need advice -- Garmin Alpha 100 / TT15 in the grouse woods

boon hogganbeck

I tend to hunt pretty heavy cover (like, beyond 25 yards the dog is invisible), and I notice that my Garmin isn't giving the most accurate read on my dog when he's out 50-150 yards.  For example, it might say he's 50 yards to the NE, but from his bell, I can tell he's really to the the NW or even W.  I have it set to 2.5 second updates and I calibrate the compass before every trip, but it's not as accurate as I'd like.  Do you guys have any tips?  Sometimes seconds count, and I've come not to trust the thing when he's on birds. I wasn't really planning to run a bell on him, but I'm doing it now b/c the Garmin just isn't giving me an accurate enough location when he's birdy b/c it sends me off in the wrong direction.  It gives me a good ballpark idea of his distance, but beyond that I'm not finding it as useful as I had hoped.

I'm running the the short factory antenna--would running the long antenna on it help?

boon hogganbeck

I should also mention, I tend to hunt places that have some tree canopy (like shelterwood cuts or dense stands of birch/aspen).

If by saying canopy you mean leaf cover that can have an effect. The GPS signals are only a couple of watts. It may take a few seconds to initialize a location with true canopy. A dog can travel quite a distance in 2.5 seconds, add that to initialization delay, you can have some error.

Also remember that both units carry with them a circle of uncertainty.

That being said if the dog is pointing for any amount of time the direction and distance should be quite good.

boon hogganbeck
23 minutes ago, ScenicRoute said:

You’re looking at the big compass right? Not the running pointer? 

Not sure I follow what you mean.  I've been looking at the "compass" function (the right side button on the home screen), not the "map" function (the left hand button on the home screen).  Should I be using one rather than the other?

boon hogganbeck
24 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

If by saying canopy you mean leaf cover that can have an effect. The GPS signals are only a couple of watts. It may take a few seconds to initialize a location with true canopy. A dog can travel quite a distance in 2.5 seconds, add that to initialization delay, you can have some error.

Also remember that both units carry with them a circle of uncertainty.

That being said if the dog is pointing for any amount of time the direction and distance should be quite good.

Yeah, I mean leaf cover.  The swings I'm seeing (even considering how much a dog can move in 2.5) are pretty big.

If the compass shows off direction when on point you can set the north direction. True north, magnetic north, or you can custom set it with + or -.

boon hogganbeck
22 minutes ago, greg jacobs said:

If the compass shows off direction when on point you can set the north direction. True north, magnetic north, or you can custom set it with + or -.

Interesting. I didn't think of that feature. Which one has been working best for you?

I made the mistake of thinking the little pointer next to the dogs name was the direction the dog was from me.  To the point I almost threw the whole thing away. Finally realized that the big compass had a pointer on it that was actually the direction the dog was in relation to me.  

yeah I’m an idiot. 

3 hours ago, boon hogganbeck said:

Interesting. I didn't think of that feature. Which one has been working best for you?

Magnetic north works pretty good. In the east its different than here. You can set the collar out 50 yards and play around till you are happy. Seems like the default may have been true north which here in the west was off a ways.

If you use the map I set mine to direction of travel so it rotates. Then you can rotate till it points towards the dog on the map. At that point you are facing the dog. If you have it set as north on the top of screen it will really screw with your brain. Lol. Then you have to point the handheld north then see where your dog is compared to you on the screen. Not good lol.

My son uses the map. I always use the compass heading then check distance.