There's hope!

My travails at filling my buck tag are well documented here.  Last year was the best season I had in a long time--passing on several spikes and having my nephew score a nice 8 point.  To keep an eye on things, this summer I set up a couple trail cameras on the vernal pool behind the house about 100 yards from where my usual spot is.  There have been lots of does, but when I checked yesterday it appears while I was in Vermont, the bucks started showing up.  There are several spikes and a few nice bucks working the area. 

STC_0053-XL.jpg

STC_0117-XL.jpg

WGI_0103-XL.jpg

WGI_0112-XL.jpg

STC_0141-XL.jpg

STC_0160-XL.jpg

WGI_0127-XL.jpg

I sent the pics to my nephew and told him to set up a stand for the rest of archery season.  Shogun starts November 30!  Now that I think of it----today seems like a good day to sight in the slug gun and muzzle loader!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• tclprin

• drummer's stump

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can happen quick, I was in the stand just a few minutes maybe 3 or 4 and I saw a doe come out that was acting squirrely. Then I saw a small buck come out, then saw a glint of antler coming through

My travails at filling my buck tag are well documented here.  Last year was the best season I had in a long time--passing on several spikes and having my nephew score a nice 8 point.  To keep an eye o

I think I know why the deer are winding you....

Posted Images

We are going to have a bad season here in the Mid Hudson Valley in NY. We got hit with EHD pretty bad.  A stretch along the Metro North RR tracks ( approx.3-5 miles) they found between 50-70 dead deer. My brother has found 2-3 dead deer during his work as a surveyor. Only deer I’m seeing right now are in my backyard and I’m not above taking one of them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Checked the cameras again today--all bucks on them.  seems like there was a lot of rutting activity the last few weeks. some nice ones--I hope they stick around. 10 days until shotgun season.

STC_0008-X4.jpg

STC_0011-X4.jpg

STC_0037-L.jpg

WGI_0102-L.jpg

On 11/5/2020 at 9:35 AM, paul frey said:

We are going to have a bad season here in the Mid Hudson Valley in NY. We got hit with EHD pretty bad.  A stretch along the Metro North RR tracks ( approx.3-5 miles) they found between 50-70 dead deer. My brother has found 2-3 dead deer during his work as a surveyor. Only deer I’m seeing right now are in my backyard and I’m not above taking one of them. 

My neighbor's boyfriend has a farm in Goshen, NY. He found 14 dead by his creek a month or so back. Crazy.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:36 PM, E.Young said:

My neighbor's boyfriend has a farm in Goshen, NY. He found 14 dead by his creek a month or so back. Crazy.

I wouldn’t have believed It unless I saw it for myself. Between the Towns of Pawling and Patterson runs the Metro North Railroad. The Great swamp runs through that area also. That stretch of Railway is about 3 miles. They found over 50 dead deer along the stretch. I saw a picture of about 15 dead bucks. Real sad to see 

WI Outdoor Nut
On 11/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, atticus said:

Checked the cameras again today--all bucks on them.  seems like there was a lot of rutting activity the last few weeks. some nice ones--I hope they stick around. 10 days until shotgun season.

I am like a little kid before christmas looking at trail camera photos.  Right now I have over a dozen up and each time I open up the files, I can't wait to look at what they might hold.  

On 11/23/2020 at 9:09 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I am like a little kid before christmas looking at trail camera photos.  Right now I have over a dozen up and each time I open up the files, I can't wait to look at what they might hold.  

True dat. I only have two up right now. Pulled a few others. One at camp acting as surveillance for camp break ins and one out back below a ladder stand. Pulled one at my bow zone and another I had near a stand at camp. I have 5 total cameras. Deer seasons have wound down in Maine to a couple weeks left of expanded bow and muzzleloader. Bucks aren’t cruising much now, and I haven’t seen the spike, 4 or 6 pt or the big 10 come through for a while now. May reset one in bow area. I’ll put a few back out in our property to watch winter critter activity. Not usual to of course get a load of deer, and also coyote and bobcat. There are moose and bear around but I haven’t caught those on my own postage stamp sized land yet.

So....any Updates Billy?

I religiously watched trail cams for a few years, but I've concluded they only show the big boys that swim the Wabash in to IL on Oct 1 never to be seen again until pre-season next year.

Still fun to see though...

It’s been a tough week here, every so often life gets in the way of our hobbies. My upland season in the Berkshires ended with a whimper, but the Shotgun deer season Starts 1/2 hour before sunrise tomorrow morning.  I went out and pulled the cards this afternoon and there are still bucks around. I flagged a couple spots for me and my nephew to sit in—basically we will be 100 yards apart along a ridge overlooking the vernal pool behind the house. We should have both entrances into the area covered. 

The latest pics from the vernal pool behind the house. Maybe I can fill my tag this year.... It’s been more than 20 years.

STC_0004-X3.jpg

STC_0005-X2.jpg

STC_0015-X2.jpg

WGI_0006-X2.jpg