Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease

EHD has been confirmed in Whitetail Deer by NYS-DEC in my area of NY. There are traditionally a bunch of deer in my area but this year they are kind of a rarity. In the past when I left home before sunrise I always saw groups of them in the corn fields. This year if I see one it’s a surprise. 
One day last week before sunrise, I was driving on a dirt road on my way to go pheasant hunting. Up a bit I see a deer standing on the side of the road. As I approach the deer does not run. Strange behavior on these dirt roads. Deer have learned not to stand still when vehicles approach. Especially If the vehicle is going 5 MPH. I drove within 10 yards of that spike buck. He never moved or even looked at me. After 3 or 4 minutes he very slowly walked into the center of the road and stopped. Shuffled around a bit. Walked to the other side and stood there. Still on the dirt road. After another 5 minutes I drove around the deer on the shoulder and he still did not run. 
No sign of blood anywhere on the deer. Bow season has been open for a month.

What do you think? An extremely stupid young buck that won’t back it through gun season or EHD?

Sounds like a sick deer to me. Generally most deer in New England won’t stick around when humans are around.

Birdcountry70

Sounds like EHD.  Around here we mostly call it blue tounge. We had a buck on my inlaws ranch a few years back that was standing in a field with its head down slowly walking in circles.  We called the fish and game who came and shot it. It tested positive for EHD. I  think we've had it here  4 times in the last 20 or so years.  Sometimes it has knocked populations way down,  sometimes not so bad. Usually it depends on how soon we get cold weather and frosty nights which kill the biting gnats that transmit it. It looks like a  miserable way to die.

We’ve only had one good frost and the temps are back in the 70’s for the last few days. From the bow hunters I’ve talked to it seems the deer herd has taken a real beating.

NYS DEC is also requesting if you come across sick or dying deer , especially near water sources, that you give them a call. They will come out and investigate.

There was a bad case of blue tongue 4-5 years ago in the area I pheasant hunt, here in N ID. Some of the creek bottoms reeked from dead deer. Years prior to the die off we would see a high number of whitetails....5-6 years later it doesn't seem like the numbers have come back to what they once were.

An article I read about EHD indicated that the deer that contract the disease will congregate along water sources to try and cool down from the high temperatures that go with the disease. The article also stated that since deer will move to a water source to drink, it can make it worse due to the gnats being more prevalent in the more moist areas. Unfortunately, the area where I hunt pheasants in also known as the banana belt of Idaho and the cooler weather, with frost, usually doesn't occur as early as most other areas.

On 11/8/2020 at 5:35 AM, Brdhntr47 said:

EHD has been confirmed in Whitetail Deer by NYS-DEC in my area of NY. There are traditionally a bunch of deer in my area but this year they are kind of a rarity. In the past when I left home before sunrise I always saw groups of them in the corn fields. This year if I see one it’s a surprise. 
One day last week before sunrise, I was driving on a dirt road on my way to go pheasant hunting. Up a bit I see a deer standing on the side of the road. As I approach the deer does not run. Strange behavior on these dirt roads. Deer have learned not to stand still when vehicles approach. Especially If the vehicle is going 5 MPH. I drove within 10 yards of that spike buck. He never moved or even looked at me. After 3 or 4 minutes he very slowly walked into the center of the road and stopped. Shuffled around a bit. Walked to the other side and stood there. Still on the dirt road. After another 5 minutes I drove around the deer on the shoulder and he still did not run. 
No sign of blood anywhere on the deer. Bow season has been open for a month.

What do you think? An extremely stupid young buck that won’t back it through gun season or EHD?

I’m in the Mid-Hudson valley are of NY. Real bad here

Spoke to a bowhunter today that has found seven dead deer near one swamp. He had pictures of one very nice 8 point buck. He has only seen one live deer all week, a small fork horn. 

We don't have a problem this year in Va, but in years past we would find dead deer always around water Blue Tongue.  Seems like they get a very high fever and head to a water source.  It is much worse during warm dry conditions as I recall.  Something to do with Midges getting up their noses.   

Another real problem with deer in Va right now and specifically where I hunt is  CWD.   We have had 10 cases in the County I hunt.  Fortunately none right in the area where I specifically hunt but probably 20 miles away as the crow flies.  This is serious serious stuff.  Any deer we kill on opening day of rifle has to be checked by the State at a game checking station.  They pull a sample from the brain.  I still have not figured out exactly how they handle it if you kill a deer in those targeted counties and want to process it yourself.  I think if you take it to a processor they have to take samples but I'm a bit unclear on that.    I have a friend who hunts in Fredrick County Va for deer and that's ground Zero for CWD.  I'm not sure I'd even eat a deer that was taken in that county. 

Left the house this morning at 4:00 AM to go pheasant hunting. Drove 70 miles through excellent deer country and only saw 3 deer grazing on the side of the roads. Usually I would see dozens.  I think the deer hunters are in for a tough opening day on Saturday.

Here in Wisconsin we are blessed with both blue tongue and cwd. On my buddies farm there are 2-3 ponds. A few years ago we found 4-5 bucks, all 2-3 years old that had died right next to the water from blue tongue. Better yet, another buddy has 400-500 acres in southwest part of the state. He is huge on taking kids hunting. Always emphasized quality deer management. But now about 50% of the deer he harvest test positive for CWD. And he has been told the average live span for a deer who is infected is 18 moths. So he figures it is almost impossible he will have bucks older than 2 1/2 years on his land in the future. When CWD was first found, the powers that be didn’t have the fortitude to handle it correctly. It was the first time it was found east of the Mississippi. Now it has spread pretty much the southern half of the state, soon to be statewide. And it’s no getting rid of it. Gave up bow hunting when my wife told me no way we would be butchering or freezing any deer in our house. Sad where we are headed. 

15 hours ago, Tilkut said:

Here in Wisconsin we are blessed with both blue tongue and cwd. On my buddies farm there are 2-3 ponds. A few years ago we found 4-5 bucks, all 2-3 years old that had died right next to the water from blue tongue. Better yet, another buddy has 400-500 acres in southwest part of the state. He is huge on taking kids hunting. Always emphasized quality deer management. But now about 50% of the deer he harvest test positive for CWD. And he has been told the average live span for a deer who is infected is 18 moths. So he figures it is almost impossible he will have bucks older than 2 1/2 years on his land in the future. When CWD was first found, the powers that be didn’t have the fortitude to handle it correctly. It was the first time it was found east of the Mississippi. Now it has spread pretty much the southern half of the state, soon to be statewide. And it’s no getting rid of it. Gave up bow hunting when my wife told me no way we would be butchering or freezing any deer in our house. Sad where we are headed. 

The high fence/canned hunt outfits brought CWD here. There was virtually no health regulation, animals were smuggled around the country and even  across borders. Some of those businesses that got infected just cut the fences and let the diseased ones loose. Crazy.