Need a tracking collar

25 minutes ago, Jacksdad said:

have the 550 plus and like it.  agree on the comment re better when further out.  

also agree the vibrate on the handheld is all but useless.  would like the collar to have beeping options BUT i'm not sure how that would work with the tone function which i currently use for recall.  tried a bell on my dog and he absolutely hated it.  

So how do you know when your dog is on point? Do you just keep looking at the handheld? If that is the case that would mean keeping it very handy...which means it is going to be exposed to the cover...which would beat the heck out of it.

Simple is great but functional is better. I can muddle through a tech device...eventually. This unit is simply not functional the way I hunt. Forget that it isn't accurate right now, say I get it working. Great now I have to check the screen constantly to see if my dog is on point or not?? That would ruin the hunt for me.

I like the fact that it (or any tracking collar) can tell me where my dog is at anytime, but if a T collar can't inform when a dog is on point it's function is reduced to emergency situations for the most part. Would have to run a beeper with the T collar or buy a watch it seems like.

Do these T collar watches also tell time? Or do ya need another watch for that. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Treerooster said:

Do these T collar watches also tell time? Or do ya need another watch for that. 🙂

Mine is currently making my coffee and computing estimated taxes.

Not to be mean, but your dog is hard of hearing, you're hard of hearing, so unfortunately that doesn't leave you with many options. Back in the day, you would be S.O.L. I hate how expensive some of this stuff is becoming, but there are some times when they really pull their weight. If you could hear a bell, that saves you a lot of aggravation. I use a bell on my dog in thick cover, and when I can't hear it, I check the garmin to see what's up. With the watch, it becomes a quick cursory glance if you can't hear the bell.

1 hour ago, Treerooster said:

So how do you know when your dog is on point? Do you just keep looking at the handheld? If that is the case that would mean keeping it very handy...which means it is going to be exposed to the cover...which would beat the heck out of it.

Well for right now i have to see him pointing.  Works fine for the light cover we'll be working this year i think.  I despise garmin interfaces and have thus far resisted buying a damn $300 watch that i'll never use for anything else.  Have a holster for the handheld which i like but it most definitely eliminates any benefit from the point/vibrate function.  Why they can't make it beep too is a mystery to me.  

56 minutes ago, snood said:

Not to be mean, but your dog is hard of hearing, you're hard of hearing, so unfortunately that doesn't leave you with many options. Back in the day, you would be S.O.L. I hate how expensive some of this stuff is becoming, but there are some times when they really pull their weight. If you could hear a bell, that saves you a lot of aggravation. I use a bell on my dog in thick cover, and when I can't hear it, I check the garmin to see what's up. With the watch, it becomes a quick cursory glance if you can't hear the bell.

Nothing wrong with being truthful. I know I am handicapped.

But there are other options, at least for my hearing loss. Lovett makes a low tone beeper and a two-tone beeper. Of which I own both. Those I can locate better than a single high tone with my ears. Problem is they are both down. I knew the two-tone was down before the season but the low tone is out now too. I have backup beepers tho, 2 Lovett single tone  beepers, old ones I bought off this site just in case.  I discovered this season that I am having a harder time locating those single tones as I have not used one in several years. But I can muddle through by turning my hearing aids up and walking towards it and tuning in to whether it gets louder or not. Just isn't very efficient.

So I went the T collar route only to find out they really don't make one for bird hunters. Need a watch for that. And I may need to just bite the bullet on the cost and get a watch. Just wasn't prepared for that and as far as grouse hunting this season...too late now.

14 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

Which one?

11 hours ago, Treerooster said:

Man I thought the $700 for the unit was pricey. Now I need a watch for another $200 or $300?

Don't they make a tracking collar that will let you know, in no uncertain terms, that your dog is on point? The 550 plus was like a barely audible whisper.

Another thing I don't like about a watch, although I can see an advantage, is it is another gizmo to fail or break or get lost. I just got a brand new gizmo that won't work  because it needs an update. Ok I can get that updated, in 3 WEEKS, and now I have my watch. All set to go hunting...but no wait the watch needs an update now. I am laughing at this, not grumbling.

You dont need an expensive fenix watch. I bought a garmin viveoactive for under $100. Its smaller and lighter than the fancy ones and works great with at least 2 of the dog tracking apps you can get from garmin. I hear the instinct works well but is big and bulky and would never fit in when wearing business attire, I wear my garmin watch every day not just when hunting. You will need to download the app, I dont recall the watch ever needed an update though you will have to hook it to the computer one time to get the app. 

Nice thing on the watch is it vibrates when the dog is on point which is far more noticeable to me than the handheld is. I have two apps for the watch, one is a map the other is the compass which just shows direction and distance, that is the one I use. 

2 hours ago, bobman said:

There’s nothing more simple, reliable and useful than the 550 plus

You just need to get accustomed to using it

I do feel that I would like this better than my alpha, never use the map view anyway. If I didnt already have the alpha this with the viveoactive is what I would buy today. 

6 minutes ago, Speaks said:

You dont need an expensive fenix watch. I bought a garmin viveoactive for under $100. Its smaller and lighter than the fancy ones and works great with at least 2 of the dog tracking apps you can get from garmin. I hear the instinct works well but is big and bulky and would never fit in when wearing business attire, I wear my garmin watch every day not just when hunting. You will need to download the app, I dont recall the watch ever needed an update though you will have to hook it to the computer one time to get the app. 

Nice thing on the watch is it vibrates when the dog is on point which is far more noticeable to me than the handheld is. I have two apps for the watch, one is a map the other is the compass which just shows direction and distance, that is the one I use. 

I do feel that I would like this better than my alpha, never use the map view anyway. If I didnt already have the alpha this with the viveoactive is what I would buy today. 

This is a good option, even less expensive.

shoot-straight

i have a 550+ and just bought the instinct watch. X2 on it being bulky, theres a cheaper, smaller one? damn. would have got that in a heartbeat. gundog supply has the instinct for 220$ BTW.

2 hours ago, shoot-straight said:

i have a 550+ and just bought the instinct watch. X2 on it being bulky, theres a cheaper, smaller one? damn. would have got that in a heartbeat. gundog supply has the instinct for 220$ BTW.

This is the one I bought, it was something like $89 at Target when I bought it, its $150 now, must have been a sale. Quick google and I saw a refurb as low as $89. Works great with the alpha and is one of the smallest smart watches which I like. There may be others out now that are better, I bought mine about a year ago, very happy with it. I like it way better than the instinct or fenix 4 my buddies have. 

mister grouse

Guy who did a lot of the tech design work on collars etc  told me that the GPS available for the collars can not be more specific at close ranges for military secrecy reasons.  Im just telling you what he said.  

The new technology is helpful, but it is not magic.  If you can't hear anything, can't feel anything, and don't want to spend much money, you've got few-to-no options left.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:33 PM, Treerooster said:

How loud is the noise? High pitch or low? How long does it vibrate/make noise. I've had my phone in my back pocket vibrating when I get a call and never felt it.

The 550 plus vibrated for about 1 second and that was it. No noise at all. I really don't see how I would even notice that. I come out of the cover with bruises and scratches I never know how I got. I just couldn't depend on feeling something vibrate for a second or two.

It’s kind of a buzzing/chirping sound, hard for me to explain.  I carry it in a molle pouch on my vest strap and can hear it most of the time unless it’s super windy.  I feel the chirp and vibration of my Fenix five and never pull the Astro out of the pouch.  I’m not sure I would hear it if in stuck m

The thing about a GPS tracking is you never really need one until you really need it.  But by then it usually to late.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 12:50 PM, Speaks said:

This is the one I bought, it was something like $89 at Target when I bought it, its $150 now, must have been a sale. Quick google and I saw a refurb as low as $89. Works great with the alpha and is one of the smallest smart watches which I like. There may be others out now that are better, I bought mine about a year ago, very happy with it. I like it way better than the instinct or fenix 4 my buddies have. 

$99 on Walmart-thanks for your post, its got me looking and thinking and plotting how to spend the wifes money...