REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
A516

WHAT HAVE YOU LEFT ON TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE WHEN DRIVING?

Alaskan Swamp Collie

In the middle of no where Montana we meet and pass another car. My wife's cell phone rings and it is a friend from back home asking if she just passed us. Yes that was us and we had just hunted that block management area behind us. She replied that they had hunted it earlier in the day and she had lost her gun by leaving it on top of the car and was looking for it and wondered if we had found it. Apparently we had hunted a different approach and she found it as we ran into her at the next town with her gun again. Me I have so far lost a whole kitchen of coffee cups, gloves and dog training supplies.

A516

The Ruger left on the roof is not the only thing I have done.  I was goose hunting in the mid 1970's at a field just off the Horseshoe Lake Refuge in southern Illinois.  Had finished up that morning, loaded my gear and started talking to some other hunters.  Got in my old stationwagon and backed up.  Heard a lot of yelling and then one of my rear tires went over something.  Got out and found that I had run over my Browning A5 Magnum in a soft case.  Took out the A5, it worked fine and there was not a scratch on it.  The only thing that happened was that as the tire rolled over the end of the case it pulled the recoil pad slightly away from wood.  When the recoil pad went back in place it caught a piece of the fuzzy lining of the case and firmly held the fuzz between the wood and pad.  The piece is still there after 45+ years.  I left it there as a stupid move reminder.

Dave Erickson

Nothing...knock on wood. Did see a lady drive through town with a gallon of milk on her roof. Looked silly and gave me a chuckle.

paul frey

I left a ratchet and socket on my bumper after working on my truck. It didn’t fall off (suprisingly) 

SelbyLowndes

Parker Bros. DHE Grade on the hood, in plain site.  I cranked up the truck and drove off with it there.  It dismounted all by itself when I noticed it and stopped.  Luckily a dirt road so no damage...SelbyLowndes

Wes Stueber

Years ago, when the quail hunting was good here, my buddy was driving his p/u and Dick left his Citori on top of the dog box.  Neither one of us noticed it as we put up the dogs, visiting and didn't see it up there..!  Well, down the country 'gravel' road we went and he saw it fly off in the side mirror just a bit later - onto the roadbed.

Dick stopped, got out, picked it up and said, "no problem".  I said OUCH..!  Other than being all scratched up, the rib dented, he kept on shooting it.  That was one of two incidences.  

The last one was one where I found a Citori along a road, same condition.  Luckily, I found the owner a few days later and we were both happy he had it returned.  I found out the same thing happened to him, too.  {Thank goodness for extended choke tubes!}

I TRY to always put my shotgun away first in the truck and THEN the dogs next..!  (I hope I don't get those two turned around one day..?)

Brittman

airmedic1
3 hours ago, Wes Stueber said:

I TRY to always put my shotgun away first in the truck and THEN the dogs next..!  (I hope I don't get those two turned around one day..?)

Brittman

That is what I do. When I get close to the truck, I unload my gun, open the back door of my pickup and sit my shotgun in the truck.  I then water and load the dogs, turn off the Astro and go back and put my gun in the case and hang up my vest.  This is a habit I developed over the years. If for some reason I have to take care of the dogs and don’t  have time to follow my normal routine I lay the shotgun on the dog box and drop the keys in the trigger guard. 

4setters

Putting the gun in the cab/case first is a good idea.  In the early 90s, three of us finished up hunting a 80 and my two partners crossed the road to hunt a 160.  I went back to the truck to move it about 1/2 mile to the new site.  My brother's dog showed up about the time that I got back to the truck and played "hard to load up."  In the aggravation of getting him in the back of the truck under the camper shell, I laid my Sears 103 II 16 gauge o/u on the top of the fiberglass camper shell.  Yep, it made the ride to the new site, part of it on pavement, part of a bumpy pull in site.  Although I could see no damage or scratches, it must have affected the barrels, as I stepped on a rooster shortly thereafter, and missed it twice!  (It later self-corrected, and has been a excellent "plain-Jane" bird gun in mixed quail/pheasant country ever since)!

Windrider

I don’t put stuff on the top of the car.  I leave it on the back bumper.  My coffee thermos is the number one item.  It’s amazing how long it will ride there now that I drive like an old man.

mister grouse

Friend left his model 21 20 guage on top Of The trunk of his older model ford sedan in about 1990. Drove fifty miles home. It was still there. 
  Another friend left a model 12 propped on rear tire of his truck. Then  he backed up and then forward a few times to leave where he was parked. Thus driving over their home and realized his gun was gone.  Found it buried in mud where he had parked. Bent the  model 12 barrels. Had to replace them 

ScottGrush

Remington 1100 28 gauge Sporting model. It survived backing out, going a mile down the road, stopping, turning right, going a couple miles and then came off as I approached the next stop. I saw something "move" in my side mirror and instantly knew what it was. I was sick. The road rash ruined the gun, I traded it in and got $300 for it. 

Spin1

A watch and my wallet, years ago, found the wallet but not the watch.

SelbyLowndes

Bo Whoop...SelbyLowndes

UplandHntr

Im just amazed at the amount of guns put on top of vehicles. 

kgb
1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

Im just amazed at the amount of guns put on top of vehicles. 

My first hunting trip to Wisconsin I set my shotgun on the dog box in the bed of my truck as I loaded up the dog.  Some guys running dogs (for bear, I think they said) walked up and advised that I could be fined for doing that.  That got me putting guns in the back seat, usually into a case, as the first step when returning to the vehicle. I've backed over and flattened a metal dog dish so far, hope that remains the peak of my career in that arena.