WHAT HAVE YOU LEFT ON TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE WHEN DRIVING?

Not quite what the OP asked for but it's the best I've got.

When we lived in Michigan many years ago we had a little farm.  We came home from church one Sunday night and I had to do something in the barn before I went in the house.  I laid my Bible on the car and went to the barn. When I got the animal back in the pen I went into the house.  Of course I left the Bible on the car and yep it rained that night.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Steese

• Jack L

• SelbyLowndes

• Wes Stueber

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched what turned out to be a Colt Python slide off a Corvette leaving a National Forest road and chased the guy for miles before catching him in town to return it.  Don'tcha know he was looking for

Ben Hong and I were hunting Saskatchewan Huns and took a mid day break for lunch at a nearby Hires root beer joint. Went to our next spot and I allowed as how it was going to be tough to hunt without

Putting the gun in the cab/case first is a good idea.  In the early 90s, three of us finished up hunting a 80 and my two partners crossed the road to hunt a 160.  I went back to the truck to move it a

Posted Images

8 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

Im just amazed at the amount of guns put on top of vehicles. 

I’ll add the reason I probably have not done it is reading the stories told here over the years. 

I love you guys as I am the one that finds your stuff.  Just the other day I found $100 Cash on the side of the road along with all the trash from McDonald's that they tossed. I have yet to find a gun though 😁

Drove the ladder truck to a fire and back with one of the guys cell phone on the back tail bumper.  No clue how that didn’t fall off! 

My dog prefers to ride in the truck with me rather than in the kennel.   If I lean my shotgun against the door or something the dog knocks it over.  When I try to put the gun in the back seat she bowls me over trying to get to her preferred passenger front seat accomodations.  She can't get to the roof or the hood so that's where the shotgun goes until I put her up...SelbyLowndes

Fly rods. I think 4 of them over the years. Two came out ok, one I never found and one I ran over when I went back to look for it in the dark. 

Also my beloved HP financial calculator. I heard it bounce off the roof and saw it cartwheeling down the road in my rear view. Some scratches but I used that thing for about 20 more years before it died. Now I have an app on my phone that looks and works just like it.  HP 17B II with RPN.

WI Outdoor Nut

I left my tailgate open and drove 25 miles.  Dogs and all back there on a very curvy, rough road.  Lost two dog bowls, and some empty shells.  Nothing else, including dogs in the crates.  When I realized it, my heart stopped beating.

I always put my gun on my drivers side rear tire, and I water the dogs when I get back.  One time I put it on the front tire.  And drove away.  Got it the next day as I realized it a day later when I went to clean the gun.  A 6 hour mistake. 

And don't lean rods against the truck prior to leaving.  This was an expensive mistake. 

2014-4-10 crushed rods.jpg

1 hour ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I left my tailgate open and drove 25 miles.  Dogs and all back there on a very curvy, rough road.  Lost two dog bowls, and some empty shells.  Nothing else, including dogs in the crates.  When I realized it, my heart stopped beating.

I always put my gun on my drivers side rear tire, and I water the dogs when I get back.  One time I put it on the front tire.  And drove away.  Got it the next day as I realized it a day later when I went to clean the gun.  A 6 hour mistake. 

And don't lean rods against the truck prior to leaving.  This was an expensive mistake. 

2014-4-10 crushed rods.jpg

Ouch...!

Not Me but a friend of mine left a dozen boxes of dozen raviolis on his roof of car . Stopped at red light and I dont think I have to tell you the rest !LOL

On a hunt in Virginia we drove 35 miles to a restaurant for dinner.As I went to back in to a tricky parking spot I turned on a back up camera and knew immediately my tailgate was open. Missing was a large tote that had a bunch of my upland gear in it - vest, case of shells,dog vests and electronics ect...

We retraced our route and did not find it. We drove back to the restaurant looking again just in case but no luck.

Figured it was lost for good but we had to eat so we sat down. My wife was very upset thinking our hunt was over.We sat at the table making a mental inventory of what was lost.

My phone rang: "Did you lose a large black tub with hunting stuff inside "a man asked.

We were sooo lucky. The young man went through the contents and got my number off one of the dog collars.

I asked how to meet up to retrieve my stuff. He asked were I was and I told him the restaurant we were at. He said he and wife were going there for dinner too and just wait for him.

He was a very nice guy and refused the reward I wanted to give him.

I had my wife sneak back into the restaurant where she made arrangements with the waitress so we could buy their dinner.

My dad left me in a car seat on the roof. I was unharmed but my mom saw road rash on the seat and I believe he caught hell.

I put my cased 686 on the roof of my old XC70 with the rear hatch open.  I closed the hatch and drove off.  Not far down the road I saw something flutter through the air in my rear view mirror, one car swerved, one did not.  The only damage was a tiny hairline crack in the stock that never got worse.

Zy7l5Aw.jpg

After pheasant hunting one fine autumn day I drove off with my cell phone on the roof of the truck. 15 miles later we got out of the truck in the parking lot of a restaurant for brecky. My pal asked me if I was missing anything and handed me the phone. Have no idea how it stayed on the roof at 55 MPH?

On 10/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, UplandHntr said:

Im just amazed at the amount of guns put on top of vehicles. 

Me too and am guilty (see previous post) so now I have a routine. 

The night I left my gun on top of my then S-10 truck topper I had a young dog and had just shot a grouse. Dog was being a handful loading up wanting to smell the bird and not load in the crate. I sat my gun up top to have two hands free as I was in a hurry to get to one last spot before dark. 

Since then I have attached an ATV style Koplin gun scabbard to the side of my dog box. It is the first thing I do when I drop the tailgate, slide the gun into the case then load the dog and so on....