Where is the Elk posts?

17 hours ago, idcut said:

IMG_0965.JPG

Congrats.  Nothing better than driving right up to a downed elk.  Worked out well for my first elk, been hoping to replicate it since.

Yeah it was nice the farmer gave us the go ahead to drive across his field! It probably wouldn't have been too bad loading half of the elk into the sled and dragging it across the frozen ground, but you're right nothing better than loading one directly into the vehicle.....good luck on the future replication! 

On 12/11/2020 at 4:02 PM, idcut said:

As I mentioned a bit earlier in this thread, I had a cow elk tag for a local unit. I talked with a farmer a bit south and he said at one point he had around 100 elk out in some timothy grass field he owned and to go ahead. Well i finally got out, drove to where he indicated the elk were hanging out and arrived to the spot about 15 minutes before legal shooting time. A friend and I sat in the truck for about 10 minutes and headed out across the field. The field has a rise to it and we couldn't see on the other side if the elk were in the field. It was still fairly dark from being overcast when my friend took a look through his binos. He indicated he saw around 1/2 dozen, so we stopped and waited for 5-8 minutes and then he took another look. The cows had moved to the backside of the rise, so we crouched down and slowly made our way to where we could peek over the rise. When we could see over, we slowly stood erect and I couldn't see anything, but he being 5-6 inches taller than I said "there they are...closer than we thought." I crawled and pushed my pack the final 15-20 yards to the apex of the rise and peered over.

Standing below were about 40 head grazing in the grass. I spotted a cow standing off by herself, located her in the scope...she looked like a good cow, so I zeroed in behind her front shoulder and let one fly. At the shot, I didn't see her go down from the recoil and the others were milling about, so initially I though I'd missed. I asked my friend if he saw her drop and he indicated "like a rock!" Finally the others cleared and I saw her downed in the field. Paced off 225 paces from where I shot, with my old style Ruger model 77 300 Win mag, shooting 200 gr Nosler partitions. 

We walked back to the truck to get the sled and on a whim, I called the farmer to ask if we could drive across his field to pick it up. He said if it's got a good freeze on it, go ahead and in the course of our conversation, he said last week there about 170 head of elk in the field. Fortunately it was frozen solid, so we drove out and picked her up. We thought we could load her in whole after dressing her, but weren't able to, so my friend got the sawz-all he brought along out and we cut her in half to get her loaded. 

Shot her at 0700 am and got her skinned and hung in my friends unheated shop and back home by around noon. About the easiest elk I've ever shot and thankful for it!

IMG_0965.JPG

That’s awesome