So, what is everybody else having for thanksgiving dinner?

My wife is no fan of turkey, we have never made one for Thanksgiving but she will tolerate ham and we often make a small one.  This year lasagna is it although I did have a turkey burger for lunch as a bit of homage--not really planned, just a leftover from a meal earlier this week.  Planned, I'd have bought some cranberry sauce for the side, but this year's baked pie is Cranberry-Apple so it's sort of worked into the menu anyhow.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• munsterlander

• mccuha

• Mike da Carpenter

• Remo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm done.....      

Just pulled the 22 pound Turkey out of  our circa 1920’s Glenwood Cook Stove

Apple wood smoked on the Weber -- haven't done this for a couple years -- looking forward to it.

Posted Images

Ate out in the neighbors front yard with just the 4 of us.

Salad

Conch Bisque

Tuna Poke

Asparagus

Stone Crab Claws

Maryland Crab Cakes

Sliced Filet Mignon

Pecan Pie Tarts

A little fancier than usual but trying to forget 2020

Told the wife I'd cook thanksgiving this year since we weren't going anywhere. We've been stuck home for 15 days or so due to her and I coming down with the Rona. (Okay I might have snuck out for a hunt or two)

Did a farm fresh turkey on the grill this year. Started life as 15Lb bird but I only cooked half due to it just being the four of us. 

Simple brine for 20 hrs then indirect over lump charcoal. Came out amazing. Grilled turkey is where its at. 

Also did mashed taters, squash, stuffing, carrots, rolls, etc. 

128046083_3534601159952644_9176946404029644635_n.jpg.6b202b286b0d886969efa81df8aba905.jpg

128363699_3534601186619308_5917954203324417181_n.jpg.0a5b0926578ba2c1533c1a8a509fa842.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

That has got to be the neatest stove I have seen.  If only it could tell the stories of the meals it has cooked over the years.

My wife grew up with that stove since her father bought it off the side of the road in Southern New Hampshire back in the early ‘70’s. They gave us the stove in 1985 when they sold their house and we stored it for 13 years until we had a hearth and chimney built for it in our house that we bought in 1996. We cook on it almost exclusively all winter long.

Beyond being our main source of heat for the winter, I make some pretty good pancakes on it! And yes, the turkey was delicious.

Samuel Hoggson

Boss had to work ED today.  So we're doing the meal tomorrow.  Daughter made a special apple pie depicting some mythical/fictional beast. 

krakenpie.thumb.JPG.29f28301eff737cd02c413c17eb2d39d.JPG

I'm good for half that apple beast myself.

7 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Boss had to work ED today.  So we're doing the meal tomorrow.  Daughter made a special apple pie depicting some mythical/fictional beast. 

krakenpie.thumb.JPG.29f28301eff737cd02c413c17eb2d39d.JPG

I'm good for half that apple beast myself.

Krackin Pie!...SelbyLowndes

Just me and Taser, my GSP. Even as a youngster I thought turkey was much overrated.

Here's today's dinner:

50650657196_a381fa93dc_k.jpg.

Charcoal grilled rack of lamb with a mustard, garlic, bread crumb and olive-oil crust, zucchini pancakes , tossed salad with lemon juice/olive oil vinaigrette and a really nice Zinfandel pre-ceded of course by a derigueur vodka martini. The zucchini pancakes are definitely not "...your mother's zucchini pancakes...", in addition to the regular ingredients (obviously grated Z, beaten egg and flour) chopped scallions, red pepper flakes, grated Asagio cheese and served with a generous dollop of sour cream. For dessert - a  seldom indulged in but generous slice of cheese-cake  - which is still awaiting. 😀.

Ruger 1

21 hours ago, munsterlander said:

Thanks to y’all’s inspiration, yesterday I popped over to the oyster farm. Casserole is in the oven. I’ll report back on the reviews. image.thumb.jpeg.7201eb4180934e3dc0922fe845671bb7.jpeg

I sure hope it came out to meet your tastes.    Our oyster pie tastes very similar to our oyster stew a very cold night meal in my neck of the woods.  It s mainly milk, little butter, salt ,pepper,and lots of oysters.  Once in your bowl crumble a bunch of saltines in and I always like a couple sweet pickles in the bowl but to the side.  A little sweet and salty mix

munsterlander
On 11/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Reach out to SelbyLowndes and GLS.  One or the both of them posted a very traditional recipe for it last year.  Both of those gentlemen are from the part of the country where folks know how to make that dish.

I found it in my Bookmarks--this is the recipe one of them posted and said was very good and authentic.

Scalloped Oysters

You guys inspired me and I got fresh oysters at the farm and used this recipe.  I thought it was great!  The other oyster-eaters enjoyed it too.  Very simple to make.  The stuffing at our meal (contributed by our daughter-in-law was a bit mild and dry for my taste, but with the oyster dish next to it on the plate, there was a bit of fortunate mingling!