So, what is everybody else having for thanksgiving dinner?

AKThomas

Normally we go to inlaws, and my parents, eat way to much, sometimes drink too much, but always a good time.  Parents have a number of health issues and it has been decided to hold off, and can say I will really miss it.  But I do think it is the prudent thing to do.  So my wife and I were planning on making dinner on our own.  So we bought all the traditional stuff we need.  Then to find out my mother in law is going to make everything anyway, and drop it off.  Anyone need a 15# turkey?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mccuha

• munsterlander

• Remo

• Don Steese

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife and I both work retail. For a number of years we volunteer to work Thanksgiving Day. Our kids are grown, moved away and have their own family traditions. It also gives some of our co-workers a

Just a turkey breast for the two of us.  And oyster casserole, cornbread dressing, green-bean casserole with the little brown onion things on top, Cranberry-apple casserole.  And a store bought pecan

Beef short ribs slow cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven, browned first of course. Homemade white cheddar Mac & cheese, split Brussels sprouts coated in bacon grease and seasoning cooked in a cast ir

Posted Images

My bride is cooking mine and my son’s favorite dishes.

Sloppy Joe’s, Mac n Cheese, and Root Beer!

Root Bber floats for desert!

Then, I’m going to smoke Hog blackstrap the next day.

Yummy!

Cooter Brown
23 hours ago, mccuha said:

Don’t know if the oyster pie is a southern thang or not. That’s the one thing I look forward to each thanksgiving and Christmas.   I could eat just that and as desert as well 

22 hours ago, munsterlander said:

Would love to have an oyster pie, or oyster casserole, recipe.  Please share if you have one you think is great!

Reach out to SelbyLowndes and GLS.  One or the both of them posted a very traditional recipe for it last year.  Both of those gentlemen are from the part of the country where folks know how to make that dish.

I found it in my Bookmarks--this is the recipe one of them posted and said was very good and authentic.

Scalloped Oysters

munsterlander
41 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Reach out to ShelbyLowndes and GLS.  One or the both of them posted a very traditional recipe for it last year.  Both of those gentlemen are from the part of the country where folks know how to make that dish.

I found it in my Bookmarks--this is the recipe one of them posted and said was very good and authentic.

Scalloped Oysters

Great!  Thanks!  I just ordered my oysters, and I'll pick them up at the oyster farm tomorrow!  I'm hoping this will be a new tradition around our Thanksgiving table.  If the gang isn't wild about them, I will eat it all myself!  When I was a kid here, and other northern places I fished, we were able to pick our own oysters.  Those days are pretty much gone.  But I love them critters.

I should have the recipe by tomorrow am.  FIL doesn’t per say have a recipe he has It in his head 

Nothing. I have to work. Usually they spring for some turkey or brisket, but this year the turds on day shift all cried and demanded fajitas. Fajitas. On Thanksgiving. This is Texas, they can have fajitas every day of the week. And I hate fajitas. So I guess I'll eat some tuna or something else stanky and leave the can in the trash for them to sniff in the morning when they're all hungover. 

On 11/23/2020 at 9:00 PM, munsterlander said:

Would love to have an oyster pie, or oyster casserole, recipe.  Please share if you have one you think is great!

here you go. Again this is a recipe that is only in is mind( for the life of me I don't understand why people just don't write this stuff down).

Amounts depends on size of pie.

In a buttered casserole dish, add crush  saltines mixed with 1-2 pieces of toast cut up; spread some of this in the bottom of dish, add oysters ( more the better), do with butter, salt and pepper; continue layers of saltine, toast and oysters, atleast 3 layers ending with just the crushed saltines. You can add a few drops of hot sauce to the layers if you like. Then pour half and half milk over it so it gets juicy. H&H milk gets soaked up. Let it set in fridge for a few hours or overnight.

Bake 45min on 400.  If the casserole dish is really big may need to bake a little longer.

hope this works.  This is probably my most favorite dish . I wish it was made more often.