Wading Pants

On another thread, I noticed J Husker was wearing wading pants, rather than chest waders. I have reached the stage of life where it is time to limit my wading activities to below the crotch or thereabouts. I am considering a pair of wading pants. Do the fellow UJ'ers have any feedback? Do it, don't do it, brands etc.

If you're not going to wade deep, or be in a place where there's a risk of going in over your waist do to a misstep (you'd have to go out of your way, close your eyes and wade blind to do go in past your hips in some of our trout streams here), they are great.

Orders of magnitude more comfortable, I think.

I like Simms.

I had a pair.  Excellent for clear tailwaters in the summer months. Wouldn't use them where I couldn't see where I was going. 

I own a pair of L.L. Bean waist highs, stocking foot. Have not had any leaks...yet. Worn for local trout streams year round, enough room under to wear wader liners for winter steelhead  & brown fishing.

I used the cabelas own branded ones and they are perfect. As convenient as hip boots except you can sit down on a wet rock and not get a wet butt. Mine are stocking foot because I have good wading boots already. Only downside I haven’t worked out yet is that shirts and jackets stop at the waist. I need a 2xlong shirt to tuck in so it can’t creep up. 

rick

3 hours ago, casts_by_fly said:

I used the cabelas own branded ones and they are perfect. As convenient as hip boots except you can sit down on a wet rock and not get a wet butt. Mine are stocking foot because I have good wading boots already. Only downside I haven’t worked out yet is that shirts and jackets stop at the waist. I need a 2xlong shirt to tuck in so it can’t creep up. 

rick

Which Cabela's waders did you get...I made the pleasant discovery today that my waders were leaking...NW WI rivers are not warm in mid-October...

21 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

Which Cabela's waders did you get...I made the pleasant discovery today that my waders were leaking...NW WI rivers are not warm in mid-October...

these:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-premium-breathable-stocking-foot-pant-waders-for-men

Good value for what they are and perfect for me. 

rick

On 10/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, casts_by_fly said:

these:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-premium-breathable-stocking-foot-pant-waders-for-men

Good value for what they are and perfect for me. 

rick

I use the same one's, not Rick's of course!

I can get about 3 years out of them and after that they seem to develop leaks around junction of wader and boot

The pants you speak of that I am wearing are in their 7th season now. I was just telling my son the other day how they are still dry and somehow I haven't destroyed them getting into those places that most people don't go on the stream. Mine are the Redingtons:

https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-waders/escape-pant

Love these, will replace them with the exact same ones (if they are available) when I eventually destroy them.

I use the Simms and love them.  A bunch easier to handle then the chest highs.  They are stocking foot and of course carry the Simms guarantee. 

I had a pair of Cabelas waist highs that I loved.  Used extensively for pond duck hunting, launching boats, and fishing.  Big difference in heat retention and overall comfort in warm days.  They just gave up the ghost last month at about 6 years old.  

I wore these for everything but duck hunting out of a boat because those stump hole can give you some surprises and I needed some extra clearance in the cold dark decoy setting hours.

I will acquire another set of waist highs after this duck season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Bloodhound

I have Cabela's chest waders, but the only time I get into water deeper than my thigh is when I am lake fishing for Arctic Grayling.  So I have been shopping for some wading pants...I will stick with the Cabela's because I am so happy with my chest waders.

Good luck with your shopping

• 2 weeks later...
Chief Paduke

I found Simms Freestone for $249.95 less another $25.00 coupon plus I got $32.00 in store credit at Reelflyrod.com. I guess it’s a good deal if I like them and they fit. 

Upland_Hunter

I am looking for new pair of wading pants also and have been looking at the Frogg Toggs Pilot II Guide Pant at $179.00. Does anybody have any experience with these Frogg Toggs wading pants? Are they durable? I had a pair of the Cabela's wading pants and got exactly 1 years use out of them. The heel of both stocking foot got holes in them just after only on years use. 

I was also looking at the Reddington wading pants. Anyone have experience with these?