Lebanon Bologna

Back in October I was In Pennsylvania for work, I stayed in Harrisburg and worked over by Newport along the freeway helping secure a large rock outcrop that had been dropping crumbs onto some motorists. If any of you Pa guys drive the 322/22 by newport you might have seen me hanging out in the man basket above you. One of the guys I worked with out there gave me a lebanon Bologna sandwich, something I had never had before. I really like it and had never seen this at home in Cali so I stopped off at the grocery store  to pick up a pound or so to take home. There were two brands Seltzers and I believe Boarshead was the other brand. Since I noticed it was made in Pa I picked the Seltzers brand, I saw there was regular and sweet so I picked up some of both along with some beer cheese another thing I don't see here in Cali. Both were good but I preferred the regular to the sweet. I have looked all over since getting home and can not find it anywhere, no one has ever heard of it.  Is Lebanon Bologna an east coast thing or just a PA thing?  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave in Maine

• gwponr

• jeff88

• Marc Ret

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People drive up from Boston for the charcuterie from the Amish guy in Unity.  Great story - he was a chef in one of those $600 a plate restaurants in Chicago and burned out.  One day he'd had enough a

About a year ago one of the local HyVee grocery stores here in Mn. started to carry it, much to my surprise. Both regular and sweet I prefer sweet. Last month I took a pound of thin sliced for sandwic

The Pennsylvania I grew up in, knew and loved is dead, buried under suburban sprawl.  The fine, industrial salt-of-the-earth cities like Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown, Reading have been turned into som

Posted Images

I buy it all the time in MO at a small Amish shop.  There is one as well up in WI where I hunt.  Question is, do you have Aimish in Cali?

My folks came from Nova Scotia - Big Stick was something of a play on words brand - Maple Leaf brand was commonly brought home.  Cut 1/4" - 3/8" thick, fry in butter and enjoy.  A whole bologna declared on the way out of Canada was as common as declaring "A liter & a carton each" on the way in.

Not really sure what the question is - I just miss being 5 years old and getting a slab of fried bologna for diner on Saturday night after coming home from N.S.

Love Lebanon Bologna, first ate it as a kid, now 57 and still enjoy it. Sold in all stores here in my area of WNY (Seltzers), so not just PA.

Give Leberkase a try and see what you think as I believe it to be similar.  Here in NY & NJ we used to have Karl Ehmer for a place to get it. 

Mike da Carpenter

Eat it a couple times a year when I’m lucky enough to find it here in MI.  When I had Commissary privileges at the Air Force Base near where I live, it was always bought for the ride home on a slice of rye bread with a squirt of mustard (we call that an open face sammich).

About a year ago one of the local HyVee grocery stores here in Mn. started to carry it, much to my surprise. Both regular and sweet I prefer sweet. Last month I took a pound of thin sliced for sandwiches and a pound of thick sliced to fry for breakfast to the cabin with @Crazy Setter grouse hunting. @Marc Ret used to make it growing up if I recall correctly.

Last week happened to notice the same HyVee had Turkey Hill ice cream. Been almost 40 years since I had it but bought 3 containers of it to take home just to verify that it was as rich and good as I remembered. It is 😀

Now if Hyvee would only carry scrapple so that I don't have to order it from Leona Meat Plant in Bradford County life would be complete. Leona will only ship to me in the winter and shipping is more than the scrapple.

Dave in Maine

Says this guy raised in Pennsylvania on Dutchie cuisine, "it's a Pennsylvania thing.  Because it's good, it's spread slowly across the northeast."  I can get Seltzers here in Maine, and I can get scrapple, too.  Just had the last of a pound of it with my eggs.

This place ships.  Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is good.  I buy in person at the Allentown Farmers' Market when in the area.

https://sclydeweaver.com/product/lebanon-bologna/

This place, I don't think they ship. If you phone they might.  But they make it all there.  Like 6 or 8 variations on Lebanon bologna, summer bologna, you name it.   Just surfing their site is like a trip to Meat Heaven.  It's right off I-78 on top of a hill - there's a billboard.  You can smell the smoke down at the corner.  When you come out, your clothes will smell of smoke.  About as good as it gets.  Not cheap, but worth it.

https://dietrichsmeats.com/index.html

For those needing scrapple, you can get Habersett's off Amazon.  This might be the best priced deal:  6 lb for $33 plus shipping.  I usually buy Habersett's when in Philly, though Hatfield's is just as good.

1 hour ago, Dave in Maine said:

Says this guy raised in Pennsylvania on Dutchie cuisine,

Dave in Maine, knew there was something likable about you.  You seem so rational for someone with that handle, now I know.

We just had our annual PA hunt.  Before going to camp I did my grocery shopping at Wegman's in State College.  Picked up 1/2 pound sliced, smoked ham and a pound of Lebanon Bologna though I don't recall the brand or type.  The Bologna disappeared faster than the ham.  Living here in TX, have never noticed it anywhere.  I like it on whole grain bread, with sliced swiss cheese, sliced tomato, dark mustard, no less than 4 slices of bologna.  It's 9:24 AM CST as I write this and already hungry for lunch.  

BTW PA-ers, Wegman's is a fine @$$ grocery store!  It reminds me a lot of HEB here in TX.  

Dave in Maine
5 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Dave in Maine, knew there was something likable about you.  You seem so rational for someone with that handle, now I know.

We just had our annual PA hunt.  Before going to camp I did my grocery shopping at Wegman's in State College.  Picked up 1/2 pound sliced, smoked ham and a pound of Lebanon Bologna though I don't recall the brand or type.  The Bologna disappeared faster than the ham.  Living here in TX, have never noticed it anywhere.  I like it on whole grain bread, with sliced swiss cheese, sliced tomato, dark mustard, no less than 4 slices of bologna.  It's 9:24 AM CST as I write this and already hungry for lunch.  

BTW PA-ers, Wegman's is a fine @$$ grocery store!  It reminds me a lot of HEB here in TX.  

The Pennsylvania I grew up in, knew and loved is dead, buried under suburban sprawl.  The fine, industrial salt-of-the-earth cities like Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown, Reading have been turned into something approximating Bedford-Stuyvesant 1985, the South Bronx 1980, and Newark and Camden, NJ in any year.  Their neighborhoods are now marked by ongoing low-level gang warfare between the Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, all exports from the big cities sent out by millennials gentrifying and Disneyfying them.  There are even some homegrown gangs, like the "Money Rules Everything" gang in and around Bethlehem.  One of their associates screwed them, or screwed up a drug deal, the other year.  So they burned him alive over it.  https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-mre-bethlehem-homicide-tyrell-holmes-arrest-20190912-u2snfdjsobdwldux7rqwtshxc4-story.html

Maine - at least my experience of Maine - is as close as I can get to the way I want to live.  There's a lot to love about Maine.

Now, what we really need is a good, brutal, deterrent Maine winter to chase all the people with NJ and NY plates on their cars back into the urban hellscapes and suburban dystopias they ran from this year, landing in places like rural Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.  

22 minutes ago, Dave in Maine said:

The Pennsylvania I grew up in, knew and loved has been buried under suburban sprawl.  Maine - at least my experience of Maine - is as close as I can get to the way I want to live.  There's a lot to love about Maine.

Now, what we really need is a good, brutal, deterrent Maine winter to chase all the people with NJ and NY plates on their cars back into the urban hellscapes and suburban dystopias they ran from this year, landing in places like rural Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.  

...and eloquent too!  That PA upbringing at work.

PS:  I love Maine too, only a little experience went a long way.  If I retire next spring then a fall trip may include ME and PA hunting in one swell foop.   

1 hour ago, Dave in Maine said:

Says this guy raised in Pennsylvania on Dutchie cuisine, "it's a Pennsylvania thing.  Because it's good, it's spread slowly across the northeast."  I can get Seltzers here in Maine, and I can get scrapple, too.  Just had the last of a pound of it with my eggs.

This place ships.  Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is good.  I buy in person at the Allentown Farmers' Market when in the area.

https://sclydeweaver.com/product/lebanon-bologna/

This place, I don't think they ship. If you phone they might.  But they make it all there.  Like 6 or 8 variations on Lebanon bologna, summer bologna, you name it.   Just surfing their site is like a trip to Meat Heaven.  It's right off I-78 on top of a hill - there's a billboard.  You can smell the smoke down at the corner.  When you come out, your clothes will smell of smoke.  About as good as it gets.  Not cheap, but worth it.

https://dietrichsmeats.com/index.html

For those needing scrapple, you can get Habersett's off Amazon.  This might be the best priced deal:  6 lb for $33 plus shipping.  I usually buy Habersett's when in Philly, though Hatfield's is just as good.

Holy crap,  I could get on a plane just to go through Deitrichs meats, like a destination vacation  I'd need a couple days to sample everything  at least and an extra suitcase for the trip home. 

Thanks for the link to S Clyde Weaver placed an order today 

Dave in Maine
27 minutes ago, gwponr said:

Holy crap,  I could get on a plane just to go through Deitrichs meats, like a destination vacation  I'd need a couple days to sample everything  at least and an extra suitcase for the trip home. 

Thanks for the link to S Clyde Weaver placed an order today 

A good friend used to drive out from northern NJ to Dietrich's for some of their dried beef/jerky product and, by the time they got home the whole pound had been eaten in the car.

Love it! And as Coldiron said we can get it here at HyVee. What I do is buy a bunch cut thin and then vacuum seal and freeze into smaller packages. These go into the freezer as they hold up perfectly to freezing. 

Try wrapping a paper thin slice around spiced pickled asparagus!!! One of my favorites. 

Olaf

4 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Founded right here in Rochester, and ever expanding across the country !