Tell me about pressure canners and canning venison

topdog1961

A customer gave us a quart of canned venison recently and it was fantastic in my wife’s noodle recipe. We are also short on freezer space for the buck I recently shot, so I’m considering learning to can. I have no experience. Recommendations for pressure canners, recipes, things to look out for?

Are jars, lids, and canners in short supply, like many things are?  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• Birdcountry70

• Okhotnik

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The weights work fine, I simply prefer a gauge because I can see the needle where it is at and tell if its going down or up when I am adjusting the heat. I use to can with a weight and did fine.

I can a lot. Don't really can just meat, I can soup, stew and chilli with meat. There are vegetables in what I can and they don't fall apart. I can with peas, carrots, patatoes, onions and beans. The

I’m hearing popping noises, so that must be good. I got the $80 canner and it came right up to pressure. It has a similar “floating valve” that is designed to pop up and seal once a small amount of pr

Posted Images

Finding components is going to be tough...

Canning venison is quite easy.  We cold pack in jars with nothing but a little salt.  I want to say 75 minutes at 11 pounds, but don't quote me on that.

It really is easy and delicious.  Pheasant and grouse is also very good, but with birds, I sear and brown a bit in a fry pan first and use chicken broth to fill air space.

Good luck!

Its pretty easy to do. Ive been canning deer, elk, antelope, trout, salmon, tuna , birds etc for years. Suggest getting the largest canner available. I like presto brand

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Aluminum-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner-and-Cooker/2625289?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Glass-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-Regular-Mouth-32-oz-12-Count/14234956

As mentioned finding jars and lids is tough now.

I cold pack too with a pinch of kosher salt, pepper, garlic, onions and carrots. The vegetable kind of disintegrate but give good flavor .

topdog1961
2 hours ago, Kre said:

Finding components is going to be tough...

Yep, I need these fast, and made some calls. Whoever bought all the ammo for the coming apocalypse must have also bought all the canning jars. 

Like my survivalist room mate in college used to say: “Someday the sh**s gonna hit the fan. And when it does, I’ll be sitting on a mountain of Beannie-Weenies. And don’t f*** with my Beannie-Weenies!”  

What do you mean by “ cold pack” in this context?

Thanks I’m very interested in canning venison

1 hour ago, bobman said:

What do you mean by “ cold pack” in this context?

Thanks I’m very interested in canning venison

We prep our jars like we do for any canning.  Then, we add a bit of salt and pack cold, uncooked chunks of meat in the jar...packing it as tight as we can w/ a wooden spoon handle.  That's it for us.  We do mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. when we are ready to eat it.  

Birdcountry70

I've been planning on trying this. There are a bunch of good how to videos on you tube. Have 3 deer boned out and frozen awaiting results from CWD tests. This should make a good  winter project if I can find the jars and lids. One of the videos I watched used taco seasoning and diced jalapeno peppers and he used it for quesadillas, tacos, burritos etc. They looked delicious. 

Treerooster

I can a lot. Don't really can just meat, I can soup, stew and chilli with meat. There are vegetables in what I can and they don't fall apart. I can with peas, carrots, patatoes, onions and beans. The only thing I do different with veggies is I don't cook the patatoes all the way before canning. I can anything with meat in it for 75 minutes at 13 1/2 lbs pressure. A little more pressure due to my higher altitude.

Some things I do that may help.

I prefer a canner with a dial gauge. It's more accurate and I can watch it get to pressure. I like a bigger canner, especially when canning meat (75 minutes) or fish (100 minutes). I have a 20 pint canner in which I can fit 18 pints (in 2 layers) or 7 quarts. Never could figure out how to fit 20 pints in it.

Be sure to clean the rims of the jars after filling them with the food. This helps get a proper seal. Any gunk on the rim can foil the seal. Using a food funnel is pretty much needed IMO.

I like to soak my lids in hot water to soften the rubber when I tighten the lid down. May not be necessary but it seems I get less unsealed jars.

If you use a canner with a rubber gasket, remove it from the canner lid as soon as you take the canner lid off and lay it flat on the counter. It will last longer. I think the heat and cooling on the metal wears it out sooner.

Don't set it and forget it. Once I get my canner up to pressure I have to watch it somewhat closely for the first 20 minutes or so. I need to continuely adjust the heat down so the pressure doesn't get too high, but still remains at 13 1/2 lbs. It seems to level off after 20 minutes, but I still check it periodically until the canner is off the burner. I can on an electric stove BTW. When I am watching the canner closely I tend to do a lot of the clean up from cooking.

I don't store my canned jars with the rings on. The rings tend to get gunk on them, or will rust after a while if left on the jars. My rings last a very long time over many cannings.

3 minutes ago, Treerooster said:

I can a lot. Don't really can just meat, I can soup, stew and chilli with meat. There are vegetables in what I can and they don't fall apart. I can with peas, carrots, patatoes, onions and beans. The only thing I do different with veggies is I don't cook the patatoes all the way before canning. I can anything with meat in it for 75 minutes at 13 1/2 lbs pressure. A little more pressure due to my higher altitude.

Some things I do that may help.

I prefer a canner with a dial gauge. It's more accurate and I can watch it get to pressure. I like a bigger canner, especially when canning meat (75 minutes) or fish (100 minutes). I have a 20 pint canner in which I can fit 18 pints (in 2 layers) or 7 quarts. Never could figure out not to fit 20 pints in it.

Be sure to clean the rims of the jars after filling them with the food. This helps get a proper seal. Any gunk on the rim can foil the seal. Using a food funnel is pretty well needed IMO.

I like to soak my lids in hot water to soften the rubber when I tighten the lid down. May not be necessary but it seems I get less unsealed jars.

If you use a canner with a rubber gasket, remove it from the canner lid as soon as you take the canner lid off and lay it flat on the counter. It will last longer. I think the heat and cooling on the metal wears it out sooner.

Don't set it and forget it. Once I get my canner up to pressure I have to watch it somewhat closely for the first 20 minutes or so. I need to continuely adjust the heat down so the pressure doesn't get too high. It seems to level off after 20 minutes, but I still check it periodically until the canner is off the burner. I can on an electric stove BTW. When I am watching the canner closely I tend to do a lot of the clean up from cooking.

I don't store my canner jars with the rings on. The rings tend to get gunk on them, or will rust after a while if left on the jars. My rings last a very long time over many cannings.

Good advice.  I use a rag soaked in vinegar to wipe down jars near tops before putting on lids

Swampy 16

I canned my deer every year for about 10 years then discovered vacuum sealing. Haven’t done it since but it’s something I’d gladly do again but I need a cooker. It’s excellent in any recipe. I saw canning jars online, are they all gone? This was a couple weeks back. I was gonna order some for cellaring pipe tobacco.

Birdcountry70

I don't know much about canning but I'm learning.  I had assumed that I could use our instapot for canning venison but it seems like it is highly discouraged.  The problem being the electric ones run at too low of a pressure (and temperature) to reliably kill the microbes that cause botulism. I'll see if I can borrow my mother in laws to try it out. When I was a kid we had an enormous garden which I hated and is probably why I still have no interest in gardening. My mom had our pressure cooker running constantly in late summer and fall but I only remember her doing vegetables and fruits, never meat.

topdog1961
20 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

I canned my deer every year for about 10 years then discovered vacuum sealing. Haven’t done it since but it’s something I’d gladly do again but I need a cooker. It’s excellent in any recipe. I saw canning jars online, are they all gone? This was a couple weeks back. I was gonna order some for cellaring pipe tobacco.

there are some cheap off brands on amazon. The reviews I read said they were no good for canning, but they should be fine for storing tobacco. 

thanks for all the advice, especially Treerooster. My wife picked up a 22 qt pressure canner at the local hardware store yesterday. Why can you only get 7 quart jars in a 22 qt canner? Seems like false advertising to me. 

molliesmaster

Love this topic and would like to can some meat this winter. 

I'd like to venture a guess at the qt capacity issues.   I think the qt size listed is the volume of water/liquid the pot will hold and not the number of qt jars. 

browndrake
26 minutes ago, molliesmaster said:

I'd like to venture a guess at the qt capacity issues.   I think the qt size listed is the volume of water/liquid the pot will hold and not the number of qt jars. 

This is accurate.

We can a lot. We also so a lot of meat..wild, domestic, poultry. Canned meat makes great sandwiches, or shredded over rice or potatoes with gravy. And even canned burger a few times.

I have a some small pressure cookers, that hold 7qt jars but do most of my canning with a couple large All American canners. They hold 19-21qt jars each depending on jar brand. They are great pressure cookers but a bit spendy