REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
A516

WHAT HAVE YOU LEFT ON TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE WHEN DRIVING?

A516

I was watching the AllState commercial where the guy left the goldfish bowl on top of the car.  I got to wondering what people have put up on top of their vehicles and driven off leaving it up there.  My goof-up was leaving a Ruger Single-Six in a holster up there while loading my old station wagon to go shooting.  Thank goodness the old wagon had a luggage rack and the holster lodged in the back corner.  Went about 25 miles to the range.  Holster/Revolver were just fine.  I wondered why people in cars passing me on the interstate had strange looks on their faces.

WMassGriff

Hunting jacket on my old station wagon. Fortunately an honest person found it with my license inside and contacted me.

Kansas Bound

Plastic Plano tackle box. Hit the road doing 45 and didn't break.

Spin

Coffee, multiple times. Flyrod/reel i was able to backtrack after I stopped at a on foot jump off point to a nice stretch of the stream and found out that I never put it back in the truck.

GPS, launched that baby off the top of the cab and into the state highway and major logging truck route when I laid on the brakes at the intersection ( Doing a 2 day roam on a remote section of a good trout stream, stupid rush!)  Sustained some damage  but made it through the walk - a -bout. Left my wallet on the step bumper of the truck where it hung on for a good 1/4 mi. before falling off onto an access track leading to a wilderness area. I found it but long story I won't get into.

Coffee thermos, took a licking and kept on ticking. Thermos brand all stainless, I've pounded tent stakes in with it.

vabirddog

Drove 10 miles with a chainsaw sitting on my tailgate. Thankfully I was not in my normal hurry and I have a good bedliner.  

gunsrus

Jeep CJ rag top , traveled about two miles . A pristine BL 3 20 gauge barrel just started to slide over the windshield so I saw it . Crept to a stop and no damage . Never put anything since on top of a car . I thanked the gun gods .

cjc5f9

Probably pretty good list if I really could remember (especially if you count things on tailgate etc.); gun, collars, dog pans, coffee cups, wallet, phone. What I really wonder is how many things I haven't ever noticed. Always amazes me when I take off and don't notice something on the hood in front of me for a bit.

Skybuster

A pair of shooting glasses in a maroon case... same color as the vehicle. Never recovered.

airmedic1

Not on top of the car but my wife put a $180 Snap-On ratchet and socket on the bumper of my truck and left it there.  I got in the truck and drove off not knowing it was there.  Somebody had a good day because of her.

Brdhntr47

Assorted dog stuff. Leases, comb, brush, water bowl. Usually find most of it.

Remo

Also a BL-3. I realized my mistake at the Stop sign. Dented the rib and scuffed up the muzzle. 

Jack L

My old hunting buddy left his Browning 20 ga Citori atop my Suburban. we drove several miles Across frozen dirt roads to the next spot. That’s when he discovered his gun on top of the truck , 

after he quit hunting I bought that gun from him 

caleb
9 minutes ago, Jack L said:

My old hunting buddy left his Browning 20 ga Citori atop my Suburban. we drove several miles Across frozen dirt roads to the next spot. That’s when he discovered his gun on top of the truck , 

after he quit hunting I bought that gun from him 

Seems like a lucky gun.

I’m not lucky, so I put guns on the hood. 

Jack L
18 minutes ago, caleb said:

Seems like a lucky gun.

I’m not lucky, so I put guns on the hood. 

It does put pheasants in the bag.

971F13E2-8A88-4DDE-A205-9DE8B00E968F.thumb.jpeg.c4dfd05c73c326ebaa54fddab26e1532.jpeg

bigdog MN

Years ago my dad and I lost a fly rod off the top of a pickup topper in southern Mn.  Someone found it and turned it in at the local Tavern where they had a weekly big trout contest, the owners knew dad and we got it back.