I am an upland hunter....

I too started out hunting grouse with out a dog. It is a great way to learn about the birds, where they like to be and when they like to be there. Keep at it you will get better at both finding them and shooting. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Steese

• Brad Eden

• ScenicRoute

• Brdhntr47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t be you.  It must be gun fit, LOP, drop at comb, drop at heel, pitch, barrel orientation, single trigger, double trigger or your mount. No one on UJ is a poor shot, it’s always the gun.

And I suck at shooting! 

You are in good company. 

I can't remember where I heard it, but the philosophy I've adopted is pulling the trigger is the cheapest part of upland hunting.  After the dog, gear, upland rig, divorce lawyer and appropriate shotgun so you can join Upland Journal what's a couple of $$ to pull the trigger and let it fly (safely of course).  It makes the misses much easier to tolerate.

• 1 month later...

As an update.  Had my chokes opened up from extra full to improved cylinder.   Haven’t missed since.  I’m sure I’ll jinx myself but have yet to pull the second trigger since the gunsmith worked his magic.  

On 10/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, ScenicRoute said:

And I suck at shooting! 

Just buy a new gun, that’s what I do.  Its not your fault, it HAS to be the gun.  I have several dozen and still can’t hit anything!

This island isnt so lonely after all... My pup has put up grouse and woodcock every trip and I have yet to hit one.  I can't imagine what she would say if she could only talk lol. 

I once was slumping so bad I tried SpredR Loads in a modern shotgun chocked Cylinder.