WHAT HAVE YOU LEFT ON TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE WHEN DRIVING?

I’ve managed to forget to close the tailgate and lost a few things but this one really scared me. I drove a school bus during college. One morning I was waiting at the end of the block and watched a mom come out and put her baby, who was in one of those bucket seats on top of her car. She unlocked it got in and started driving towards me. I got out and managed to stop her. She broke down crying, but all ended well. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Steese

• Jack L

• SelbyLowndes

• Wes Stueber

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched what turned out to be a Colt Python slide off a Corvette leaving a National Forest road and chased the guy for miles before catching him in town to return it.  Don'tcha know he was looking for

Ben Hong and I were hunting Saskatchewan Huns and took a mid day break for lunch at a nearby Hires root beer joint. Went to our next spot and I allowed as how it was going to be tough to hunt without

Putting the gun in the cab/case first is a good idea.  In the early 90s, three of us finished up hunting a 80 and my two partners crossed the road to hunt a 160.  I went back to the truck to move it a

Posted Images

I have never done that .....................................yet.  But I have found a number of tools while driving, mostly framing hammers and other assorted hand tools like saws, screwdrivers, pocket knives, box cutters, couple of Ohaus 3 beam scales etc. 

Virgil

4 hours ago, A516 said:

My goof-up was leaving a Ruger Single-Six in a holster up there while loading my old station wagon to go shooting

Watched what turned out to be a Colt Python slide off a Corvette leaving a National Forest road and chased the guy for miles before catching him in town to return it.  Don'tcha know he was looking for it while some crazy guy was chasing him.

Dave in Maine

Can't think of anything off the top of my head.  But there was the one time where I got to watch a guy pull out of the parking lot of a market with a full-sized sheet cake on the roof.  It was a Moravian Sugar Cake, for you Eastern PA folks.

That cake came to a bad end.

I've also witnessed a couple birthday cakes that never made it to the party.

And then there was that one time on the covered roadway in Jersey City, between the NYC-bound Pulaski Skyway and the ramp down to the Holland Tunnel, where someone's roof-carried suitcase took off and exploded a family's worth of clothes all over the highway.  No stopping to pick that up.

I don't think I've ever left anything on the top of a vehicle, but if I did it might explain why I can't find a pair of Muck Boots from several years ago.  I did leave a nice Case knife stuck in a stump after cleaning a ruffled grouse one day and drove back to get it.  Was a calculation whether I'd gone too far to turn back around but even with more knives than I need I kinda liked that one.

Prescription sunglasses. Turned out of the driveway, heard something slide across the roof, realized what it was and was able to stop safely right away. One of the lenses was a bit scratched but otherwise OK.

Ben Hong and I were hunting Saskatchewan Huns and took a mid day break for lunch at a nearby Hires root beer joint. Went to our next spot and I allowed as how it was going to be tough to hunt without a firearm! We backtracked and by pure luck found it in a roadside ditch. No damage, except to my blood pressure!!

I left a 700 BDL on the m bumper, backed up, and backed over it, which resulted in a cracked stock and a buggered up bolt handle. Coffee cups more times than I can count. Usually I would set the coffee on the roof while I buckled the kids in their car seats. My Yakima bars saved many of those cups. 

Nothing more valuable than a couple of coffee cups.

An older friend taught me to put fly rods and firearms on the windshield wipers of my vehicle so I would see it and not drive away.  Yes, this has saved both fly rods and firearms for me as, while cranking my vehicle, they were staring me in the face.

17 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Ben Hong and I were hunting Saskatchewan Huns and took a mid day break for lunch at a nearby Hires root beer joint. Went to our next spot and I allowed as how it was going to be tough to hunt without a firearm! We backtracked and by pure luck found it in a roadside ditch. No damage, except to my blood pressure!!

Isn't that a great way to kick start the heart?

Montana I leaned the AYA against the rear wheel because work called just as I got back to the truck.  Loaded the dogs, jumped in the truck and drove off still talking to work on the phone.  Got to the next spot and no gun.  Drove back and found the gun was laying in my parking spot and that I had run over it with the truck.  Amazingly the truck was perfectly fine from running the gun over.  And the gun was OK too.

Same thing and same gun but in the U.P..  Work Called as I was about back to the truck.  Leaned my gun against a post at the side of the road so I could get through the gate.  A fairly busy road at a public walk in parking area.   Drove off to the Soo for lunch then off to my next hunting spot.  Got out, unloaded the dogs and no gun.  Drove back to the last spot and there it was in plain site for all to see for well over an hour.   Sucks getting old and forgetful.  

2 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Isn't that a great way to kick start the heart?

Montana I leaned the AYA against the rear wheel because work called just as I got back to the truck.  Loaded the dogs, jumped in the truck and drove off still talking to work on the phone.  Got to the next spot and no gun.  Drove back and found the gun was laying in my parking spot and that I had run over it with the truck.  Amazingly the truck was perfectly fine from running the gun over.  And the gun was OK too.

Same thing and same gun but in the U.P..  Work Called as I was about back to the truck.  Leaned my gun against a post at the side of the road so I could get through the gate.  A fairly busy road at a public walk in parking area.   Drove off to the Soo for lunch then off to my next hunting spot.  Got out, unloaded the dogs and no gun.  Drove back to the last spot and there it was in plain site for all to see for well over an hour.   Sucks getting old and forgetful.  

The same gun in the photo was left on top of my SUV in Kansas. It fell off as I turned from the dirt road on to the paved road.

Couple years ago I left a Garmin Astro and a DC-40 collar on the roof of my truck as I drove off to the next hunting spot.  Didn't realize it until I went to put it on the dog a half hour later and couldn't find it.  Started back to where I'd taken it off the dog but drove pretty slow thinking I'd find it on the road on the way back.  Made it all the way back and was really disappointed when it wasn't laying there in the road.  Figuring someone picked it up I wrote the thing off as a loss due to stupidity and started the drive back the other way again.  As I came to a hard top road intersection I had to stop for traffic and something caught my eye in the ditch at the intersection.  It was the orange collar of the DC-40, found the Astro in the same ditch several yards further after that turn, neither was damaged.

Another time I left a pair of nice sunglasses on the roof of my old explorer and drove about fifty miles on the interstate.  Luckily they became hooked on the roof rack and were none the worse for the ride.

I shot a prairie chicken and a sharp tail then took this picture .

ECE6144D-63D9-4D04-9092-839B4AD17372.thumb.jpeg.60beaef8d7a647f8fd464eac52d473ab.jpeg

loaded up and went to town for gas. Drove to my next spot, went to get my gun and no gun.

I left it laying in the field. Drove back and there it was .

Iphone on SUV roof.  I started to use my watch to beep my Phone- sounded really mute.  I rolled down my window then could hear it really well!