'll see a semi-circular group of icons.  You can scroll through these with the "MENU" and "ABC" buttons at 8 and 9 o'clock.  One of the icons should look like a padlock.  Scroll it around to until it's in the little windo and click the "GPS" button at 2 o'clock.  That locks the buttons.  To unlock them hold down any of the buttons for a few seconds.

 

Keeps things from getting all hosed up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cooter Brown said:

I don't know about the tracking, but I think there might be a way to shut it off.  I'll poke around a bit.  Does default settings under "Track Me" do it?

 

As far as locking the buttons, hold down the "CTRL" button at 10 o'clock.  You'll see a semi-circular group of icons.  You can scroll through these with the "MENU" and "ABC" buttons at 8 and 9 o'clock.  One of the icons should look like a padlock.  Scroll it around to until it's in the little windo and click the "GPS" button at 2 o'clock.  That locks the buttons.  To unlock them hold down any of the buttons for a few seconds.

 

Keeps things from getting all hosed up.

 

Will try that.  It was wild.  It works great until one tries to traverse a thick stand of Aspen and starts banging buttons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tut said:

 

Will try that.  It was wild.  It works great until one tries to traverse a thick stand of Aspen and starts banging buttons.

You might also try turning the watch so that the face is on the inside of the wrist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Erickson

My Fenix 3 would jump screens until I learned how to lock the screen like Cooter mentioned. Now no problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Erickson

Definitely have the face inside the wrist. You can come into points with your gun in ready position and still see the watch face.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

Definitely have the face inside the wrist. You can come into points with your gun in ready position and still see the watch face.

That's a great advantage if you're not using a beeper--you can tell at a glance without taking your hands off the gun if the dog has come off point.  This was always the biggest problem with the system until the watch came along--knowing when the dog came off the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Erickson
56 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

That's a great advantage if you're not using a beeper--you can tell at a glance without taking your hands off the gun if the dog has come off point.  This was always the biggest problem with the system until the watch came along--knowing when the dog came off the point.

 

I've had great success with it on educated pheasants in heavy cover that won't hold for a point. You can adjust your path to help cut off the bird and be ready for the shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me just say that I hate all electronics but may have hit a lucky break with the Instinct.  Happened to be near Lion Country Supply a few weeks ago so stopped in to have them do a software update on my Astro 430, two tracking collars and the Instinct watch.  Their guy is very knowledgeable about this stuff and so when it was done I talked with him a few minutes.  I told him that the only feature of the Instinct I ever used was the dog tracking and the rest of it just got in my way.  He shut off everything except the dog tracking, watch face, and the altimeter.  What a difference, my battery life increased dramatically and the whole thing is just easier to use. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...