I am an upland hunter....

Brad Eden

I understand this is generally tongue in cheek, but are you talking grouse and Woodcock in NH where you live? Are you hunting alone or with others? It matters because those who haven’t hunted the wild birds in the northeast but are super hero’s on other birds elsewhere....well it’s different. Not to say some aren’t crack shots up here. I knew such a guy. I had to stop hunting with him because admittedly he was a bird hog, but it was also humiliating. Which brings me to my second question above. I connect much more often when I am hunting alone than when I am hunting with others, which is rare. I stiffen up when feeling like I’m under scrutiny, or am aware of safety considerations, or conscious of someone off to the sides.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Steese

• Brad Eden

• ScenicRoute

• Brdhntr47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t be you.  It must be gun fit, LOP, drop at comb, drop at heel, pitch, barrel orientation, single trigger, double trigger or your mount. No one on UJ is a poor shot, it’s always the gun.

And I suck at shooting! 

You are in good company. 

Grasshopper,

Upland in New England is a practice in zen lifestyle.

You have to teach yourself to not give a Sh** one way or the other....

If you don't care then it won't matter...

if it does't matter, then if you hit or miss doesn't matter...

if it doesn't matter if you miss, then you will enjoy the hunt..

if it doesn't matter if you hit, then you will enjoy the hunt..

if you enjoy the hunt you will get better...

ooooommmmm....

Your idol and teacher,

Spill

"Who luv's ya baby?"

21 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I understand this is generally tongue in cheek, but are you talking grouse and Woodcock in NH where you live? Are you hunting alone or with others? It matters because those who haven’t hunted the wild birds in the northeast but are super hero’s on other birds elsewhere....well it’s different. Not to say some aren’t crack shots up here. I knew such a guy. I had to stop hunting with him because admittedly he was a bird hog, but it was also humiliating. Which brings me to my second question above. I connect much more often when I am hunting alone than when I am hunting with others, which is rare. I stiffen up when feeling like I’m under scrutiny, or am aware of safety considerations, or conscious of someone off to the sides.

I not that way with wild birds, but put in a shooting clays situation with a bunch of folks I don't know and I'll spit the bit quite often.  

LOL... I am right there with you my friend. I do a lot more a shootin' then I do a killin'!!!

'

ScenicRoute

Ok I should revise.  I don’t suck at shooting.  I suck at hitting.  Either that or the grouse are wearing bullet proof vests this year.  

Hunt woodcock and grouse in northern NH. In a group with others.  No pressure it’s just for fun.  We all razz each other.  No crack shot marksmen but my % is way down.  

Treerooster

What you need then is excuses that pertain more to grouse hunting.

If NH is anything like Wis you can't use the sun. It really doesn't shine and the best you get is a fuzzy ball of light when the clouds thin a bit. But that only lasts for a few minutes. So that's out.

But there are plenty more.

You are supposed to keep your feet at 10 & 2 o'clock when shooting or some such nonsense. Tell that to a guy that only hunts grouse and he won't even understand. On my last shot the left foot was at 7:23 and the right wasn't even on the clock. It was pointed straight up.

Keep you feet firmly planted flat on the ground. Yeah ok. I've been walking for 45 minutes and my feet have come down flat on the ground exactly 11 times. I'm always stepping on a branch (or log), or rock, or stub, or in a hole, or sinking in muck or who knows what.

You shouldn't notice the bead on your gun. Uh huh...sure. How about when I pull my gun up and there is a stick or weed laying across the barrel. We won't even mention clumps of snow on the barrel.

Remember to follow through and don't stop you gun swing. Well the sapling I was pushing with the barrel just wouldn't bend anymore.

Those should hold ya for a day or 2.

I am 0 for 6 on roosters so far this year. At this point I am just out there harassing wildlife. With that said, does anyone know a good shooting instructor in the Minneapolis area!?

walt lister

Many years ago I realized that I was missing too many first shots and hitting with the second shot. Why?? Rushing !!  Made up my mind to take an extra half second or so to get on the bird and after making myself do that my first shot hits did improve. Since I hunt mostly open desert it doesn't have the dense woods like back east so the small hesitation to be sure I'm on target isn't a problem. 

LostInWoods

I came back from a weekend in the grouse woods quite sobered, having been through a box of shells each day with no bird to show.  Thought for sure my dog was going to stop pointing. Twice saw the bird on the ground 15yds away and didn’t shoot so as not to pulverize..only to miss once it took flight.

At home we are doing well on woodcock, though today certainly felt like payback for all my misses.  Beeper was going off for what seemed like 5 min as I crawled(literally) through the rose buses taking thorns all over. Finally got to the dog, bird went up and I connected. Dog brought back what was left after the shot, no meat. I could almost see the smirk on his face.  Karma.

OHhamster

Being in a slump can definitely be frustrating. I know when it happens to me I'll start putting more pressure on my self which usually means more misses. I try my best to just relax and enjoy the experience. 

Brad Eden

It stings less when you get older. There isn’t a lot to be happy about turning 60+, except you can blame painful knees and shoulders, and drone on about how you have lost the blood lust, and are just out there to enjoy the experience....but after a few misses, on relatively doable shots on either grouse or woodcock, they begin to fester and vengeance starts to enter the equation. 

dogrunner
55 minutes ago, walt lister said:

Many years ago I realized that I was missing too many first shots and hitting with the second shot. Why?? Rushing !!  Made up my mind to take an extra half second or so to get on the bird and after making myself do that my first shot hits did improve. Since I hunt mostly open desert it doesn't have the dense woods like back east so the small hesitation to be sure I'm on target isn't a problem. 

Good plan, more hunters need to do it. 

I can only imagine what it's like to grouse /WC hunt up in the New England states as well as most grouse woods. The only ruffed grouse hunting I've done was in western NC I cant imagine it being any more difficult than hunting there.  One hand holding a tree to keep from falling down a extremely steep slope and the other hand on the gun trying to figure out how youre going to kill a grouse with one hand shooting through a jungle of Rhoda dendron.    WC hunting around here is in very thick stuff and makes very challenging shooting.   Right now I'm batting a thousand but I don't start bird hunting until the week before thanksgiving.

uplandnut30

One of the many advantages of shooting sub 12ga, not only do you have an excuse for missing...but...you can look down on others when you do hit something.

walt lister

Speaking of excuses. I vaguely remember a humorous article in an old outdoor mag (by Ed Zern maybe) that told of a terse group of grouse hunting Mainers that decided that explaining away their misses was too time consuming so they numbered each miss excuse. You would hear "BANG---seven" or "BANG---three" etc. Saved time and vocal energy.