Carhartt coat for dogs?

topdog1961

Every winter I buy my big, dumb, but lovable GSP a winter coat. And I watch him destroy at least one, often two, every winter. Despite having access to the garage where it never gets below freezing, he shivers when it cools off, hence the coat. But he rubs the top of it against the top of the door in his dog house (in the garage) and makes short work of the nylon quilted ones. Yesterday, while shopping on Amazon for this years coat, I saw a Carhartt coat for “hard working dogs”.  I figure these have to be more durable than quilted nylon. But the fitting and attachment system look dubious to me for a dog that is constantly going 100mph, so it seems. 

Anyone have experience with these?

61CDC649-4569-4E23-BAB0-85E166F5297F.jpeg

topdog1961
1 hour ago, Remo said:

Dog house floor pad heater, 60 degrees, one and done.

He would destroy that right away. I put rubber mats in the doghouse that are for use while standing in front of machinery, for example. He digs and digs on them until he shreds them. I have one for my Britts kennel, but he can’t have one. 

The look on his face says it all. 

BA4F643F-50CB-494F-8CCC-03CE69397033.jpeg

topdog1961

Luger’s new coat arrived. It looks well built as most things Carhartt are. I wish the neck was a little smaller, but his neck is small for his body size. I guess he doesn’t need much neck to support his pea size brain. The neck straps are Velcro, as is the belly strap, but I have it small as it goes and it still rides back to his shoulders. 

I also wish the “Polyester Taffetta-Quilted Lining” had more quilting. I can’t tell it has any, it just looks like a lining to me.  Not the best for warmth.  But anything is better than nothing and I don’t think he will be able to destroy this one like the others. After one day wearing it, it seems to be staying in place well. 

He hasn’t told me what he plans on carrying in his two pockets, one open and one with a snap. Perhaps a biscuit for a mid hunt snack, and a copy of “Bird Scenting for Dummies”. 

I’m a little concerned that the coat makes him look too much like a deer, what with the upcoming gun season and all. Perhaps I should have got the blaze orange one. That’s only mildly tongue in cheek, coming from someone with a slug hole in his garage window. 

B37A6BB5-7B1F-4A7E-8FCB-63087CB336AA.jpeg

Brdhntr47

How about old school. Fill 1/3 of his dog house with straw. It worked 60 years ago with hounds that slept outside in zero temps.

UplandHntr

No way I’d be taking that pup out in deer season.

Best of luck

topdog1961
13 minutes ago, Brdhntr47 said:

How about old school. Fill 1/3 of his dog house with straw. It worked 60 years ago with hounds that slept outside in zero temps.

That probably would help a lot, but they live in the attached garage, that’s why it never gets below freezing. The straw would be everywhere and that would be the “straw that broke the camels back” for the Mrs. She would kick me and the dogs out of the house. I run an electric heater out there on the coldest days. He’s made it through 7 winters with a coat, he’ll survive. 

Seeing how firearm deer season started here yesterday I have been liking the fact that Axe is mostly White 😁 If I put one of these jackets on him I would feel ~ nervous 😮 

Have a shop or your welder son build a hound heater out of steel and bolt it to the dog house it’s surface will be hot enough he probably won’t chew on it anyway 

run the power cord thru conduit so he can’t chew that either 

7 hours ago, bobman said:

Have a shop or your welder son build a hound heater out of steel and bolt it to the dog house it’s surface will be hot enough he probably won’t chew on it anyway 

run the power cord thru conduit so he can’t chew that either 

How does the heater keep from starting a hay fire

I’m thinking one of those horse stall rubber pads with a hound heater under that. Surely he can’t dig into that. It would be tougher than the workplace rubber mat he shredded. If I leave the heater on all the time the heat should radiate through I would think. 

Sounds like an awfully good justification for a heated garage!  It'll be a lot more comfortable for you in the event you have to sleep with the dogs.

The hound heater is just a light bulb enclosed in a metal box so the dog can’t hurt himself

the bulb heats the metal and the metal radiates heat into the dog house, like a “mini wood stove” with a bulb for a heat source instead of fire

you would bolt it to the upper wall inside his doghouse ( not under it) you could also mount a thermostat again in a cage or box so the dog can’t get at it 

it’s would be a little bit of a project but not technically difficult 

I wouldn’t mount anything electrical under something my dog sleeps on there’s a multitude of problems, one being if he’s wet it’s drains down and water and electricity are never good combination, and the potential for a fire

feed it with a GFCI type circuit

build it right the first time and build it so it’s easy to service if the need arises

He doesn’t spend nights in the doghouse inside the garage. They sometimes use it during the day while they are running loose and free to go outside in their 3 acre efence. At night I crate them separately in the garage so they don’t run around the yard all night and bark at everything that goes bump in the night, or get skunked. Also, as they are contained in a small area, there are very few instances of messing in the garage. They look forward to being tucked away in their crates each evening, often standing in them with a look that says “hey, give me my bedtime biscuit, I’m tired.”  So the hound heater as you describe it wouldn’t work for that, as the heat would escape the wire crate. I was envisioning a heated mat under a rubber stall mat. I have a heated mat for the Brittany, which I put under a rug for her in her crate. It has a built in circuit breaker like many hair dryers. Fortunately she doesn’t destroy things like he. During winter months, they don’t have access to any water to get soaked, and have cover from the rain in the garage. The GSP hates getting wet, unless hunting is involved. 

I’m liking the Carhartt coat more and more. He’s not even been able to fray it by scratching his back against the doghouse door, and it is staying in place well despite his wild gyrations. 

I have a stall mat as a crate pad and it has lasted 2 years so far. Every time he gets kenneled he goes nuts scratching the pad, it fits tight so he cannot get at an edge to chew.

For the overnight crate, could you find an insulated crate cover?  I have one from Scheels, looks identical to the older Mud River cover.  I zip the door closed when it gets below 20F and he stays warm inside, can feel the heat when I unzip the door.