Pheasant Hunting - More Food than Pheasants

3 hours ago, Skybuster said:

WOW! You're really living the good life. I'd like to know your thoughts on pheasants making a comeback. SD can't all be plowed under. Nice lookiing Lab in the photo with roast. 

The Lab lurking in the background is my dog, Flynt.  He was just waiting for an opportunity, LOL.

Pheasant Comeback - It will take habitat restoral which will take a major collapse of the farm economy and the reduction of acres in production under a program like CRP or the Soil Bank of the '50s.  I thought that the Chinese Trade War was going to trigger some kind of support plan like that but instead we just made cash payments to farmers.  Maybe in the next Farm Bill, one could idle a lot of grasslands for $30 Billion.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tilkut

• bigjohnsd

• Peent

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2020 marks my 26th year of Pheasant Hunting in South Dakota.  The first 16 years were pretty darn good, then came the drastic conversion of marginal lands into ethanol-driven corn production, loss of

I gained three pounds just looking at the photos!! I'd kill to keep others away from that paella!!

First everyone's gotta understand this is US National politics at play here. You have to get a bill originated in the House, passed in the Senate, and signed by the President. As we all know the US Ho

Posted Images

Damn. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and beer is about as good as we get it. Maybe a big night is pizza.

Scallops, steamed clams in SD? Almost disqualifying as a pheasant hunt.

No jealousy in this post. Nope. None whatsoever.

20 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

The Lab lurking in the background is my dog, Flynt.  He was just waiting for an opportunity, LOL.

Pheasant Comeback - It will take habitat restoral which will take a major collapse of the farm economy and the reduction of acres in production under a program like CRP or the Soil Bank of the '50s.  I thought that the Chinese Trade War was going to trigger some kind of support plan like that but instead we just made cash payments to farmers.  Maybe in the next Farm Bill, one could idle a lot of grasslands for $30 Billion.

Big John, we saw the pheasant crash down in Iowa sooner than you did in SD.  The changes in the 96 Farm Bill put Iowa farmers at a disadvantage.  We lost a lot of "full field" CRP as a result.  Then, mid- 2000's, we had a series of snowy winters followed by cold, wet springs.  We tumbled to just over 100,000 birds in 2011.  (And I thought things were bad in 1984, just prior to CRP, when we didn't kill 3/4 of a million.) We've recovered somewhat from that, but nothing like the mid to late 80's and 90's.  I also thought that pushing the farmers to retire more ground into the CRP would have been far better long range policy than handing them cash to compensate for the hit they took as a result of the trade war with China.  But you and I don't get to make policy.

8 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Big John, we saw the pheasant crash down in Iowa sooner than you did in SD.  The changes in the 96 Farm Bill put Iowa farmers at a disadvantage.  We lost a lot of "full field" CRP as a result.  Then, mid- 2000's, we had a series of snowy winters followed by cold, wet springs.  We tumbled to just over 100,000 birds in 2011.  (And I thought things were bad in 1984, just prior to CRP, when we didn't kill 3/4 of a million.) We've recovered somewhat from that, but nothing like the mid to late 80's and 90's.  I also thought that pushing the farmers to retire more ground into the CRP would have been far better long range policy than handing them cash to compensate for the hit they took as a result of the trade war with China.  But you and I don't get to make policy.

I agree. We saw a slight increase in bird numbers with the new pollinator programs that offered a slightly higher remuneration than previous 10 year CRP programs. However, with the drought situation affecting the Midwest, farmers were permitted to bale land enrolled in a programs. Less habitat, less bird numbers. 

BigJohn,

All I can say after seeing your tables - you all ate well, anyway!  Impressive spreads.

Brittman

Wow, them are some serious eats right there. You fellas can cook! Glad you're still enjoying the trips, despite the bird numbers.

On 10/31/2020 at 8:01 PM, bigjohnsd said:

2020 marks my 26th year of Pheasant Hunting in South Dakota.  The first 16 years were pretty darn good, then came the drastic conversion of marginal lands into ethanol-driven corn production, loss of habitat, and a crash in the Pheasant population.

I still go "Hunting" but it is more for the camaraderie with old friends than it is about killing Pheasants. Truthfully, if I didn't still have a dog I'd likely not go for more than a brief visit to see "the boys".  

20201011_122002-L.jpg
I've been watching this old Country School deteriorate for 25 years.  The old boy that owned it died and his family doesn't have the attachment to it that he did - this picture seemed quiet and fitting for 2020.

20201023_170547-L.jpg
I really enjoy the vastness of the prairie.

This year it was quite cold and we had a foot of snow, neither of these things encouraged me to get out and hunt as I would have 20 years ago. I did hunt for 10 of the 14 days and didn't average a bird per day, back in the heydays it was three birds (a limit) every day and usually in less than three hours.  One buddy and I did get manage to each shoot our limits one day. 

Looks like we travel the same circles.

645D00F6-0841-409C-B6A0-EF8986BE397D.jpeg

501CDBC3-53DD-4777-BBFC-FE04D05B5F88.jpeg

On 11/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, bigjohnsd said:

Please. No more CRP. Just use the money to permanently retire erodible and questionable land. Permanently. And manage it in perpetuity for wildlife. Nothing else has worked. Nothing else will work. And it will bump crop prices too. 

I agree that it would increase crop prices by reducing supply.  However, I'm not sure that retiring land permanently will work.  It works when the states are able to buy land and manage it.  But that is an extremely expensive proposition.  Way too expensive to impact anything like the 35 million acres or so that were enrolled in CRP at its peak.

17 hours ago, Tilkut said:

Please. No more CRP. Just use the money to permanently retire erodible and questionable land. Permanently. And manage it in perpetuity for wildlife. Nothing else has worked. Nothing else will work. And it will bump crop prices too. 

Who manages? Who does the work? Who pays for the ongoing work required - Noxious Weed abatement etc? Your local Pheasants Forever or Ducks Unlimited Chapter don't have those resources and as most of this land is in Mid-America the likelihood of states taking on additional burden is unlikely, especially if additional tax revenues will be required, and they will.   

4 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

Who manages? Who does the work? Who pays for the ongoing work required - Noxious Weed abatement etc? Your local Pheasants Forever or Ducks Unlimited Chapter don't have those resources and as most of this land is in Mid-America the likelihood of states taking on additional burden is unlikely, especially if additional tax revenues will be required, and they will.   

John,

Did the math a while back on money spent in Iowa over the last 25 years or so. In the Billions. If we would have spent half that purchasing land, and half on paying to manage it, we’d be way ahead. Most of those billions were spent, only to see the ground go right back into production. Current wildlife benefit of Zero. If we care about wildlife, species, bees, etc.... we need to do something different. And permanent. 

FYI, just looked at the spreadsheet. If my math is correct, spending on CRP in Iowa alone since 1987. 
$ 6,565,000,000. Half buying land, half managing it, we’d be a thousand percent better off now. FYI, 2019 alone it was 

$ 392,276,890. Even only using  half to purchase, even at $10,000 an acre, you’d have enough for 39,000 acres. What we do is foolish. Sorry.