I am an upland hunter....

As I've gotten older, it seems as though my shooting on wild birds has gotten better. A couple of years shooting trap league and 5 stand certainly didn't hurt, but as I've aged, I've also become less excitable and more focused on my shooting. I used to miss spectacularly on a regular basis, to the point of annoying, I'm sure, my hunting buddies and becoming frustrated, making things worse. Now days, I still miss spectacularly on occasion, but less so and when I do, I'm able to shake it off, refocus and move on. I consider myself a decent shot now and pheasant hunting wild birds on the second day of the opening weekend, I shot my 3 bird limit with 3 shots. Of course, opening day, I had some great misses which I attribute to many of the the excuses  some of you have mentioned earlier!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Steese

• Brad Eden

• ScenicRoute

• Brdhntr47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t be you.  It must be gun fit, LOP, drop at comb, drop at heel, pitch, barrel orientation, single trigger, double trigger or your mount. No one on UJ is a poor shot, it’s always the gun.

And I suck at shooting! 

You are in good company. 

I think I went 0 for 10 shots one day last week in Michigan.  All on Woodcock, in perhaps the thickest cover I'd ever shot in.   Was hunting solo and found out going in on a point and then flushing the bird and shooting at the bird while in the "Jungle" was damn near impossible.   Did shoot better later in the week in cover not quite as thick.   

Dave Erickson

It takes practice. Two summers ago I shot my 16 ga. Iside at clays and followed up with a stellar game shooting season. Last year I mostly shot a Browning BSS at clays and it had a vastly different feel to it along with a lower comb. When I switched back to my Iside right before the season this year I was lost with it. It was disheartening how this gun that I couldn't seem to miss with had turned on me.  I then tethered myself to the sporting clay range and about midway through the third round the magic came back (250 shells). I then shot another three rounds of 100 in the next week just to firm things up. There's no quick fix. It takes a lot of shooting to get in sync with a light SxS.

ccavacini

Well, well, well.  Seems like I'm the only straight shooter in the bunch.  Can't remember when I last missed a shot.  Also, found my wallet in the fridge again.

I hit enough to keep me happy but, it doesn't take much to keep me happy.  What I do find odd is that I tend to pull off the hard shots and miss on the easy ones.  I guess I don't think too much on the hard ones.  Who knows?

9 hours ago, walt lister said:

A 16ga model 12 will fix it😉

I agree, it also works for me, especially on sharptails lol.

Kansas Big Dog
21 hours ago, ScenicRoute said:

And I suck at shooting! 

How long have you been an Upland hunter?

DD Huntress
11 minutes ago, Diver said:

I agree, it also works for me, especially on sharptails lol.

🤐

molliesmaster

Doves are my nemesis.  Some days, I can't miss them and then some days I have to go through a whole box of shells before I even start to develop any notion of rhythm.    In my mind, I want to shoot my 20 gauge at them but the gun is so light that it makes my swing erratic.  My heavier 12 ga is always the better option.   I've never considered shoes as being a part of the problem but I will add that to my list of excuses.., er, reasons that I'm not hitting them. 

DD Huntress

After a summer of target shooting, I have to really focus on LESS LEAD on birds. I usually start the season shooting infront of everything. 😔

Sulliesbrew

I fanned on the easiest left to right crossing rooster this weekend. I am going to blame the 30 hens that jumped all around me and thusly written off the chance at a rooster. Then my next miss I am going to blame on the wind.

Skybuster
7 minutes ago, DD Huntress said:

After a summer of target shooting, I have to really focus on LESS LEAD on birds. I usually start the season shooting infront of everything. 😔

This. Last pheasant season I wiffed on 5 straight before I figured it out... way too much lead on the birds.

A good excuse I used last week was because of poor light and the backdrop! 

dogrunner
2 hours ago, tut said:

I think I went 0 for 10 shots one day last week in Michigan.  All on Woodcock, in perhaps the thickest cover I'd ever shot in.   Was hunting solo and found out going in on a point and then flushing the bird and shooting at the bird while in the "Jungle" was damn near impossible.   Did shoot better later in the week in cover not quite as thick.   

Thick is in September. 

I dont get to hunt often; add the excitement of an out of state hunt see that big ole rooster get up cursing you... Ill get buck eerrr rooster fever crappy gun mount shooting to fast and behind.  Im better now working on anticipation slow my breathing a bit and focus on smooth mount.