There's hope!

Nothing moving in my area this morning. Heard a couple shots in the distance and a buddy hunting a few miles away saw some does. I got out of the woods as the rain started. Maybe they are hunkered down. I’ll go back out tomorrow afternoon when this blows over. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• tclprin

• drummer's stump

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can happen quick, I was in the stand just a few minutes maybe 3 or 4 and I saw a doe come out that was acting squirrely. Then I saw a small buck come out, then saw a glint of antler coming through

My travails at filling my buck tag are well documented here.  Last year was the best season I had in a long time--passing on several spikes and having my nephew score a nice 8 point.  To keep an eye o

I think I know why the deer are winding you....

Posted Images

Fire Marshal Bill

I hate hunting in the rain. Since I retired I don't hunt or fish in the rain anymore, use to, but not now. I can afford to wait for better weather. 

I hate getting wet myself however still hunting in the rain is extremely effective if you want to kill deer.

the wind and rain covers your movements and scent

I’ve killed a lot of deer with both longbow and gun doing it in rainy windy days

I was expecting the wind and rain to continue into the morning so I slept in. Woke up to 60 degrees, no rain and no wind—so got set up late. Sitting in my spot now; you never know!  The Weather is supposed to cool off this afternoon.

Don’t be picky Billy....geterdone....a European skull mount of even a smallish buck would look nice in your man den...then there is the tenderloin, backstrap etc....wicked wind and rain overnight here. Power popping off and in, but stable this morning. Miracle. Huge dead spruce hovering over garage snapped and fell, away from garage which is another miracle. Lots of clean up if rain settles down. I’m gonna devote tomorrow to some muzzleloader hunting I think. 

Where did all the deer go? I know there were here recently—there is physical and photographic evidence......

I haven’t seen a hair yet this week.  I know I’m a poor deer hunter but I usually see a doe or spike. Probably because they know they’re safe.

Thats alright, I need the quiet time too.  (A little try at reverse psychology). 

“My” spike, 4 pt and 10 pt haven’t crossed my trail camera out back for over a week. If I’ve learned anything it’s that things can change in an instant, and when you least expect it. “Your” bucks and does have likely shacked up in a thicket somewhere. When they are done propagating the species they will be moving again. 

11 minutes ago, bntsetter said:

The woods are alive now....with people.

I’ve only seen 2, which is also odd. Usually see more pumpkins too. 

Nothing but squirrels around this morning. I pulled the chips on my cameras and only a few nighttime pics of a does and a spike.

Out for an abbreviated afternoon sit. Sunny and 45 is very nice.  

2 hours ago, atticus said:

Nothing but squirrels around this morning.

that sound like a bulldozer or a bull moose in the fallen leaves!😒

Listen for blue jays. If you hear a bunch screeching, get ready. They often follow deer through the woods accosting them. This is your year!

IMG_0183.JPG

Incentive.

I couldn't go out this morning but my nephew is out there.  I had a doe and a skipper walk though the back yard while I was having coffee and texted him.  He doesn't have a doe tag this year but with his luck the big 10 we have been looking for will walk right up to him.

I'll be back out this afternoon for a few hours. 

I made it out for a couple hours last night and again this morning in a new stand (first two sits on this stand). What I’m seeing is that the deer are still in the general area, but they have changed their routines.  Around here (north nj) the mast is gone, most of the browse is gone, and food is starting to be limited. A month ago they were still in their fall patterns and scouring the same places that acorns had dropped (still finding some). The rut was in full swing so bucks were doing laps of the wood lots looking for the right doe. Now they seem to be settling into their winter patterns, finding thickets, and not moving much. 

all that said, find the nearest food closest to the thickest cover and the deer won’t be far. Today’s stand wasn’t deep enough in so I’m moving a couple hundred yards deeper/thicker.  There are trails at today’s stand that are beaten down and scrapes all along them.  It has been useful to find because now I know better what the bucks travel routes are.  I’ve been hunting them on another part of their rut loop, but never connected the loop. Now I think I can (two loops actually).  Since I shot a buck already though, I am now honing in on the does and they aren’t running the same routes. 

thanks

rick