So, what is everybody else having for thanksgiving dinner?

3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Yep!  Can you get it where you are, Don?  If not, PM me an address and I’ll mail you some.

Whadda guy!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• munsterlander

• mccuha

• Mike da Carpenter

• Remo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm done.....      

Just pulled the 22 pound Turkey out of  our circa 1920’s Glenwood Cook Stove

Apple wood smoked on the Weber -- haven't done this for a couple years -- looking forward to it.

Posted Images

My wife and I both work retail. For a number of years we volunteer to work Thanksgiving Day. Our kids are grown, moved away and have their own family traditions. It also gives some of our co-workers a chance to have dinner with their families.

We're not big turkey dinner fans. Even half a small turkey is a commitment for a couple of senior citizens. we haven't decide what I'm cooking for Thanksgiving. It is down to grilling steaks or braising an antelope shoulder. I leaning towards the antelope.

Ours will be at home this year.  Turkey breast with pan juices and then made to gravy.  Mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallow of course, rutabaga's boiled and mashed with honey and cinnamon on top, brussel sprouts grilled in the oven with my own spices, southern greens with vinegar, dressing/stuffing with sage and all the good stuff, as well as the usual cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. 

We normally spend the dinner and day down the road with friends and their relatives but due to covid we all agreed that distancing was the best thing.  It will be a good bit more quiet as we all usually trade hunting stories from the seasons so far but there is always next year.  

I read through the entire thread, and it all looks great, but I jotted down PA Dutch dried corn, and oyster casserole, to take a look at.  I think I'll pass on the dried corn, and do my mom's recipe for baked corn instead.  But definitely will be adding some oysters to the dirty rice, along with some meat from a few diving ducks that's in the freezer.  We're buying a smoked turkey from a neighbor that sells them as a Sertoma Club fundraiser.  Also will have some brisket for a cousin who says she "can't eat anything with feathers".  She's my wife's cousin, a spinster, and nice lady, and always invited to our house for meals and holidays.  She will join my wife and I, our daughter and family, and my wife's dad, (8 of us).  We will miss our usual crowd, and will be in touch with our daughter and family in upstate NY.  

Anyway, I'll also have the grill going for anything my grandson brings over, including ducks, feral hog sausage, or even frog legs.  And of course, the traditional cornbread dressing and cranberry sauce, even if I end up throwing half of it away.  The apple pie and pecan pie will not be thrown away, however, but the last bite savored with black dark roast coffee. 

A sip of Wild Turkey 101 with a cigar will hopefully cap the evening off, along with prayers for everyone here, and everyone in this country, especially for everyone suffering from or due to the Covid.  

We raised some heritage turkeys this year, they’ve been interesting having around.  They’ve called in some wild ones on several occasions.  They’re very friendly, people have been stopping to watch them, they walk right up to visitors gobbling away.  We decided to keep a couple breeding pairs, the rest are going in the freezer, and the first one to go will be this week for Thanksgiving.  

3FABB474-774C-4F41-86FB-98F52D18FAF8.jpeg

On 11/21/2020 at 10:25 AM, SelbyLowndes said:

Just a turkey breast for the two of us.  And oyster casserole, cornbread dressing, green-bean casserole with the little brown onion things on top, Cranberry-apple casserole.  And a store bought pecan pie.  Store-bought because we tried for years to fix one as good as the store bought and couldn't do it...Geo  

I had to look up oyster casserole and that really sounds good. Thanks for the idea.

47 minutes ago, Remo said:

I had to look up oyster casserole and that really sounds good. Thanks for the idea.

Me to care to share your recipe

munsterlander

For years we have served California Quail breasts as appetizers.  Breast meat marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary, thyme and then lightly grilled.  My brother and hunting partner says the relatives always ask, to make sure the quail will be served.  

On 11/21/2020 at 11:25 AM, SelbyLowndes said:

Just a turkey breast for the two of us.  And oyster casserole, cornbread dressing, green-bean casserole with the little brown onion things on top, Cranberry-apple casserole.  And a store bought pecan pie.  Store-bought because we tried for years to fix one as good as the store bought and couldn't do it...Geo  

Don’t know if the oyster pie is a southern thang or not. That’s the one thing I look forward to each thanksgiving and Christmas.   I could eat just that and as desert as well 

I bought a whole beef tenderloin today but Im not sure why. Theres only a few of us. Lots of different ways to use it up down the road I guess. 

munsterlander
39 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Don’t know if the oyster pie is a southern thang or not. That’s the one thing I look forward to each thanksgiving and Christmas.   I could eat just that and as desert as well 

Would love to have an oyster pie, or oyster casserole, recipe.  Please share if you have one you think is great!

11 hours ago, munsterlander said:

Would love to have an oyster pie, or oyster casserole, recipe.  Please share if you have one you think is great!

I wouldn't mind sharing the recipe. I'll have to get with my FIL. He's the one that makes it every year.   I think it's pretty simple.  I know it has of course oysters, but it has saltine crackers, milk.  I'll have to find out and post .