Help with new tires for the Ranger

My Ranger came OEM with 265/65 - 17 Hankook Dynapro ATM tires (4 ply).  They have worked fine for me around here, where 90% of the driving I do is just regular on-road driving.  They worked well in snow (we live up on a mountain and must sometimes drive through snow to get to and from home) and mud.  They had good traction in dry and wet and weren't noisy.  Gas mileage with them was very good.  They worked fine for everything I normally do with the truck - towing the boat, hauling, the relatively mild off-roading I do for hunting around here, etc.  They even worked fine in some very rough conditions during our 2019 Montana trip.

They failed miserably in rough duty during our 2020 Montana trip - repeatedly going flat from being cut though by sharp rocks.  Plus, I noticed that there was a decent amount of tread wear on them - they were only driven about 25K miles and towed behind the MH for maybe another 10k miles.

9-25-20 - Another flat tire

9-18-20 - Fun on the road

This year, we drove about 2,500 miles on "roads" like this and two tracks, etc.  It was dry, so gumbo wasn't a factor this year, but it sure can be at times.  FWIW, I do NOT do off-road for fun, nor do I enjoy off-roading.  I only do it to get where I want to go; and or to get out of a place I probably shouldn't have gone into in the first place.

10-5-20 - An interesting road

So..… I want to put new tires on the truck.  Price isn't an issue - I'm willing pay for what works best, rather than have a repeat of this year's tire problems.

BUT, I need a set of tires that I can live with happily on a daily basis at home as well - not some single-purpose knobby tires that are loud, slippery in wet and dry; and only good for real off-road situations (been there, done that on a Jeep years ago - huge mistake).  I'd like to stick to the factory size, if possible, for a variety of reasons.  It looks like BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tires would fit my truck. 

Any thoughts on those tires or better suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• Flush

• KCrowley

• salmontogue

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To close the loop, after doing some hydroplaning in the rain the other day, plus with winter on the way, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the new tires now even though the old ones might have last

I have the feature showing me the PSI in all four tires on the new to me Tacoma. It’s a cool deal, but you can become neurotic about checking it all the time...almost as obsessive as checking your MPG

Read this article as well.     https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/how-to-build-the-ultimate-hunting-truck/   He chose your truck by the way    the part about tires

Posted Images

If you have a FordPass Rewards account - they have a good deal on tires right now.  I think it's $70 back or $150 back in Rewards when you buy 4 from certain brands.  I just put the Yokohama Geolander AT/G015 on my truck.  I can't really comment on them yet other than they seem to ride well and very little road noise.  You can use the rewards $ for service.

BF Goodrich Ko2.  I've had them for a couple years.  Got me out of a pinch in Montana this year on a gumbo road after a day long rain/  Grinded my way about 15 miles pedal to metal slinging clods of the clay out to the hard top.  Wear nice, a little loud but to be expected.  Great on ice and snow.  

The BFG Ko2 is a great tire.  Most timber companies in this area use the Km3 which is incredible off the pavement but noisier than the Ko2 on pavement.

While on this subject....please consider getting an aluminum floor jack which adds another layer of safety during tire changes.  It is very capable, safe and extremely stable.

Perk

Get a set of chocks for the tire also they are inexpensive and can help keep the truck from rolling on you

4 hours ago, Locher said:

If you have a FordPass Rewards account - they have a good deal on tires right now.  I think it's $70 back or $150 back in Rewards when you buy 4 from certain brands.  I just put the Yokohama Geolander AT/G015 on my truck.  I can't really comment on them yet other than they seem to ride well and very little road noise.  You can use the rewards $ for service.

second the suggestion to check out the Geolander AT GO15. I cant comment yet on off roading (but perhaps can by Monday), but they are quiet, no drop in MPG from highway tires, great ride. Very well regarded tire. 

I've had the Geolanders on my last truck and my sons 4 runner. I liked them so I just put four on my new truck as hunting tires. I'm in Montana in September, U.P. October, Kansas around Thanksgiving and then back the KS and New Mexico after Christmas all for hunting.  The Geolanders might not be for you but buy the best tires you can and keep the old tires is my suggestion and just put the old tires back on for the summer.  No need to wear out the good tires going for groceries.  I rotate summer tires for hunting tires and then put snow tires on after January. Get more miles out of your tires that way.

Side note, the kid who put my Geolanders on pumped them up to 56 psi.  Truck rode like I had wooden wheels til I figured to look at my tire pressure gauge.  

The key is you will want an LT tire with E load rating for the higher number of plies. 

As I suspect you learned in MT everyone in that part of the country will tell you that you need "10 ply tires" (generally E loads are 10 ply)

The TA KO's are good tires, and if they are available in your size you can't go too far wrong with them for the use you describe.

They likely won't ride quite as nice as your factory tires and they may be a little louder, but they aren't bad and there is no free lunch.

They are just an all-terrain tire, not an overly aggressive off-road orientated tire.

Another quite similar tire that gets better ratings than the TA's is the General Grabber ATX. 

Those two tires are quite similar in design and I have owned both and I agree with the ratings, and I prefer the Generals. 

The main difference I noticed was I felt the General's performed better in slippery wet or hard-packed ice/snow on-road conditions. 

A number of folks will say the TA's perform great in snow, but they are usually talking about deep snow, going slow crawling through in more of an off-road situation.

My experience is the General's are better in the on-road higher-speed snow/ice situations (but sill good in the deep snow off-road situation too).

As a bonus the General's cost less, but my belief is the General is a better tire regardless of cost. 

Not sure what your size is though and if the General's are available in that size.

Mike da Carpenter

Had the Geolander tires and really liked them.  Not a bad thing to say about them, but I needed a more aggressive tread for my weekend employer, so I went with the BFG KO2 tires.  Couldn’t be happier.  I have heard you will lose MPG going with these tires.  I have not lost any MPG.  Still get 14.5 to 15 MPG.  They are extremely quiet.  Only difference I have noticed is that I have them aired up to 44# (per BFG customer service recommendation for my truck/tire combo) and they do ride stiffer and you notice the “road” more.  Has gotten better since I added them on a bout a month ago.  Change is hard to accept, but with time, most things are forgotten.

Read this article as well.  

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/how-to-build-the-ultimate-hunting-truck/

He chose your truck by the way 

the part about tires

I’m going to suggest that the vast majority of you look for a quality all-terrain, rather than mud-terrain tire. The former is going to work as well on the road, in rain or snow, as it will off-road. Fortunately, there’s a new generation of extremely capable A/T tires that’s taking dirt traction further than ever before without sacrificing road manners. And that’s best embodied by both the Toyo Open Country ATIII, and the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Just figure out what tire size you want to run, and buy whichever of those models is lightest in that size.

The relative weight of a tire is important because that weight moves up and down over every bump, and more inertia in those movements can dramatically worsen ride quality. More weight also adds inertia that must be overcome in order to accelerate or decelerate a spinning tire, impairing both braking and acceleration. You’ll find weights for each individual size and load rating a tire can be found on the manufacturer’s website.

Whatever tire you end up with, or are stuck with for right now, you’re going to need to alter its pressures. At higher speeds on-road, high pressures help keep a tire safely seated on the wheel, and prevent it from overheating. Off-road, decreasing the pressure helps absorb bumps, improving ride quality, and lengthens the tire’s footprint, dramatically increasing traction. With potentially larger A/T tires, you’re likely going to end up running something around 40 pounds per square inch on pavement. 

I have had two, sets of BFG KO2’s. They were ok, noisy, not great on wet roads, tire wear just ok.

Have a set of Falken Wildpeak E rated. Very quiet on macadam, aggressive in gnarly situations.

I think the sidewalls are better protected than other tires. Two seasons in Montana and Maine so far so good.

Would buy them again.

I've had the General Grabber AT2's on my Sequoia for a few years. Good tires. I did pinch a sidewall parallel parking and trashed a tire. There was a pothole that I sunk into and I rode partly onto the curb first. My fault. I also had one go bad after a flat on gravel that I had to drive a few hundred yards at decreasing psi. That is really my fault too but I was surprised at getting a flat.  I was not able to determine what the puncture was from but it was a big enough hole that a plug wasn't an option. Happy with the tread wear and traction....oh, and the price. 

Heres a recent Topic on tires. I’ve had a lot of brands and never liked Hancook, but will always put General Grabbers on my trucks. 

10 hours ago, grouse28 said:

I have had two, sets of BFG KO2’s. They were ok, noisy, not great on wet roads, tire wear just ok.

Have a set of Falken Wildpeak E rated. Very quiet on macadam, aggressive in gnarly situations.

I think the sidewalls are better protected than other tires. Two seasons in Montana and Maine so far so good.

Would buy them again.

I have heard good things about wild peaks. Like crazy mileage out of them. I am running Firestone Destination AT's on my truck and am very pleased with them after the first couple years of use but I don't need a E rated tire either. 

Might want to go to Tirerack.com and just take a look at all the tires that will fit your truck and read reviews on the ones that catch your eye.  Mine were shipped free and I got a $70 rebate that almost covered the cost of mounting.