Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease

Looks like EHD hit this area hard. We are 13 days into the General Gun season. Eight guys hunting the two farms adjacent to my place. One shot fired for one dead deer. Seven of the eight guys hunting here have moved on. They saw nothing.

The river drainage my ranch is on was clobbered with EHD in 2011.  Dead deer all over.  I estimated at the time about 75 to 80% of the whitetails were killed.  Last year was the first year since the kill that we saw deer numbers about equal to the prekill days.  

Mule deer were pretty much unaffected.  Antelope got hit hard and we found one dead elk. 

It's a terrible disease but given my druthers I would rather have EHD hit the herd than CWD. 

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to my rancher friend this morning, he he told me EHD took out a significant percentage of deer this year in his area. 

On 12/3/2020 at 7:31 PM, Big Al said:

The river drainage my ranch is on was clobbered with EHD in 2011.  Dead deer all over.  I estimated at the time about 75 to 80% of the whitetails were killed.  Last year was the first year since the kill that we saw deer numbers about equal to the prekill days.  

Mule deer were pretty much unaffected.  Antelope got hit hard and we found one dead elk. 

It's a terrible disease but given my druthers I would rather have EHD hit the herd than CWD. 

I would have to parrot Al with the bad news on EHD.  The drought of 2012 decimated our herd locally.  To the point the only survivors were fawns that lived in a yard down the road  right next next to a corn feeder for months.  It took until the last couple of years for the deer to reappear in numbers behind my house and I finally started bow hunting again locally.  The first large buck I had seen on camera and in person since 2011, escaped me.  I travel an hour to hunt typically for numbers and size.  6-8 years time to rebuild the herd is the norm in my experience.