Need a tracking collar

I posted this on here before and it was suggested I get a Garmin 550 Plus. Got one and it doesn't work so it's going back. Can't calibrate it to point north and called Garmin and they said I need a computer to update it. It's a brand new unit! I ain't got a computer where I am at and wouldn't have internet if I did. Had it on the dog around the cabin and sometimes it pointed to the right of where he was, sometimes straight away from him. He went in the woods by my cabin and I had no idea where he was. The 550 Plus seems to be a training collar that tracks. I need a tracking collar, if it can provide correction that would be a plus, but not necessary. The manual hardly even discussed how to use the tracking features. When I made him stand still there was a slight vibration on the handheld to signify he was on point. Not gonna work for me, probably wouldn't even feel that and I can't walk through the woods looking at a screen all the time. 

Here is my situation. I have a dog that is hard of hearing. He was born that way and is 3 now. He follows commands well but just has a hard time locating (especially my voice, hears a whistle better) me at times and I don't want to lose him. Being able to locate him on point would be nice too as my hearing is going downhill and I have a hard time locating the beeper collar sometimes.

I am not technically advanced, I am an old guy. I can run the basic features on a GPS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, Treerooster said:

I posted this on here before and it was suggested I get a Garmin 550 Plus. Got one and it doesn't work so it's going back. Can't calibrate it to point north and called Garmin and they said I need a computer to update it. It's a brand new unit! I ain't got a computer where I am at and wouldn't have internet if I did. Had it on the dog around the cabin and sometimes it pointed to the right of where he was, sometimes straight away from him. He went in the woods by my cabin and I had no idea where he was. The 550 Plus seems to be a training collar that tracks. I need a tracking collar, if it can provide correction that would be a plus, but not necessary. The manual hardly even discussed how to use the tracking features. When I made him stand still there was a slight vibration on the handheld to signify he was on point. Not gonna work for me, probably wouldn't even feel that and I can't walk through the woods looking at a screen all the time. 

Here is my situation. I have a dog that is hard of hearing. He was born that way and is 3 now. He follows commands well but just has a hard time locating (especially my voice, hears a whistle better) me at times and I don't want to lose him. Being able to locate him on point would be nice too as my hearing is going downhill and I have a hard time locating the beeper collar sometimes.

I am not technically advanced, I am an old guy. I can run the basic features on a GPS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

The alpha, either 100 or the new one would be a fit, though no good reason I can think of that the 550 would not have worked. My alpha worked out of the box for a year but started having the same issue you mentioned this fall and I had to plug it in and do an update to get it right. If you dont need training an astro is also an option. 

I added a watch to my set up this year, not one of the expensive fenix ones, just got the viveoactive and have not touched my alpha since I got it. Its on the vest if needed but the watch gives me direction and distance which is all I want most of the time. 

I am betting there are some deals on alpha 100s with the new one just launched. 

I guess that would be a question I have. 

How do you hunt with one of these things without having to check the screen all the time to see if your dog is on point. How does it notify you? I can't hear a bell and would like to hunt without the beeper if possible.

Link the unit to a Instinct or Fenix watch and you dont have to look at the screen they watch will vibrate when the dogs goes on point and it gives you a direction

1 hour ago, Speaks said:

I added a watch to my set up this year, not one of the expensive fenix ones, just got the viveoactive and have not touched my alpha since I got it.

Which one?

I have my Garmin Astro 430 set to vibrate and make a noise when the dog is on point.  I have a Fenix 5 watch so when I hear the noise, I look at my watch and it shows me a direction and distance to the dog.  I never pull the Astro out anymore, just leave it in the holster.

49 minutes ago, airmedic1 said:

I have my Garmin Astro 430 set to vibrate and make a noise when the dog is on point.  I have a Fenix 5 watch so when I hear the noise, I look at my watch and it shows me a direction and distance to the dog.  I never pull the Astro out anymore, just leave it in the holster.

How loud is the noise? High pitch or low? How long does it vibrate/make noise. I've had my phone in my back pocket vibrating when I get a call and never felt it.

The 550 plus vibrated for about 1 second and that was it. No noise at all. I really don't see how I would even notice that. I come out of the cover with bruises and scratches I never know how I got. I just couldn't depend on feeling something vibrate for a second or two.

Man I thought the $700 for the unit was pricey. Now I need a watch for another $200 or $300?

Don't they make a tracking collar that will let you know, in no uncertain terms, that your dog is on point? The 550 plus was like a barely audible whisper.

Another thing I don't like about a watch, although I can see an advantage, is it is another gizmo to fail or break or get lost. I just got a brand new gizmo that won't work  because it needs an update. Ok I can get that updated, in 3 WEEKS, and now I have my watch. All set to go hunting...but no wait the watch needs an update now. I am laughing at this, not grumbling.

There’s nothing more simple, reliable and useful than the 550 plus

You just need to get accustomed to using it

I don't know if this is the issue, but the pointing accuracy of the things increases with distance.  Within 30 yards or so the accuracy of the arrow falls off considerably.

have the 550 plus and like it.  agree on the comment re better when further out.  

also agree the vibrate on the handheld is all but useless.  would like the collar to have beeping options BUT i'm not sure how that would work with the tone function which i currently use for recall.  tried a bell on my dog and he absolutely hated it.  

I bought the Alpha 100 and later bought the Garmin Instinct watch.  When linked together my watch not only shows how far and if my dog is on point but also vibrates when my dog is on point. I spent more money on those two items than I have on most of my firearms.  BUT. Hunting in wolf infested areas and hearing stories about lost dogs not being recovered I bit the bullet and laid out the cash.  Now that I have these I think it was money well spent considering the money we have tied up in our dogs and wanting to keep them safe.

Virgil