Tell me about pressure canners and canning venison

Birdcountry70
29 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

read the reviews and product descriptions closely on Amazon, some of them are not for canning. A previous post said Walmart had some. 

The ones I was going to order are Ball brand, advertised as canning jars. Our local Walmart is out of all the pints. I figured a quart is too darn much meat, half pint is not enough. So what is in there with the meat? Just salt?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• Birdcountry70

• Okhotnik

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife opened the first jar of my first batch of canned venison tonight. She made it with noodles and served over mashed potatoes. Damn is it good. Great flavor and the broth is very rich. I don’t wa

The weights work fine, I simply prefer a gauge because I can see the needle where it is at and tell if its going down or up when I am adjusting the heat. I use to can with a weight and did fine.

Finding components is going to be tough...   Canning venison is quite easy.  We cold pack in jars with nothing but a little salt.  I want to say 75 minutes at 11 pounds, but don't quote me o

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

The ones I was going to order are Ball brand, advertised as canning jars. Our local Walmart is out of all the pints. I figured a quart is too darn much meat, half pint is not enough. So what is in there with the meat? Just salt?

ball jars should be fine. The guy at work’s recipe is two beef bouillon cubes in the bottom and one teaspoon of this general purpose meat seasoning on the top. No water added, the meat makes its own juice. I couldn’t get this seasoning at Rural king as he did, so I used something similar my wife had. 

E63B948C-3367-4D4A-9A65-3EA9B4488DDF.jpeg

16 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

I’m hearing popping noises, so that must be good. I got the $80 canner and it came right up to pressure. It has a similar “floating valve” that is designed to pop up and seal once a small amount of pressure builds up. I followed the instructions on the first one but the floating valve never popped up, despite a raging boil and the 10psi weight on the open post.  It never developed any pressure. So I just hope the local hardware store is good with refunds. 

thanks for all the help. 

edit: I just checked and they all seem sealed. So I guess my first foray into canning is a success so far, despite the unexpected hassle. 

2nd edit: I just walked out into the kitchen and in the low light, seeing all those canning jars lined up, for a moment I was 10 years old, and I looked around the room for mom. 

5B75CD00-39F3-4F7F-84C6-6EB5C589C5F9.jpeg

0DDC236C-3113-41BF-8A05-65D6EFC927C9.jpeg

Its will sometimes take up to 20 min after boil before valve starts operating

Just now, Okhotnik said:

Its will sometimes take up to 20 min after boil before valve starts operating.Popping noises are good indicating a good seal

27 minutes ago, Okhotnik said:

Its will sometimes take up to 20 min after boil before valve starts operating

I let it go at a raging boil with the weight on for at least that amount of time, nothing. The instructions were terrible, it didn’t even mention this floating valve. They started out by telling me to look for the “open” and “close” stamped on the lid, there was only an arrow stamped. They said the button that somehow released the floating valve was in the handle for smaller units, and at the rim of the lid for my size. Mine was in the handle. There was no instruction as to how the button worked or how to use it. There was some sort of spring loaded push rod gizmo that was supposed to press the seal in and prevent it from sealing unless the lid was in fully locked position. The illustration showed it hitting the rubber seal and pushing it in. But in reality the rod never touched the seal even when fully pressed it. I don’t feel the least guilty about returning it, assuming the local small hardware store can get their $ back from their supplier.  

the second unit had the floating valve without the button and pushrod gizmo and it came right up to pressure. 

• 4 weeks later...

My wife opened the first jar of my first batch of canned venison tonight. She made it with noodles and served over mashed potatoes. Damn is it good. Great flavor and the broth is very rich. I don’t wanna brag (well maybe I do) but it’s better than either of the jars I was given that made me want to can deer in the first place. And other than the defective pressure cooker, it was very easy. There will always be room on my cupboard for canned venison. 

9BCC8A0D-B88B-4DDA-99D8-3F889C3FABDA.jpeg

As I said above, I couldn’t get the seasoning recommended with the recipe, so I used the one below. I like it better. I don’t know where my wife got it, but a google search says it’s widely available including Walmart and Amazon. 4.8 star reviews. All I did was put two beef bouillon cubes in the bottom of a pint jar, fill with cubed venison steak, add a teaspoon of seasoning, seal and cook for 75 min at 10lbs pressure. No water, the meat makes it’s own broth. 

532AB645-1D8E-4709-9CFA-7D0B58DC39C8.jpeg

Other than freezing backstraps and ground venison, all the other cuts are canned!  I'm trying to draw an antelope tag out west next season and gonna do the same with it!

Birdcountry70

I canned a bunch of venison this past weekend and it went well. I got an old all American canner and converted it from a petcock to the rattle weight system. I used the same recipe top dog posted with the addition of a half clove of garlic and a chunk of onion in each jar. We used it in quesadillas and it was geat.