There's hope!

drummer's stump

It can happen quick, I was in the stand just a few minutes maybe 3 or 4 and I saw a doe come out that was acting squirrely. Then I saw a small buck come out, then saw a glint of antler coming through the woods and this guy stepped out yesterday afternoon. 

IMG-0519.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• atticus

• Brad Eden

• tclprin

• drummer's stump

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It can happen quick, I was in the stand just a few minutes maybe 3 or 4 and I saw a doe come out that was acting squirrely. Then I saw a small buck come out, then saw a glint of antler coming through

My travails at filling my buck tag are well documented here.  Last year was the best season I had in a long time--passing on several spikes and having my nephew score a nice 8 point.  To keep an eye o

I think I know why the deer are winding you....

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

It can happen quick, I was in the stand just a few minutes maybe 3 or 4 and I saw a doe come out that was acting squirrely. Then I saw a small buck come out, then saw a glint of antler coming through the woods and this guy stepped out yesterday afternoon. 

IMG-0519.jpg

Looks like a PA mountain buck...

drummer's stump
Just now, Marc Ret said:

Looks like a PA mountain buck...

I am back in the Hollow

11 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

I am back in the Hollow

Taking back my “like”. Kidding, congrats on that buck.

2 hours ago, drummer's stump said:

I am back in the Hollow

That's how far he rolled down the hill. :)   PS.  Nice solid deer.  Something about putting organic free range meat in the freezer is pretty special. 

I've only see two does this year despite all the activity on my cameras.  My enthusiasm has waned over the last couple weeks but I'll go sit for a couple hours this afternoon.  

6 hours ago, atticus said:

I've only see two does this year despite all the activity on my cameras.  My enthusiasm has waned over the last couple weeks but I'll go sit for a couple hours this afternoon.  

I had a really slow year. I hunt a good size public but very little pressure, only 2 hunters during bow and they dont get more than a couple hundred yards from road.  Not sure what was going on in me area. 

If you hunt only one spot the deer can easily pattern you.  Try moving to different areas if you can.

Try hunting farter back from your camera closer to where you suspect the deer beds.

A second 80 year old got a buck yesterday. This 71 year old joins Atticus...maybe in 20 years. Did have a running shot yesterday that I messed up! Done until next week and blackpowder and the season is over.  Best wishes!

Joe and Buck.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I took a couple weeks off from deer hunting--I just wasn't in the mood.  But, remembering that we are about to enter the outdoor doldrums-from the end of hunting season until the beginning of sugar season-- I figured I better get out there.  So yesterday I loaded up the T/C Renegade and headed out for an afternoon sit.  I was pleasantly surprised to jump a couple deer on the way into my spot--activity had been zero since firearms season opened-- but nothing came by my stand.  I grabbed the chips from my cameras on the way out and there had been 3 does I jumped.  I have 4 more days to tag a buck.  

WGI_0002-X2.jpg

Are you restricted to a Buck or can you shoot a Doe with your license/tag?

Cant eat the horns as they say.

Sort of--in my zone there are Doe tags available to buy every year-- I just never do.